Ever seen this?

needlenose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pulley is broken off the bearing hub and is just spinning... kinda. The compressor spins smooth. My wife must have been driving when it happened, because I never heard or felt a thing. She's been driving it all over the place like that with no A/C.

You must be registered for see images attach

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure have!

We have a ranger that did this. On mine, the compressor locked up though. I was driving it about 35 MPh through town when it happened. Funniest part....this truck has a full airbag suspension system and lays the frame on the ground, thus, it has no inner fenders. When the pulley let go, I watched it bounce across traffic!

Good luck with the fix.

Chris

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
It's just the front half of the clutch that let go. You need to find out of it did it due to age and wear or if it's because the compressor seized. If the former you can replace the clutch and be good to go.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are missing the portion of the magnetic clutch that is activated to engage the compressor for AC.

It will spin all day when AC is turned off just as you are experiencing now, and then BAM the clutch crabs when electricity is applied and causes it to actuate the compressor.

JM2CW

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all the time.all you need is the outer hub,a shim and a bolt

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its as posted s far. The part thats missing is the part that connected to the pump drive shaft. When power is applied to the coil it magnetizes this piece and sucks it into the part you see causing the pump shaft to spin. They have a free spinning air gap too. If its too much gap the flex steel will have a difficult time being pulled in to the electromagnetic clutch part. Its an easy repair or find a good ac shop and allow them to do it right and get a warranty too. Care must be taken to make sure the pump is not gone bad and locked up or turns ruff. Then a pump replacement is in order and flushing the system because of pump parts getting in the condenser.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Surprisingly, I've actually seen a ton of those a long the road. Mainly near stop signs/lights.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

needlenose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, the bearing locked momentarily and it snapped the pulley loose from the hub. It's been riding on the magnet for the last 2 weeks. The only thing holding it on was the clutch plate.

Wonder if I can get a few more miles out of that magnet??? Just kidding. :)

You must be registered for see images attach

needlenose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are missing the portion of the magnetic clutch that is activated to engage the compressor for AC.

It will spin all day when AC is turned off just as you are experiencing now, and then BAM the clutch crabs when electricity is applied and causes it to actuate the compressor.

JM2CW

Sorry, I just realized I was unclear. I removed the clutch plate, it didn't come off on it's own.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well thats a good pic of what went wrong. You can buy those bearings and pulleys with the clutch ready to go most better auto parts stores or ac shops. You will need a puller installer tool to remove the bearing race from the pump body.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online

No members online now.