The Future of the IDI Weekend

FordGuy100

Reaction score
OB has been changing over the last few years. It doesn't feel the same as it used to, and I would wager others feel the same as well. Sad really.

Justin

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OB has been changing over the last few years. It doesn't feel the same as it used to, and I would wager others feel the same as well. Sad really.

Justin
justin- just like you, everything is ever evolving. your focus has changed significantly since the days you showed up with your grandfather's hand-me-down tan colored pickup.
but like everything out there, if you want to change the feel of something, participate. :D
\

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just thought I needed to add this info before any voting is started... as it may be of importance to some.

After some consideration, I would NOT have a show-n-shine as part of the rally. I know this is a break from tradition. However.... It has been and (in my opinion) will continue to be a source of discord and/or disappointment. Sure we can line them up for a picture if we want. Yeah, you can wash/polish/wax your truck if you want. But, if you must have a "car show" type of event to come to a rally... I'm afraid I'll disappoint ya this coming year.

Another break from tradition... There will be a very limited schedule of events (MOB style). Most of the time will not be scheduled for the group. It's vacation and running all over Kentucky with 10+ other trucks my not be your cup of tea. If you want to go with the group somewhere, great!!! If you don't... great!!! Wanna take off and do whatever you find interesting alone, sure... enjoy.

Just some food for thought.

Heath

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Ok I have never done this before and this is a little new but here goes. I would like to throw my hat in the ring for hosting. Right now we are going with Bedford PA. This little town is situated right between Pittsburg and Harrisburg, a little southwest of the center of the state. The town is located at the beginning of the Appalachian Mountains so you western guys will get a break and not have to cross them. It also gives us a little advantage in elevation. At about 1600 feet it runs about 5 degrees or so cooler than my home of York pa in the summertime.
You must be registered for see images attach

I considered some other places like Hershey, Gettysburg, and it was brought up about Johnston with its great history but I thought Bedford would be more convenient being a little on the western side of PA and right off two major highways. Bedford is a beautiful clean old time town surrounded by hills of trees with a rich history. Among other things Bedford was the base for George Washington to put down the whiskey rebellion.

We looked at 4 campgrounds in the immediate area and only one fit what we thought would be great for the Rally.
http://www.friendshipvillagecampground.com/
They were very friendly and open to a group coming in. they seemed popular with the locals and were a busy campground. They were actually booked up the weekend of the 4th but had plenty of openings the week of July 4 through the 10. if you get on their page they would place us together up in the 200's section were we would be in the immediate vicinity of everything we need. This would include the tent sites, playground, pavilion; showers, camp store, pool, lake and laundry are all right next to each other so no one should need to wonder far. Rates are very reasonable at $40 a night. They offer a 10% discount if we get 10 or more families and every 4th night is free. So you can stay 8 nights for the cost of 6 at $36 a night with discount. All of the sites have 30amp/water/sewer/cable hookups and the cabins and tent sights are nearby. The park also has some nice perks like mini-golf, volleyball, laser tag,
kayak, fishing, 2 swimming pools and a nice 5 acre lake we can kayak go on. The campground are also hosting a fun day with games, dunk tank, face painting, blow ups, rock climbing, slide carnival food etc

There are a couple of main events that I would like to do but want to keep a very relaxed overall feel to the Rally.

A trip to the Flight 93 memorial – about 30 min away, I will have to check but there does not appear to be any cost.
http://www.honorflight93.org/memorial/

A guided tour of the local town which is free on July 10th

A visit to Old Bedford Village – a wonderful collection of historic homes shops, craftsman and characters. Characters from the past interact as they occupy the village. The cost is 10 dollars for adults, 6 and under are free
http://oldbedfordvillage.com/index.php

A non-completion truck line up where we can enjoy each other’s rides and get some pictures with trucks and family.

Otherwise there is plenty to do in the area for day trips if families wanted to head out for more fun. No plans would be scheduled for these but they are available.

Delgrossos amusment park- this is a great little amusement park that has a water park and rides for younger ages. Normal cost is 20 for a unlimited water park access and rides but comes down to 15 with a coupon. No parking or park enterance cost, about 45 min away
http://www.mydelgrossopark.com/

there are 14 covered bridges in the sprawling hill of Bedford and a 99 mile course to hit all of them if you desire
gravity hills – where cars roll uphill and water flows the wrong way. A neat little road in the middle of no where about 20 min from camp.
http://www.gravityhill.com/

we are about 10 min from Nathan Bedford state park

there are multiple wineries and breweries in Bedford and the local area

Everett train museam
http://everettrailroad.com/

Something else to note is that there is a autozone, advanced auto, regualar Walmart, weis market and tractor supply about 10 min from the campground. At the entrance to the campground there is a Ford dealership! You are within minutes of multiple restaurants for food and gas stations for supplies.
There is more to do and would be completely open to shifting things or event around as the group sees fit but I hope you consider letting me host for the 2016 rally! My primary goal is to have a nice relaxed event that all makes and model of vehicle are welcome to visit and feel welcome with old friends or new.

Last edited:

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That campground looks like a fun place to hang out and all the other events sound like fun. The truck lineup sounds a lot easer then a show and shine.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jared, thanks so much for putting in a bid complete with all the necessary details! I know that campground well, as we have used it to overnight on many of the other rallies that we attended. It IS a fine place to host the event. All your suggested events sound great.

Heath also sounds like he has a viable bid, although not fleshed out completely yet.

I'd like to take a moment to address some of the other comments that have been made and seem to be re-occurring. First, inclusivity. Throughout the history of the IDI Weekend, the focus has always been on the people who frequent this forum. Early on, we as a group were in a defensive mode to keep the attendance IDI centric in so much as possible. This felt necessary at the time, as there were plenty of competing rallies for other groups (I.E. Dodge, Powerstroke, etc) that also fostered a collective based on a specific genre'. As we continued to grow and then emerged as the only rally that consistently had its act together, some of the more "popular" trucks and engines of choice came into possession by long standing members here. Yes, we did give some of those guys a hard time for converting or whatever, but NEVER was anyone told they were not welcome. And when I say a hard time, I mean we poked fun at them at times. After all, they were in theory tearing down a little at a time that which we had tried to build up. But reality is what it is, and people do need to move on with what works best in their lives. I personally, was not aware that there were hard feelings by some of those guys, but I did wonder why they stopped coming. I always asked, and was always given a reason that was something ELSE. That said, we have always had non-IDI people come to these rallies. The key is that they WERE IDI owners, or were people who at least loved this forum and understood the IDI mindset. As I suggested earlier, A Friends rally is what it really has been all along, and I am in agreement that we no longer need to have an IDI centric rally, but we do NEED to have an rally based on the people who post HERE.

My thoughts on the member map. Many years ago, and I meany MANY. I did member surveys for several years, and compiled them into pretty pie charts annually. They showed an interesting distribution of membership, but the results were not really useful for organizing a rally. You will find large clusters of members all over the country. California and the pacific northwest are a good example. Lots of IDI guys out there. Not too many rallies. Over the years, I have seen many attempts to have a rally out there. There have been a few, but none that I can recall being large or consistent. Those of you suggesting that more, rallies, and not just one, are the answer, would be disappointed to find out how that really just doesn't work, at least in the right half of the country. This is especially true if you are in the "would like to go to a rally but have never gone" category. The fact that there were two rallies this year is exactly the reason why this thread got started in the first place. We tried it. It didn't work. And now we are trying to get back on track with what has consistently worked for over a decade.

The show and shine. Certainly, if someone wants to host a rally that does not include one, that would be their prerogative, but we are all motor heads, and hanging around looking at each others trucks is what we have always done, and will continue to do, be it in an organized fashion or not. That is how we learn. Maybe we are at the point now where we no longer need awards or prizes, but I would personally miss the photo line up and the opportunity to show my friends when I get back from vacation what a great group of vehicles we had there.

Changes - yes, we have all seen and will continue to see change. We had a very strong core group of people here, many of which we still have, but also many of which no longer post here. Young people used to trend right towards the newest brightest shiniest toy. But those trucks are not performance mod friendly, and cost a kings ransom, so we are seeing new people who come from the texting generation. Not a bad thing. But, they do come with a different perspective which may grind gears with some of the older people here. The reality is, if these things are to continue, they are the future that we must embrace. Too many of us older clams have lost drive and enthusiasm, and cannot be counted on to carry forward. What will be lacking is leadership. I don't see many young people of the caliber needed to replace us old dogs. One exception is Elijah, host of this years IDI Weekend. I wish more of you had come to meet this fine young man. He id definitely well poised to be the most senior many here at some point. We need more young guys like him. Maybe we have some and I just don't know it, but if we don't have these rallies, and they don't come, we won't find out!

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not much fleshing to do I'm afraid. This is it. LOL

Here are the places I'd think folks would like. Will try and do A FEW together as a group, however, all will be a "go if you want, stay if you don't" kind of thing. There are tons more in the Louisville area if you are so inclined....
https://www.makersmark.com/distillery/tours
http://sluggermuseum.com/
http://www.derbymuseum.org/plan-a-visit/tours
http://kyrail.org/

Campground
http://koa.com/campgrounds/louisville-south/

Dates: ??? End of June or early July... No promise about the 4th being part of the rally.

Saturday will be my first day off since the MOB rally... AND... I have $5400 in damage to the camper/tires/wheels.... so no time/camper to vet anything (campground or outings) at all before voting starts.:moon:

Happy to do it if you all want, happy to go to PA or MO if you all want as well. Just want to get out of work for a week, relax, camp, and BS with everyone.:cheers:

Heath

Last edited:

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Well, first off, let me apologize to Nomufflers. When I realized that my job would consume me this summer and money would be tight, I kind of hid in the closet and didn't sat much to anybody. It was very disheartening to not be able to attend a rally after going 4 consecutive years and hosting the previous year. I would prefer to be an attendee next year and relax so I'm not putting in a bid. I would like to see the rally move westward and be located in a better position for the masses. I will say this. #1-I always felt the show and shine was a double edged sword. I chuckled at myself for entering a washed up beat on retired logging truck but always forked up the entry money to support a good cause. Its great to see all the trucks but I must say, it would be good to just appreciate them for what they are, no need to see how they stack against our piers. Everyone has a passion doe their truck, there is no need to undermine it by determining that their truck is less than another's. #2- the MOB style of a loose artinnary is something to really consider. I pulled my hair out trying to create something to do for every waking moment and it didn't pan out. I wound up canceling quite a few events. Despite a smaller attendance, the NJ rally had a wide variety of people and families, single kids in their 20's that went out to enjoy the night life, couples with infants and toddlers, couples such as myself and Shannon with a mix of older kids all the way up to retirees with handicap concerns. It was impossible to create outings that suites everybody and a releif to see people go out and enjoy things on their own. I'd say one day of convoying would be sufficient. I very much enjoy seeing a mass of diesel trucks going down the road and keying up the CB radio for some friendly chatter but its very difficult in my opinion to do this day in and day out all week long.

Now for the crux of the matter. I hate to be the one to break the news bluntly but there is most certainly a dissention amongst the troops as far as the 'elders' are concerned. I saw it first hand, starting with one of our members being scalded in a nationally publicized magazine for having a Cummins conversion under the hood. It may be regarded as friendly ribbing to some but when a person decides to move on from the IDI platform and do something different, it hurts him greatly to be rediculed for his hard work. I hate to air dirty laundary but the elders need to get their act together in order for this annaul get together to remain a success.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
The Rosenthal's would like to invite our friends to come out a bit further west! We have our sights on the Lake of the Ozark area and the campground is Cross Creek RV in Lake Ozark, Missouri. The dates that seemed to work the best were July 9th-16th.
Cross Creek RV Park rates:
• All RV sites are full hook up. Most have both 30 and 50 amp.
$32 Weekdays
$35 Weekends
$37 Holidays LAKE FRONT RV SITES
$35 Weekdays
$38 Weekends
$40 Holidays ($2 OFF with 3-day+ stay!)
WEEKLY
• Rates are based per tent. Some sites can accommodate several tents. Most have electric and water nearby. $25 Weekdays
$28 Weekends
$30 Holidays
Only $20 per additional tent
• Cabins range in price from $49 upwards to larger group cabins priced $159

http://www.crosscreekrvpark.com/features.asp#.VbvLy0aPIcF
This was the email Danielle received from the campground:

Danielle, Thank you, we would love to have your group. The 9th -16th would work good at this time. There is no charge for using the Pavilion as long as you clean up afterwards. The discount offered is pay for 6 nights and get the seventh night Free and we would offer your group unlimited mini golf on our course. Right now the cabins are open too, we have ten to choose from. In order to reserve the RV sites and Cabins we will require a one nights deposit per site/cabin. Good luck in the meeting and let us know either way asap.
Thanks again,
John & Wendy

A few spots that have captured our interest are the following:
*Bridal Cave ($12 ages 13 & up, $6 ages 5-12 at group rate of 15)
*Lemans Go Karts ($16 slick track, $12 standard track)
*Ha Ha Tonka State Park ruins and exploring (Free)
* The original Bass Pro Shop- Cost is as much as your self-control allows. This would be a bit of a road trip to Springfield- about 1 1/2 hours. -20 minutes south is Lamberts Cafe-"Home of the Throwed Rolls" Southern style cooking.
*The area hosts tourist shops, Osage Lake outlet mall, wineries, & variety of restaurants
* Boat Rental is an option we're looking into. If a couple families went in together, this would relieve some cost.
We are open to working in or axing out certain events due to interest however we would prefer families to choose if they are wanting to be more laid back or event oriented. We will have our usual campfire nights and the group pitch in dinner. Also, to keep the stress down, a line up and photo op of the trucks instead of a show will be taking place.
Our hope is that everyone will leave a bit happier, more refreshed than when they came, and to have built a stronger bond than before. We look forward to down time so we can relax, kick back, and enjoy the company of folks whom we've been honored to call friends.
*If you're a planner or researcher and you find locations or attractions that you find interesting, please feel free to share! We can't promise it will happen but are open to suggestions!

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
ok folks I will be starting a new thread now where we can vote on who/what/when and where the 2016 rally will be.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I'll just pop in my 2 cents worth before this thread dies, I almost posted in the new voting thread.
4th of July, I am one of the ones who isn't really free to make it, my family is spread across the country and it's the only time of the year we all get together, I don't live in town, so we all meet up at my place and do a big cookout and fireworks.
I would like to attend the rally sometime, I was originally planning to go this year, but then I injured my wrist at work in Feb (which killed my finances for the summer, wife is a stay at home mom), and I'm still broken (doctor just says I might have to live with shooting pains in it for eternity, but that's life), on a funny note with that though, after the 3rd MRI the doctor told me "you just became the 6 million dollar man" LOL.
I have 3 small children, a 5 year old, a 3 year old, and an 8 month old, if I can't do it in a 16 hour day (figure 700 miles), I can't do it in the truck, which just so happens to be the most reliable vehicle that will fit all 5 of us (and gets mileage, I have a 15 passenger van I'd take cross-country.... if I could afford 4 mpg LOL).
I'd be more than willing to go in the future, if the rally was on a different date and/or ended up being closer.

On a side note, if I do go to a rally where there is a freshwater lake/river nearby, I'd be more than willing to bring one of my boats and fishing gear with if people wanted.