F-Superduty Dana 80?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've started looking for a way to convert my 8 x 6.5 Dana 60 to the same 10 x7.25 pattern as the Dana 80 I picked up at the Rally. Not much out there as far as I can tell. I've seen an adaptor on pirate that was used by conversion companies to make these older F-Superduty's 4x4 using Dana 60's or 70's, but I can't find them on the web.

I was also wondering if it would be easier to convert the Dana 80 to the standard 8 x 6.5. But what hub has that pattern and will fit the Dana 80?

I've heard rumors that 8 lug Dana 70 hubs or Dodge Dana 80 hubs will fit on on the Ford 10 lug Dana 80. But, I woudl like confirmation of that before buying parts.

Calvin, or anyone else have any experience with this kind of stuff?:dunno

Heath

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
heath-
i never messed with converting the hubs due to the fact I like the heavier 10lug rims. "rumour" has it the dodge 8-lug hubs will bolt up. no confirmation tho. I haven't had the desire to really look into it due to the fact I'm looking for a '99-'03 E350 bus chassis dualie rear axle with intergrated e-brake. cookoo:D
I'm sure you're aware now of the additional weight of the F450 stuff. It don't look like much, but the ****'s way heavier.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think the Dodge 8 lug hubs will work, the Dodge 80 is actually a Hybrid, 80 center, with 70 outers. I'm not sure you can easily go to standard 8 lug on a true 80.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think the Dodge 8 lug hubs will work, the Dodge 80 is actually a Hybrid, 80 center, with 70 outers. I'm not sure you can easily go to standard 8 lug on a true 80.
thanks for the info;Sweet
here's another suggestion since we know now the outers are d70.....
get a pair of housing stubs and find one of those big rig axle repair outfits who will cut off a old stub and weld on a new one.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well Calvin, you're right. These Dana 80's are huge compaired to the 10.25. Talk about heavy. You should have seen me and Dan (AZDIRT) trying to load the thing from his flatbed to my jacked up F250 bed.LOL What fun.:rolleyes:

Well, I've got to find a way to make either the Dana 60 a 10 x 7.25 or a way to make the Dana 80 a 8 x 6.5.

I know DynaTrac can make Dana 80's any pattern hub you want, but I gotta feeling it's gonna cost a heck of a lot more than I paid for the whole axle.

I'll keep looking for an answer.

Also, I'm going to have to move the spring perches out or the springs in to get them to work as well. The Dana 80's perches are about 2 inches closer to the pumpkin than they are on the F250 the axle is going in.

Heath

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well Calvin, you're right. These Dana 80's are huge compaired to the 10.25. Talk about heavy. You should have seen my and Dan (AZDIRT) trying to load the thing from his flatbed to my jackup F250 bed.LOL What fun.:rolleyes:

Well, I've got to find a way to make either the Dana 60 a 10 x 7.25 or a way to make the Dana 80 a 8 x 6.5.

I know DynaTrac can make Dana 80's any pattern hub you want, but I gotta feeling it's gonna cost a heck of a lot more than I paid for the whole axle.

I'll keep looking for an answer.

Also, I'm going to have to move the spring perches out or the springs in to get them to work as well. The Dana 80's perches are about 2 inches closer to the pumpkin than they are on the F250 the axle is going in.

Heath
to make a d60 front 10-lug, you need to get a hold of marmon-herrington.
i can also check with a friend of mime, he had quite a few of those axles some time ago.

tenlug

Reaction score
Heath, get your tape out. When I was look'n to do this. What I found was the frame on the F450's are 34" wide (like most cab and chassis trucks). The frame on my F350 SWR is 37" or a little more. Could not get the Dana 80 under the F350 because the calipers would hit the springs and didn't see a easy way to move the springs closer together. Maybe you could use narrower springs (chevy?), but not sure if that would give enough room(did not look at this). I looked at mounting the springs under the frame but that didn't look very good either. Towcat is right, the F450 stuff is way heavy compared to F350 stuff. Just finishing my project now. PM me if you want more info. Steve

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heath, get your tape out. When I was look'n to do this. What I found was the frame on the F450's are 34" wide (like most cab and chassis trucks). The frame on my F350 SWR is 37" or a little more. Could not get the Dana 80 under the F350 because the calipers would hit the springs and didn't see a easy way to move the springs closer together. Maybe you could use narrower springs (chevy?), but not sure if that would give enough room(did not look at this). I looked at mounting the springs under the frame but that didn't look very good either. Towcat is right, the F450 stuff is way heavy compared to F350 stuff. Just finishing my project now. PM me if you want more info. Steve
steve-
you need to post pics;Sweet

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Heath I'm sure you have thought of this but I would go with 8 lugs if at all feasible as that will allow you to use your rims you already have or if you ever decide on some new ones you will have a much bigger selection to choose from

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I need to pick your brain. What did you do to mount up the ten lug Dana 80? Like Calvin said, any photos?

Calvin, I'll search for that company and see what I can find.

Heath

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've emailed Marmon-Herrington about the Dana 60 ten lug hubs. Thanks Steve for the email and photos.

I'm not sure how I will proceed. There are a good number of options. Modify the axle myself (huge PITA), have Dynatrac modifiy the axle for me (huge pain in the wallet), modify the frame on the truck (subframe the spring shakles, graft in a F-Superduty rear frame ..ect), or like you said Steve, just use airbags with a 4-link set up instead of springs.

Man, it should would be nice to just let Dynatrac handle all the mods to the axle, but I can't imagine price estimate from them will be cheap.

Heath

tenlug

Reaction score
Few other things to consider with the with the read end swap. One is the E brake. The F450 rear end doesn't have one. Couple of options, run without, or put it on the trans/transfer case. I used a GM E brake off a motor home mounted on the back of the g/v overdrive(didn't use the f450 E brake-Calvin says they are a lot of money). Also one of the things that started this whole project for me was my F350's brakes. Rotors warp in 30,000 miles, brakes are not all that good in the first place(truck weighs around 8500). So the rear brake upgrade is a good thing. Also with this swap I wound up with the GM front rotors and calipers. This is a good thing because the rotors are thicker than the Ford stuff and I like the big single piston caliper better(one thing we do with the SRW fords is put the Gm brakes on the ford front 60 and put in a 14 bolt with 13x3.5 drums on the rear-this setup stops). Are you going DRW? If not that would leave more room. As far as the 10 lug conversion on the front end, wouldn't think that would be that bad, might be able to use SRW hubs and get spacer/adapters made for not huge money. If you like I'll pull a front wheel and take a picture of the setup on the front of my truck(I think mine says BUDD?). Are you going this way for the DT you bought?
There's more but this is long. Steve

tenlug

Reaction score
One more this is tires. About the largest you can go without spacers between the rims is 255 85 16. Toyo's M55 is about the tallest at almost 34". This got me to thinking about 19.5's. Saw a Dodge 3500 this week end that had 285 70 19.5's. Kinda big but would be OK. Searched the price on these things-about $400 each. Steel 19.5 rims are about $230. Think I'm stuck with the Toyo's. Calvin got any input on tires? Steve

grog85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Super duty 450 & 550 duallies come with a 60 & 10 lug wheels. New with either 4.30 or 4.88 gears they list for 4500$ though. You should be able to find a used one for 1000-1500$.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Super duty 450 & 550 duallies come with a 60 & 10 lug wheels. New with either 4.30 or 4.88 gears they list for 4500$ though. You should be able to find a used one for 1000-1500$.
Ford Super Duties existed back in 1988. Within two years, they achieved total dominance in the light duty towtruck market with the chassis. these trucks were darn near unbreakable. the '99 and up f450's and F550's were a whole other story. The driver was given more power than braking capability and they started rolling towtrucks. If you ever seen a towtruck roll, it's not a pretty sight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online