Axle is out, leaking oil looks odd...see pictures

davlun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, old ones are out and need to install new races.

Should I oil the outside of the race before inserting?

Thanks,

David

davlun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1) Axle out - DONE
2) Hub off - DONE
3) Outside wheel bearing - DONE
4) Axle seal - DONE
5) Bearings/Races - DONE
6) Hub - DONE
7) Axle Reinstalled - DONE
8) Brakes - DONE - BUT WAIT - Got the brakes put back in, springs in, there has to be an easy way for those spring but I sure don't know it. Then I noticed that the wheel cylinder was lowly leaking fluid near the pistons, could I have tore the rubber someone causing it to leak? I had to push it in, in order to get the shoes to rest on stops.

Do I need to get a new wheel cylinder now? That would suck but I started this whole thing to stop the wheel cylinder and axle seal from leaking.

Thanks,

David

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I usually undo the bottom springs, then pull the pads apart at the bottom, and it'll squeeze the Pistons back in. Sometimes you have to release the bleeder.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

davlun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cpdenton - That tool looks nice, wish I had known sooner...

79jasper - That is a good idea, will try that next time if just doing the shoes. This time, had to do the wheel cylinder also as the old one was leaking.

The master cylinder is brand new and wasnt leaking until I finished the install, so pretty sure I did something. I know I did the following:
1) pushed both pistons in to get the shoes to sit on rests
2) they were lopsided, so pushed the non-leaking side towards the side with the leak
3) the doodads that sit between the wheel cylinder and shoes were pretty rough where it sits on the gasket, so wire brushed them smoother

Lots of gaps in my knowledge:
1) Is the rubber gasket a dust seal? or is it a brake fluid seal?
2) Is it possible that it is just going to seap some fluid and then stop?
3) Since they are brand new, can I buy a rebuild kit and just slip on a new gastet?

Thanks for helping me learn,

David

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a matter of course, always replace races when replacing a bearing, on a second note, that hub is fine!

Use a punch to drive out old race, grind it on the outter circumference all around, then use it once it just fits into the hub to pound in the NEW race this protects the new race by beating on the old one! Hope that makes sense...it does in my head cause I gone dun it 100's of times.

E D I T..

On a second note, some may dissagree, however I'm of the pack these full float bearings in grease and lightly grease the races, this protects the bearings for the initial torque setting and running once you button it all up and fill the diff with a quality lube, preferrably a synthetic especially if a posi.

JM2CW

Umm yeah... I know the OP is already done but don't pound the race in with the old one, please. Let's strike a very hard race against another very hard race, with a hammer. Great idea! Throw the new race in the freezer for awhile, then warm the hub up to around 250 degrees. It'll just drop in place, then seat it with a brass punch.

I guess I'm "some" here. Don't pack an oiled bearing in grease, the grease keeps the oil from flowing through the bearing and makes one hell of a mess. Bearing burns up, it's just not good. The oil is supposed to cool the bearings. All that's needed is a light coat of gear oil on the bearings before install.

davlun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
79jasper - The wheel cylinder was on the truck for more than a week and no leaking until I started mucking around today, I probably caused the leak I guess.

Ruger_556 - Bit too late. I had read on quite a few forums that people were packing them in grease, and saw some that werent. Eons ago, when I was in college, I had to replace bearings on a car, packed in grease... so I packed in grease.

I guess if you are correct, I should be pulling things apart and pulling all that grease out of there... not my favorite plan. However, I do not want to cause damage, do I have any options here?

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ruger_556 - Bit too late. I had read on quite a few forums that people were packing them in grease, and saw some that werent. Eons ago, when I was in college, I had to replace bearings on a car, packed in grease... so I packed in grease.

I guess if you are correct, I should be pulling things apart and pulling all that grease out of there... not my favorite plan. However, I do not want to cause damage, do I have any options here?

It'll probably be alright... I'd just run it being as you have it all together. A lot of people get away with it. Just keep in mind for the next time you do bearings ;Sweet

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thing I really don't like about it is the next time the hub comes off, having to clean the burned grease/oil mixture out of the hub and bearings, just to find that the bearings are shot and I have to replace them anyway. That's what frustrates me. For average Joe, bearings may or may not last as long as they could have, most probably wouldn't even notice.

You can be sure as soon as everyone get's up in the morning there will be plenty of posts saying how they've packed hundreds of bearings and never had a problem.

davlun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now I just need to figure out my wheel cylinder questions and can go on.

Thanks for info. Going to bed now. :)

David

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I only oil them also. I'll also hold it upright, and dump some oil in the hub.
I'd still try to exchange the wheel cylinder.
You must be registered for see images attach

That's how it should be, although I haven't had a ford one apart, should be the same, or pretty close.
So the dust seal doesn't actually do much, if it's leaking, it's from the cup.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

davlun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so truck been sitting with me not working on it. saw a new leak today, leaking where the axle comes out of the differential...

now my question is this: while looking at that, my eyes traced the brake line, up from the wheel to a 4 way connection. one to front, one to drivers side rear wheel, one to passengers, and one that just goes up to the top of the differential on the frame and has some sort of plug in it to close it off.

what is that for?

davlun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should have asked earlier, any tricks on getting to the rabs valve? I have a bad shoulder, scrunching up to get into there from behind the wheel is not feeling so good.