Facet Duralift not enough pump to keep up?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Facet Duralift not enough pump to keep up?

I don't know why your even asking that question. I don't think anyone is attacking you.
If your not satisfied with the 2 PSI to the IP, then I would get a larger lift pump like the Facet 40222.
Every time a fluid is pumped thru a fitting, there is a slight drop in pressure. Perhaps mounting the pump after the FSV would increase the PSI.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The word was 2 psi is fine from the standpoint of causing pump issues or failures but not optimum for performance. I'm getting attacked here for requesting some information, I wasn't trying to impress my opinion on anyone.
Remember that I'm that guy that always wants not just good enough but the optimal.

i see no attacks.i think it's possible your reading postings the wrong way.

your not alone in wanting optimal.this is why i have been running duralift pumps in the engine bay, issue free for years,hauling heavy loads in a commercial application.
if i can move my loads effortlessly from point a to point b with 99% of the time,pedal to spare,im making money.;Sweet

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just messed with a Carrier for an hour last Friday at 5pm on a hot engine in the sun. changed 3 fuel filters, blew the fuel lines out and still would get 0 psi while running and about 8psi with engine off key on. Truck would not do more than 25mph, starved for fuel and I was 55 miles from home. For Ghits and Shiggles I hooked the mechanical pump back up. Lucky I had a hard line and fitting at work to make one from the pump to the filter head. truck fired right up, had ~4psi and ran like a scalded dog the whole way home.

Ive been a big fan of electric pumps until that day. I have a Walbro on my 86 that ive had great luck with I think its a FB13?? or so. Might give it a try on the new truck but im done with Carrrier

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This iz an interesting thread and these discussion do pop up from time to tim here el vs mec psi flow bla bla bla.

One thing I can say for cetain...its not so much the this way or that...but to fimd what works for you.

Experiences differ...some pumps maybe are weaker...can produce good static psi ...dead headed against a guage...but not dynamic as when engine running so flow and psi required.

That lil fitting is my biggest concern on the Carrier pumps....at max pressure only so much will flow through it...and these engines are not thirsty ...but holee shamolee do they bypass a ***** ton of fuel.....through return lines....dont believe me watch my video on liqua moly diesel purge.

So ya I want ele pump...priming etc makes life easy...but what pump not 100% sure of...yet.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just messed with a Carrier for an hour last Friday at 5pm on a hot engine in the sun. changed 3 fuel filters, blew the fuel lines out and still would get 0 psi while running and about 8psi with engine off key on. Truck would not do more than 25mph, starved for fuel and I was 55 miles from home. For Ghits and Shiggles I hooked the mechanical pump back up. Lucky I had a hard line and fitting at work to make one from the pump to the filter head. truck fired right up, had ~4psi and ran like a scalded dog the whole way home.

Ive been a big fan of electric pumps until that day. I have a Walbro on my 86 that ive had great luck with I think its a FB13?? or so. Might give it a try on the new truck but im done with Carrrier

I run a walbro (marine pump) and I am very happy with it. I also clamped down the filter return line a bit and that greatly reduced the cycle time. For the Carrier setup I suggest trying that.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive run the cat filter above which I believe is 8psi and 44gph, and I eliminated the factory filter that Constsntly returns. Instead I added a poppet check valve set at 5psi to the fuel system high point that keeps 5psi on my injection pump at all times and returns only what's above 5psi, so it bleeds the air automatically and keeps back pressure on the ip. I have verified it to be 6psi and returning a steady stream with that pump at idle, didn't ever permanently mount a fuel pressure gauge to verify while driving but I'm sure it's keeping up with 5/16 stainless line the whole way

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This iz an interesting thread and these discussion do pop up from time to tim here el vs mec psi flow bla bla bla.

One thing I can say for cetain...its not so much the this way or that...but to fimd what works for you.

Experiences differ...some pumps maybe are weaker...can produce good static psi ...dead headed against a guage...but not dynamic as when engine running so flow and psi required.

That lil fitting is my biggest concern on the Carrier pumps....at max pressure only so much will flow through it...and these engines are not thirsty ...but holee shamolee do they bypass a ***** ton of fuel.....through return lines....dont believe me watch my video on liqua moly diesel purge.

So ya I want ele pump...priming etc makes life easy...but what pump not 100% sure of...yet.

The pump people in this thread are complaining about is the one everyone switched to that was for the ****** cooling units? I thought that pump was better than sliced bread?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im running the 40222, no issues at all with maxed stock IP and S366 turbo...shell roll coal full boar.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the actual flow rate for the maxed stock pump is? Turbo pressure or style wouldnt have any effect on required fuel i wouldnt think. Its not like the DI engines that feed based on MAP pressure

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score

yeah.i pulled my sending unit to adjust the float.i turned my key on to check that the gauge read E while adjusting with it out.i forgot to pull my e-pump fuse and she was pumping fuel out all over.sure wouldn't take long to lose a gallon that's for sure.i run back up and hit the key off then pulled the fuse.wont forgot that again lol.

The pump people in this thread are complaining about is the one everyone switched to that was for the ****** cooling units? I thought that pump was better than sliced bread?

some people hook up fuel gauges and they want to see high pressure ratings for some reason,feeding their ip's.
:dunno

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
7.3L IDI Turbo Diesel Engine Performance Specifications
Engine Model A-185, A-166
Number of Cylinders 8
Configuration OHV V8
Bore 104.39 mm (4.11 inch)
Stroke 106.20 mm (4.18 inch)
Displacement 7.3 Liters (444 cu inch)
Crankshaft Rotation (Viewed from
Flywheel End of Engine) Counterclockwise
Compression Ratio 21.5:1
Firing Order 1-2-7-3-4-5-6-8
Idle Speed (No Load)* 650 rpm ± 50 rpm
Governor Speed (No Load) 3660 ± 50 rpm
Governor Speed (Full Load Rated) 3000 rpm
Timing (Dynamic) 8.5 ± 2 Degrees BTDC
Injection Pump Stanadyne DB-2
Injection Nozzle
Opening Pressure (New) 13,100 ± 517 kPa (1,900 ± 75 psi)
Opening Pressure (Minimum) 9,998 kPa (1,450 psi)
Crankcase Pressure-No Load (Maximum) 20 kPa (6 in-H2O) @ 3000 rpm
Fuel Pressure (Filter Inlet) 14 kPa (2 psi) @ idle
Fuel Pressure (Filter Outlet) 7 kPa (1 psi) @ 3000 rpm
Fuel Pump Suction 20 kPa (6 in. H2O) @ 3000 rpm
Fuel Return Line Pressure 14 kPa (2 psi) @ 3000 rpm

Valve Lifter 0
Valve Lash
Engine Lube Oil Pressure
Low Idle, Minimum 69 kPa (10 psi)
(Engine at Operating Temperature) 276-482 kPa (40-70 psi)
Crankcase Capacity (Without Filter) 8.5 L (9 qt.)
Crankcase Capacity (With Filter) 9.5 L (10 qt.)
Thermostat Opening Temperature 89°C (192°F)
* Manual transmission in NEUTRAL position. Automatic transmission in DRIVE position.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is why I'm going to bore my pump fittings out. 1/8 npt is pretty small for a 3/8" fuel line. Notice on the filter head, the inlet and outlet are 1/4 npt.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
So far this thread has generated some interesting ideas. The Caterpillar pump set up is interesting but a little too tall and a little funky. But it did set me to go look at what Racor has. Several interesting options there. I just have a rule any "upgrade" parts must include a spare behind the seat or be readily available locally. 2 Facets Duralifts were expensive, the Racor units are even more. But maybe the ultimate? More to read.....

I also like the idea of a regulated return. Constant pressure under any load.

jwsfarrier

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might want to take a look at R&D IDI performance. He has some pump and filtration setups basically plug and play. even has one for a regulated return.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
I gave up on the electric pumps years ago, always ran Holley reds. They were lasting a year. Switched back to the mechanical and never had a problem since.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online