7.3idi timing question

idiburner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok everyone so my truck starts and runs but as soon as you let it idle it shuts off as long as it stays above 900rpm it runs and sounds fine not knocking motor dosnt shake. it takes about 15 seconds of cranking on it weather cold or hot with glow-plugs all work all glow-plug tech is new. the injection pump is still at factory timing where the two marks match up. when we pulled off the injection pump gear by accident :mad: i know horrible move. but do you think its a tooth off in either direction and if so do you think advacing or retarteding the pump will help?? please and help out there sorry if i missed anything. its a 93 f350 crew cab long bed 7.3idi with the factory gerbilchrager ;p

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Really no telling where the gear timing is after removing the housing with the pump and gear as one piece. Its best to be sure so maybe you need to remove the mess one more time but... This time do it in pieces. Remove the pump first. Then the aluminum housing leaving the gear in place. Look at my pics to see what the injection pump gear should look like in relationship to tdc # 1 cylinder and the damper timing tab set at the short fat tube location. Just ned to clean off the dirt to actually see the zero mark. Its right in the middle of the tube. The key is having the drive pin in the location in my pic. Remember both the cam and injection pump gear turn at half the rate the crank does. So the crank turns twice for one turn of the cam or injection pump gear.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

idiburner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if timing was off a thooth. What is the correct idle rpm? And could one thoth off in ether direction cause this

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I'm sure it could.
Going off memory but I think around 800. Valve cover sticker should say.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Idle RPM is 650. In drive if it is an automatic trans.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Those lines are just a ballpark that if lined up it be close enough to run. Gotta time it proper and take it fmro there, especially since you're not sure if the gear may be off a tooth. If you can't rotate pump enough to get it set proper then you're probably off on the gear.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online