6.5l Detroit vs 7.3l IDI Turbo

InhumaneIDI

Reaction score
Hey guys just wanted to get some opinions. I decided against a power stroke for the simple fact i don't want to spend $350 a pop on an injector job. So basically I can decide between a 1994 7.3l Idi Turbo or a 1994 Silverado 6.5l.

I'm basically looking for a reliable engine with decent fuel economy that has at least some ability to make more power.

Which is easier to mod etc.. and help its great thanks.

6.5dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 6.2/6.5 chevys aren't as bad as everyone makes them out to be as long as you take care of them. The 6.9/7.3 fords are pretty good to. Just depends on whether you like chevy or ford.

dieselburner94

Reaction score
the 6.5l's are a good and strong running motor, assuming you take care of them. They have their share of downsides too, but what motor doesnt. I drive one and like it, there are also a few sites you can go to for modification parts. I did 8 new injectors, and they were about 50$ apiece. I like both engines, so like 6.5dieselman said, it basically depends on if you like ford or chevy better. If you do decide to go with the 6.5, one thing i would consider is buying an aftermarket Heat Sync PMD for the injection pump.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I have never owned a 6.2 or 6.5, but i have owned quite a few 6.9 7.3 idi's and i love them there cheap and easy to work on you can get a hole set of 6.9 or 7.3 injectors for about 150 dollars from pensacola, half of what you would pay for a psd injector!

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
I like them both, but for different reasons. Since they have the same injection system, they're cheap. The 6.2/6.5 can be had in the lighter half tons for max fuel economy if that's what you're after, but then again, putting a 6.9/7.3 in a half ton is a weekend's work away provided you have everything. Both can be modded, and the 6.2/6.5 may be a little easier to get power out of because of the cam timing and the higher rpm pump calibration. The 6.9/7.3 is better for towing; not fast stock, but reliable.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no strong opionion about the GM versions, but I was hanging out around one at a junkyard last weekend, and just looking at the valve cover trapped under those really long injector lines made me wrinkle my nose.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
I have no strong opionion about the GM versions, but I was hanging out around one at a junkyard last weekend, and just looking at the valve cover trapped under those really long injector lines made me wrinkle my nose.

No strong opinions?:rotflmao I knew you had a sense of humor!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how ofter do you have to go under the valve cover of your IH idi?
how often does a glow plug tip swell up and break on when attempting removal?
betcha the second happens more often than most people care to count.
on the GM diesel, the non-turbo model it's as simple as pulling the injector and reaching in with a pair of tweezers and pulling it out.;Sweet

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Either engine can get the job done, and if you still can't decide, do what GenLightning did, and put an IDI in a Chevy; or if you go to The Diesel Page, there's a 6.5 GM diesel powered Ford ambulance that has a F250 chassis base.:eek:

dieselburner94

Reaction score
for fuel economy, both motors arent bad, depending on your rear end gear ratios. The 6.5's are good on fuel, and there are some websites you can go to to look at performance upgrades, like heath diesel, or my personal favorite, ssdieselsupply.com

dealwithit

Reaction score
with the chevy you can get as new as a 98 1500 or up to a 2000 2500 with the same IDI 6.5L turbo. with the ford you get a powerstroke by 94, more complicated, but more power too. with the chevy they held the same motor from like 83-98, same block just going to computer control. ford changed their diesels 3 times through the same year period. again, neither is really a bad thing, just different.

6.5dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
honestly if you're going to tow and pull the ford 6.9/7.3 would be better. they make a bit more power than the gm's. and with a turbo they are almost as good as a stock first gen powerstroke. but if you are just looking for a city driver needing fuel milage, gm is better in that department

6.5dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i drove my gf's parents 1999 2500 burb w/6.5 diesel and it feels like it's a bit faster than my 6.9 but it don't feel like it has anywhere near the power mine does

mahatma171

Reaction score
I have to agree with the posters above me. I've owned both. Had a 6.5 L non-turbo first starting in '98, and then I bought my first Ford around 2002, an '89 with a 7.3 IDI non-turbo.

If you want to tow something, get the Ford, its bigger, and it generally produces a little more torque, and a little more holding power or lugging power you might call it. The best mpg I ever got with it was 17-18 mpg bobtail (with 4.10 gears, not bad!) and about 14 mpg towing. Plus, its an easy engine in my opinion to work on, and the parts are cheap. The 6.5 was my daily driver and highway machine, I could get about 25 mpg out of it (3.42 gears) and cruise at 80 mph and still get around 21-22 mpg. I loved taking trips in that thing. I drove it everywhere. It was also decent at towing, but not as great as the Ford at getting the load moving and lugging. Also a very easy engine to work on. And they both sound great! I had a 2.5" true dual rear exit exhaust w/ little super turbo mufflers on the 6.5 (music at 2000 rpm!!) and a 3" exhaust on the 7.3.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online