is my flexplate broken?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'93 F-Super Duty/F-450 with E4OD auto trans.

so i was working with log truck yesterday using the auto crane to load chip truck and trailer and on the way to the job,it made an odd noise.at first it just sounded like the converter unlocked.then it went away,came back,went away,came back etc.
so i work the truck idling since she still has good oil pressure.then mid day and today i noticed it quiets right down under load.if i set the e-brake and rev it,she sounds fine.but it's horrendously loud at idle now and when going down the road under no load.
at first i figured,well maybe it's a bad injector knock (all new though) but the exhaust is clear and i don't notice any of the hard lines getting hot.i tried loosening most of the lines but the knock/grind sound doesn't go away.just misses a bit.

i'll pull the inspection cover to see,if anything can be seen but the more i hear it,the more it sounds like a bad converter (but that's new) or broken flexplate.
oil and trans fluid look perfect.

anyone with a broken flexplate experience here? sounds god awful loud at idle just like she's about to throw a rod but under load it's normal?
any other thoughts if im not on the right track here?

im hoping a broken flexplate cus 5 trans pulls just aint enough.you just know iv been begging for an excuse to make it an even half dozen.LOL

Last edited:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time for a stick-shift swap. Gotta work them leg muscles, climbing trees just ain't enough, need to exercise on the way to and from the job too, not just while on the job :D

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol no thanks.those days are long behind me.im sitting on a spare e4.:D

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which days are gone - clutching or climbing? Cause if you climb you can clutch (especially a LUK product), and if you don't climb then you definitely need to work out (clutch) :D

Also sitting on a spare E4 doesn't fix your flexplate issue - even a BTS E4 does you no good if you can't spin them input shafts properly...

And yes what you describe does seem to match what others have reported when their flex plates went. You can also always pull the inspection cover and cop a feel, obviously not while the engine is running LOL

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh good to hear! i was hoping her engine wasn't coming undone on me.yeah i'll be taking a peak tomorrow.iv been leaving her parked at jobs lately.cheaper to leave her sitting if not needed to bring back home.:D

oh no.im still a crazy fool climbing.i was up 2 red pine and a white oak today.yes,i can still shift just fine.i just don't want to.:D

yeah but if it's not a flexplate issue it would just be a clutch or throw out bearing issue.iv been there and done that and got that t-shirt too lol.

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
what are your thoughts of driving her home if this is the case? she's about 45 miles away.
i mean this is going to throw her balance out.suppose it would do some harmful bearing damage? i mean she's a big truck.id hate to know the tow $ to get that thing back...........but it's not like idi's grow on trees either lol.it's a good strong running engine.i don't want to break it by being stupid but if running her for a few miles shouldn't be a big deal then i'll run 'er.

fordhorse

Reaction score
It sounds like a broken flex plate when mine did that the center was broken out and it would still start and only made noise with no load. I drove mine about that far to get it home not knowing at the time what was up, happened to me at the grain elevator.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would sure check my nuts first, pun intended, That is the nuts on the TC bolts.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah i was going to do that Bill but i got so focused on it being a broken flexplate that i forgot to take a quick and easy look.that was kinda dumb.
ah well.i drove her home and she made it issue free.i'll take a peek at it tomorrow.if the converter nuts are loose i'll kick myself in the ass because after all those trans pulls i had forgotten i was going to replace the nuts with new ones.i ordered them and have them somewhere but never did change them yet.if all i had to do was snug up some converter nuts on the spot,i'll really laugh at myself.:D

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks guys.any opinions experiences with this one?
(also sold at rock auto)

http://www.amazon.com/ATP-Automotiv...sr=1-2&ymm=1993:ford:f-250&keywords=flexplate

i am sooooo looking forward to dropping that e4 for a 6th time.it's so nice and miserably cold out again too.LOL

i kinda thought about putting in my spare (ford reman) e4 iv got......but i worked so hard at bandaging her original '93 up and since she still works im just not gunna do it.im gunna milk it for all she's worth.:D

edit.ordered it.confirmed fitment via rock auto and summit.good for 91-94 n/a idi's and i see no other choices for flexplates being built.

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually changed the pump on my 90 by just sliding the tranny back. Lost all the pics on webshots.