Some funny starter problems that i seem to have fixed, now i have trust issues

seacoats

Reaction score
My 1990 f250 NA IDI refused to start the other day while i was out. It made a single loud clunk when i would turn the key. This happend several times parked in the Safeway parking lot before it finally started. I drove the truck home and parked. It refused to start after that. I started by load testing the batteries, they're both still good but in need of a charge. (they we're between 65% + 70%, likely from my repeatedly trying to start it) Tested the started solonoid per this thread (http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...cement-part-number&highlight=starter+solonoid) and it was fine. Inspected the solonoid(?) that's attached to the started. That one on the switched (not the + red cable from the battery) side had some arc damage on the nut and a bit of corrosion. I took that side apart and cleaned it, voila truck starts. If anything it sounds like the starter is cranking faster. This is the first time the truck hasn't started and now i'm having some trust issues. Could this really have been that easy of a fix?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
stupid question,
did you check the starter bolts?
loud clunking noises, makes me think something more than electrical.
i would inspect the starter nose cone, and specifically the bolts holding the starter to the adapter plate.

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suspect solenoid on starter is on its way out. That was what failed on my starter. It started doing what you describe once every four months or so, then stopped. The third time, it never turned over again. New starter (hence, new actuation solenoid), viola, works perfectly. Do you know how old that starter is?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The solenoid (bendix if you will) takes less power to move. Sounds like it would move, then not have enough power to spin.
Most likely you fixed it, but like anything, be prepared to replace it.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
For the price I sure would buy the DB starter and just keep it behind the seat for a spare just in case part. For the price I can't see not buying a spare.

seacoats

Reaction score
Holy ****. I'm totally gonna buy one of those DB starters. Half the cost of my local auto parts store. I never thought about buying parts from amazon... Also, once the rain quits i'll check out the starter bolts too. It doesn't seem that anyone replaces just the bendix, i'm guessing this is because if it's going the starter itself is likely on its way out? No idea how old the starter is, it's a mitsubishi, if i had to guess i'd say stock. How many miles do y'all get out of them generally?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VWAudiFord

Members online