Champion radiators SUCK!!!!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Steam distilled water is non conductive. So you end up with a non conductive cooling system.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steam distilled water is non conductive. So you end up with a non conductive cooling system.
Does not apply if you pour it into a dirty cooling system.your distilled water is no longer clean and pure.

Also.distilling water loweres the ph.this also effects coolant life

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The shop I took it to had it under water and pressure tested it. it's definitely leaking from the corner. The guy at the shop said that he sees this all the time a leak in the corner and it's just the ****** made over seas garbage. He also said he could get me a different one but he won't say it will last more than a year just that it's life time warranty so I can get a new one when I need it. He never said anything about rust taking it out.

The guy at the ship has been doing nothing but radiator repair for 20+ years
45yrs at our shop.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All metal from AutoZone. Dont know how long they last though. I've only had mine about a year and a half now. Still nice and clean inside.

Interesting - they are using a similar model numbers as the Champion radiators - 1165. Is this a 3 or 4 row radiator? And with that price, I would have to assume made is China as well?

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It even says so in the description.
Yep...
Core material...aluminum
Tank material...plastic
But again when it fails simply walk it back into Auto Zone or advance Auto and get another.
(of course they won't stock it but next day it'll be there)

Last edited:

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting - they are using a similar model numbers as the Champion radiators - 1165. Is this a 3 or 4 row radiator?
1165 is a DPI number and most manufacturers will use the same number. Sometimes they add numbers in front or behind-----> 10001165 or 11650001 etc

BTW # 945 fits a toyota pickup, 1826 fits a chevy s10 and 2101 and 2102 fit wranglers.Anybody else have too many numbers in their head?

needlenose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It even says so in the description.

Ye...
Core material...aluminum
Tank material...plastic
But again when it fails simply walk it back into Auto Zone or advance Auto and get another.
(of course they won't stock it but next day it'll be there)

Yep, right you are. Sorry, I didn't read the description, I just found the one I purchased. It looks identical to the one pictured. I remember they had a plastic option for about $50 cheaper; I obviously went with the all-metal one.

You must be registered for see images attach

The only thing that is plastic is the drain plug.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, right you are. Sorry, I didn't read the description, I just found the one I purchased. It looks identical to the one pictured. I remember they had a plastic option for about $50 cheaper; I obviously went with the all-metal one.

The only thing that is plastic is the drain plug.
If it was still an option I would go for that!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
these are NOT all metal anymore. Spectra went all plastic tanks seems ~ 1 year ago. If you happen to get an all metal one today its NOS. I have that same one, same part number, plastic tanks. Mine was 2 core as well FYI. pretty huge looking cores though..So far no issues but it is cold. Summer adn towing up hill will tell more.
The tanks are not what worry me, hell every OEM car since mid 2000s at least has plastic tanks and they are just fine. its the cooling tube to end tank braze/weld area that always fails. Im on my THIRD mishimoto rad in the mustang. I will be selling this low mile oe and going with an OEM plastic tank one out of an F body when i do the LS swap.

All metal from AutoZone. Dont know how long they last though. I've only had mine about a year and a half now. Still nice and clean inside.

http://www.autozone.com/cooling-hea...ylinders-k-7-3l-turbo-diesel/998153_375969_0/

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you just say LS swap the Mustang??? BLASPHEMY!!!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep. twin gt35 turbos on the 5.3. 500+rwhp at 8ish lbs of boost. Total, 2k including engine and complete turbo setup (hell i got the engine and complete harness for 350..).When people get mad, i ask them..are you paying my bills? Donate me a 500 rwhp SBF and ill gladly run it. Sounds better too! But I dont have 6k to build a RELIABLE 500 horse SBF. Bang for the buck and reliability, just cant beat the LS engine.