hydroboost ?

zukinut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My brake booster went bad and its gonna have to be replaced. What all do i need to swap to the hydroboost. Can i buy the parts new or?

Thanks in advance,
Will

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will, you will need the following:

a) hydroboost unit - the one from the late-'80s and early-'90s F-Superduty trucks (the ones with the 10-lug wheels) is a direct bolt-on to your firewall and pedal assembly, your master cylinder will either bolt up directly, or will need minor mods to fit over the hydroboost studs. If you wanna go fancy you can grab the brake pedal assembly from the F-Superduty as well, as it gives you a better linkage geometry, but it ain't entirely necessary. Price on hydroboost depends on where you get it from, remanufactured ones from parts store are over $200.

b) pressure hoses - one from the PS pump to the hydroboost, and another from the hydroboost to the steering box down on the frame. You'll also have to add a return line from the hydroboost to the PS pump reservoir, but you can use regular transmission hose for that (even tho they do sell a "special" hydroboost return line). Price on hoses - about $50 for both pressure hoses, return line will be by the foot.

c) power steering pump reservoir - with the hydroboost you'll have two return lines (obe from the booster and one from the steering box), but your factory reservoir has only one return port (currently used by the steering box return line) - the F-Superduty trucks use a reservoir that has two return ports, one at the bottom like you have now and one on top of the reservoir. You only need to replace the plastic reservoir of your current PS pump, the pump itself is plenty good for hydroboost applications. In a pinch you can just T-ee the two return lines (from hydroboost and steering box) into one and feed that into the factory return port, if you go that way make sure it is the hydroboost that gets the straight shot trough the T-ee, and the steering box connects to the side port of the T-ee. New F-Superduty pump reservoir is about $35-$40 from the dealer

d) brake lines and rubber hoses - this don't always apply, but keep in mind that the hydroboost runs about double the line pressure, so anything that could eventually blow with the vacuum booster will definitely blow with the hydroboost. I have converted two trucks to hydroboost (my old Chev and my diesel Ford), both got all new brake lines and rubber hoses at that time, but if your brake hydraulics are fairly new and in good shape this is all not to worry about.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can get all that stuff new, but it's gonna cost you plenty.

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Or find a junkyard and get everything for 50 bucks.:D

That works and hopefully you get something worth buying. I went the retail route because I can't find a u-pull-it within 200 miles of me that has any of our trucks. The one yard that used to have a LOT of them crushed everything when steel went so high.:mad::puke:

BTW, you can buy retail <$300.00