new to me 89 f350, got some questions

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Common - Yes

Fix - New parking brake cables

There is also a tensioner that connects the front cable to the 2 rear cables along the outside drivers frame rail. Make sure it isn't trashed as well.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Actually before you jump on the throwing parts at it bandwagon, adjust the rear brakes first.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
That should always be done as no one ever does it even if the self adjusters are functional.

IIRC, to use the self adjusters, you drive in reverse up to 10 mph and hit the brakes. Dangerous if you don't have the space, but since it's new to you, assume the adjusting cables in the drums are broke.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually before you jump on the throwing parts at it bandwagon, adjust the rear brakes first.

I'll check that, but there is so much slack in the pedal it seems that a return spring may be broken or something. When the pedal is not pushed it sits a few inches off the floor.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Very loose drums can cause that.
I will never trust the self adjusters. Not on a Ford anyways.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very loose drums can cause that.
I will never trust the self adjusters. Not on a Ford anyways.

I looked at the pedal this evening when I was pulling the carpet. The pedal is not pulling the cable. Not sure how it is supposed to attach I did not have much time to mess with it this evening

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I have the interior pulled out it seems that it would be an easy time to go ahead and change the trans fluid if I can just dump it in up by the shifter. I found old threads stating that we should use synthetic ATF in the ZF-5, is this the case? And it looks like it should take close to a gallon? Any specific fluid that does any better than others?

*Also, how much coolant do I need to buy? I want to put Fleet Charge in the truck.*

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finished pulling the carpet out last night and I took it and sprayed it at the car wash. The floor looks pretty good over all. I plan to hit some of the rusty areas with a wire wheel then spray it with some of that rust converter stuff to seal it up.

You must be registered for see images attach

This is probably the rustiest spot where the passenger side seat bolts to the floor.

Both of these were rusty.

Before

After, it's still wet in this pic

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a crack on my floor board. It's on the ridge, in front of the driver seat. I am thinking I should have it welded. What are other people doing?

Over the weekend I worked on cleaning the interior some more. I changed the oil, fuel filter, coolant, and trans fluid.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i would use some 16 gauge and plate it.
gonna be an issue if youre planning on running buckets.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
YEP, and i would fab something up like the outter seat mounts, and make sure its mounted correctly.
when one just simply bolts the seat to the sheet metal, this is what happens.
myself, i used ford excape seats and used 1 x 2 box tubing to mount the seats to the 2 outter bench seat bolts, and used the seatbelt mount because the seatbelt is incorporated in the seat.

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something else I was curious about. When trying to start the truck it will not turn over unless the I smash the clutch pedal into the floor. Is there I sensor I can adjust or what?