Need advice/inspiration

bdemutis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends how much time you want to spend on it. I had a single cab and my driver side looked like that. I spent around a month or so welding cutting grinding. I was determined to fix it but after all that the truck won't start so. Depends on how much time you want to waste welding and cleaning metal.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've actually begun an online support group for this very thing

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A support group for people either too stupid or hard headed to give up on their truck?
Sign me up!!

:D

bdemutis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A support group for people either too stupid or hard headed to give up on their truck?
Sign me up!!

:D
Well its hard to give up especially when you got so far then you keep saying o well might as well finish your almost there.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a great place to come for motivation and a pick me up!! The only forum on the whole planet where you can come for some positive reinforcement! Keep posting and everyone here will help with what they can.
My truck has the same gigantic hopeless rust canyons, but I know once I start working on it, this is where I'll come when I'm drunk and ready to roll it into a quarry pool haha.

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
Here is an idea I was toying with...

If you mainly need body parts, buy a rust free, dent free truck from an Albuquerque junkyard for $300-400.

Cut the frame between the bed and cab, weld a mobile home trailer tongue ($25) to the bed, add a harbor Freight magnetic towing light set to the bed ($22), and you have a road worthy trailer. It is small enough to not need brakes or registration in a lot of states.

Strip the truck of everything else you want, load onto the trailer, and go home.

If you're using WMO, the fuel costs may make this feasible.

Let the forum know, so us guys can help you out. I could start looking for a donor truck for you,

If you've lived in a nanny state for so long your brain automatically comes up with a dozen reasons why you shouldn't do this, then don't.

Just an idea. I'm tired of seeing vehicles with near perfect bodies being crushed for six cents a pound. Around here, a truck spends a few months in the salvage yard and then gets crushed, regardless of what parts still remain.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's a nanny state?
Nevermind - googled it

Last edited:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear you. I've decided I'm going to fix this one for now. If I like the finished product, I'm going to start looking for a crew cab most likely. And I'm sure I will be reaching out to folks out west. I know this will be a temporary fix and with the kid growing up, a crew cab is going to be a necessity. I'm still dreaming of a crew cab short bed. You know, the one they didn't make. ;Sweet

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
I wondered the same thing.

Sorry.

I should have explained that better.

Recently tried helping a California native (via cell phone) that was stuck in a hick town, with a small airplane with a flat tire. Every time I tried to suggest a solution, his mind kept coming up with possible reasons why he shouldn't do it. Having had the state intrude into his life for so long, he couldn't exercise any independant thought himself. I'm sure once he got charged a couple grand for a remote aircraft service call, he'd dispute the charges. I finally wished him good luck and hung up.

He was in the middle of nowhere, but felt there were a dozen enforcement officials always standing over his shoulder.

Yeah, I know not all Californians are like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online

No members online now.