Starter relay test/replacement.....part number????

Thefarmboy21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trying to sort out some wiring issues with my 87 and one is that it won't crank by the key. It will crank if I cross the posts on the relay, so I assume it's bad but someone else said it may not be.....so how can I test it? Also does anyone have the part number? Autozone doesn't show any for any year IDI, only gassers. Thanks.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can use a test light and have a buddy turn the key, check for power on the smaller terminals of the solenoid. If there is power there when the key is turned, the solenoid is bad.

I do believe that solenoid is very generic across many different Ford models of the time, so the solenoid for the gasser is likely the same.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See the small 90* wire on the top, pull it off, then take a jumper wire from the battery POS. + and touch it to that terminal, if the starter kicks in then the relay is OK, if NOT, then your not getting power from the key switch. Relay shown has the 90* wire on top, yours may be on the side. If you need a new relay, get one that has only one terminal, on the side or top, it is gounded internally, a two terminal relay, one terminal has to have a jumper to ground.

Pick one that looks like yours if you need a new one. Some call it a solenoid instead of a relay.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...rByKeyWord=starter+solenoid&fromString=search

This one may be the one you need, make sure it's a 12VDC, not a 24VDC iif you pick a different one.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...D=3429309&cmpid=cj&itemIdentifier=365173_0_0_

Attachments

• Starter_relay_93-94 (1).JPG
    Starter_relay_93-94 (1).JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To test the relay, take the small terminal and put battery positive to it, if it clicks and the truck turns over its fine and yes it's the same as the gasser ones.

I would start by checking the voltage at the clutch switch when tring to start from the key, I'm betting it's lost there, it should be a red/Lt blue wire coming from the key switch.

To trace it start at the ignition switch then to the clutch switch, from there it exits the firewall and goes down the frame rail and loops back up and to the starter relay.

Does the key spring back when you move it to the start position?

Thefarmboy21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think my relay has two small posts...so one is just a jumper to ground though?

Anyway, I'll check the clutch switch....I always forget about those pesky things. How do I bypass it OR change to a switch?

The key switch I'm not sure about....I'm not in the truck enough to know. It's been sitting on our farm for a while, but I pull started it the other day and need to get it running RELIABLY before winter. I'll check a few things and go from there. Thanks !

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Ignition switch down on the column could be bad.
(Not the tumbler up to where you put the key)

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online