Check out my Rear End!

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
You had to look didn't you,...:backoff

Well It is time to swap out the 4:10's for 3:55. I stumbled across a complete rear end that has been rebuilt, new ring and pinion, Limited Slip, bearings etc for $250.00 Plus it was about 2 miles from my shop and I knew the guy that was selling it.

The rear end needed a new cover, and of course I cant leave well enough alone. If I am going to replace it, I need to upgrade it :D

I did some searches and love the Mag Hytec covers but they run about $250.00 each. After some searching I found that the 08 Ford Superdutys come stock with an aluminum finned cover that bolts directly on to any Sterling rear end. The best part it was only $55.00 from the dealership.

Part number 8C3Z4033A

I will have to buy longer bolts, and I plan on painting it black, and sanding the paint off the ribs. Another guy did that on his truck and it looked real nice. Ill post pics on the next day or 2 when I get it done.

This is a nice cheap upgrade for any of our trucks!

Here are some pics:

Attachments

• IMG_1659.JPG
    IMG_1659.JPG
    949.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1661.JPG
    IMG_1661.JPG
    961.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1660.JPG
    IMG_1660.JPG
    438 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
OOooooo Shiny shiny, pretty pretty.;Sweet Does it hold any more fluid?

Nope still stock amount of fluid, no drain, no temp sender location, (actually you an drill and tap one easily) no dipstick, no O ring seal, but hey it is only $55.00. I probably already mentioned that.,,.LOL

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
I would keep as much clean open surface area as possible... it means more heat dissipation. When you paint it, you are adding an insulating layer. If you must, get it anodized, I do not think that will hurt it thermally. Also, removing any fin surface area will hurt as well. I suppose any form of aluminum is an upgrade over stock though. I just figure if you are gonna make it better... why hurt it for looks?

sassyrel

Reaction score
darrin--dont remove any of the ribs--thats where the strength is--tho i believe by the pics--you just want the tops of ribs to show thru the paint--correct?????????:D

RedTruck

Reaction score
Darrin,

While I wouldn't really go around toting that you recently got your first ribbed cover up your rear end...I would show off that damn fine ribbed differential cover.

Looks great! ;Sweet

Paul

RedTruck

Reaction score
I do not think that will hurt it thermally. Also, removing any fin surface area will hurt as well.

darrin--dont remove any of the ribs--thats where the strength is--

While they are generally ribbed for her pleasure only (not heat dissipation or strength), I think this time it could be ribbed for Darrin's pleasure? :dunno

Paul

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nope nope... Wrong... Its already in the sewer...... About the cooling effects of aluminum. It will pul the heat much faster than the steel cover. My motor oil cools down much faster than you would think it could. The steel oil pan works very well for the cooling off of the motor oil. Now the BTS I have with the Mag Hytec pan that carries an extra 2 gallons will cool down faster than the motor oil. The stock fluid level in the trans is 27 quarts. Now add 8 more quarts to that. Sure hope I never have an Exon Valdis oil spill. That could go on forever... Maybe thru several states....:D

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Darrin, did you ever sell the other 4.10 limited slip you had? I'd like to get a limited slip under my truck...just have to see what the lawyer leaves in my account this time around! :)

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Nifty setup. I've been wanting one of those things but theres not enough clearance for one of those high dollar covers on my truck.
Silverstatefordparts.com has those things for $45 ;Sweet