Wet Passenger floor

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before i bought the Truck we done a pressure Test by the radiator cap to check the Head gasket,and verify if it's holding pressure , The test passed with green colors . Won't that show bad heater core ?

Last edited:

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^ That was before you bought the truck. Doesn't mean it would NEVER leak.

Coolant, washer fluid and water are all very different in appearance and smell. Collect some on a WHITE paper towel; it will become obvious what the substance is.

And a heater core cannot magically leak water, even from a Dodge....

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
^^^^^^ That was before you bought the truck. Doesn't mean it would NEVER leak.

Coolant, washer fluid and water are all very different in appearance and smell. Collect some on a WHITE paper towel; it will become obvious what the substance is.

That's what it was doing on my friends.
Have you seen the fittings on a 2000 Dodge Ram?
They can and will leak.

But like I said I haven't messed with the Ford ac stuff

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They can and will leak.
They still can't leak water. The truck would have to be able to separate, molecule-by-molecule, the water from the anti-freeze.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Ford heater cores are just hose on nipples, so the clamps can be tightened. But those would leak into the engine bay

If the heater box seal is bad and the heater hoses are leaking they can spray coolant and it will leak into cab. This happened on mine.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since the firewall took a big hammer pounding in that area I would suspect the heater core felt the hammer and developed a leak. You can easily lose enough coolant to make the carpet wet and put steam on inside of the windshield and not show up at the radiator tank. 8 gallon system.. if you lose a pint, the carpet will be wet... you won't see it at radiator, yet.

I would pull off both heater hoses and put a fitting between them, which will bypass the heater core.. dry out the carpet and watch what happens. If you still get wet carpets, then the AC drain is plugged... or the elves are partying in your truck while you sleep. ;))

White paper towel first.. takes way less effort.. if you get antifreeze on the towel.. it will show.. then you know.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Checked Antifreeze level its a good level just below the overflow nipple, Ran the garden hose over the roof marker as if i am washing the truck = no water in the cabin , ran it over the Windshield lower seal =no water , pointed the house at the cowling by the windshield arm = no water but water went under the hod , pointed the hose at the passenger door / vent window = no water but small drips when i opened the door by the door jam .

Took the truck to the trash dump after it warmed up and had my son check under the heater core no water , We ran the AC for that short trip No water .

We leaving Today to another long road trip , i will have my Son monitor the passenger side for the Heater core . However my guess if i have a leaking heater core most likely i will have a sweet smell inside the truck which I really DO NOT plus my guess would be the carpet won't dry as good as fast without that slippery, greasy feel if its saturated with Antifreeze since it does not evaporate that easy like water does ..!

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Open hood and spray heater box and hit windshield all the way up the roof post.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They can and will leak.
:puke:

:puke:

SIL just paid a hell'va price to replace the heater core, have to remove the whole dash. Then yesterday the AC compressor froze up. If you can't Dodge it, RAM it.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update : 185 mile trip one way with AC on high the floor bone dry . Heater core dry . AC drain under the truck like it should

Water must been rain water coming from some where . Where is the drain tubes located in these trucks

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got to thinking... Could a puddle have splashed up through that bubba repair in the firewall??

Not sure on how/if the cowl area drains

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this thread sounds like an awesome prank to play on someone... (breaks out water bottle)

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Next time you take the dog with you, put him/her in the back seat, check back there for dampness.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online