6.0 seems to better then people say they are?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would take a 6.0 or even 6.4, as all the known problems and preventions are out there now.
But I really want a 6.7.
Changing stuff for the '15 is good. Better than letting problematic things continue to be used.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the 6.7s that come in at work only have small problems with them. I only know of one that was a lemon...one came in the other day that the fan clutch waved good bye...but like I say all have been small stuff.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
The biggest complaint I hear with the 6.7 is that Ford still won't change the damn radiator that's been leaking since the 6.4 came out in 08, nor will they cover it under warranty.

The engine seems to be really reliable, other than the early valve-dropping. There have been a few HPFPs die to water/def contamination, but the issue was largely overblown IMO. They won't make power as easily as the 6.4, because the CP4.2 doesn't flow as much fuel as the Siemens pump on the 6.4, and the turbo doesn't push as much air as the compound setup on the 6.4. So you need to upgrade those to pass the 500 rwhp mark. But other than that, the engine is a huge improvement.

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Supposed to be better. At a minimum it's bigger and changes from the dual compressor wheel to a single wheel setup. GT32 changed to GT37 if that means something to someone. Idk details of changes but supposedly injectors, pump, torque converter, crank dampener, exhaust brake, and cylinder heads all saw some changes, as well as some internal changes (bearings). Evolution not revolution, and I like it. Now about that radiator

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
I've heard great things about the new turbo as far as its performance towing at elevation. That was one area where the GT32 sucked. It was too small to move enough air in the mountains, and it was too weak for effective exhaust braking too. The bigger turbo allows it to pull harder in the hills as well as apply more backpressure for braking. The downside is it will never spool as fast as the twin-wheel 32. The bearing is way bigger, and with a single wheel, the weight is balanced a lot better, so the reliability should be significantly better.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know about the 6.7 in the f-250/350's, but i know that the one in my service truck SUCKS sweaty hairy nuts. It has zero power compared to the 6.0, gets terrible mileage (8.1-8.4 mpg) seems to be in love with sixth gear and makes a god awful racket when the pto isnt engaged. From our experience with all of the other 6.7's at work, its a pretty dark future. On four trucks with 6.7l's, none with over 150k miles we've gone through two engines, three turbos and one hpfp. Its pretty much the same story from ford that its been for the last ten years...send out a knowingly flawed product and place the burden of repair on the customer. Havent heard about any radiator problems with them yet though.:dunno These are trucks that get worked hard all day, day after day. They might last getting groceries, but i just dont have much faith in mine.....clearly ford doesnt either, 100 hp derate in a truck designed to work, hmmmmm why is that lol.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
You realize that that's not the norm, right? They've built at least 500,000 of these engines and the vast(V A S T) majority of them don't have those issues. You can't judge an engine by its outliers.

Most of the reports on forums from people talking to their techs supports the notion that the 6.7 has been far less troublesome than the 6.0 or 6.4.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well fortunately these are the only ones ive ever been around, but that has been my experience with them so far, can only judge what i see first hand. $58,000 for just a cab and chassis with near 7.3l power levels, known valve and turbo problems that they wont warranty and kenworth fuel consumption Ford can go pound sand if i were buying it. If most of them are still struggling to do any work then good for them lol...I just know that I have to drive mine everyday, and that the whole time im in it I do nothing but cuss and swear at it. :rotflmao How do you like yours?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
When I was doing construction I used the bosses dad's ('12 I think) to pull a skid loader a few times. Had plenty of power. Was getting about 16.

mhat0311b

Reaction score
After reading all this I have hope! I was incredibly lucky and found my 6.0 on a lot and got it for a steal. I bought mine because I work construction and needed the bed space and power and also because I've always wanted a diesel. I joined this forum because I need advice on repairing and troubleshooting my truck and also because I'm sick and tired of people telling me I screwed up buying either Ford, a 6.0 diesel or both at the same time!

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was doing construction I used the bosses dad's ('12 I think) to pull a skid loader a few times. Had plenty of power. Was getting about 16.

And it was a cab and chassis f-450-550?

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 11 to 14 model 6.7s are 400hp and 800 torque. The 15 gets 440hp and 860 torque and a bigger turbo...gt37 as stated...

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just have to roll the dice on the 6.0s. If you get one make sure you know the history on it. But as stated I think its all blown out of proportion.