Fresh Reman Engine Ticking

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did get a chance to talk to schaffers co. earlier today. The tech person recommended that I switch to their oil after the first "regular" oil change (3-5k miles). She explained that many customers use schaffers right from the get go, with no problems. She explained that it may take a little longer for rings to seat in some cases was all.
Also got around to truck today. Made an attempt to start truck but it's a no go. I hooked up oil psi gauge & it finally primed after about a half minute of cracking. Re-installed glow plugs & tried to fire er up but gpc started smoking so I quit for the day. Already got my warrantied one from the parts store tonight. Now just need to find some time.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
She's a runner! Only ran it for about 5 minutes then noticed coolant was bubbling from the rebuilt ID tag that's on that flat spot near temp gauge sensor. They drilled holes and put rivets to mount this metal tag...and drilled right thru the coolant passage. Idiots. Anyways I got that drilled & tapped then put a bolt thru it with sealant. Ran out of time to take it for a test drive, but no ticking or knocking so far.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I think its machine shop ego that causes them to place a new block number id tag on anything they rebuild. What the hell is wrong with the born with block number??/ Just record that as a way of tracking their rebuilt blocks. Not a chance in hell you are going to "find" another block with the same serial numbers.. But nope.. Ruin or near ruin a good block by drilling thru the cast iron flat spot...
Glad you have it running. It has been a hell of a trip we have taken with you.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think its machine shop ego that causes them to place a new block number id tag on anything they rebuild. What the hell is wrong with the born with block number??/ Just record that as a way of tracking their rebuilt blocks. Not a chance in hell you are going to "find" another block with the same serial numbers.. But nope.. Ruin or near ruin a good block by drilling thru the cast iron flat spot...
Glad you have it running. It has been a hell of a trip we have taken with you.

It's been a hell of a royal pita but glad it's running well now. I'm not going to call it 100% until I get some miles on this engine. All I gotta do now is put the hood on.
Oil psi is good. Over 50 while it was idling but oil wasn't completely warmed up.
Plan on changing oil after an hour of run time and do another round of delo.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These the same Mr. Wizzards that did the first build?
Hope you called them on this!?
Dayum' hope you catch a break soon.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These the same Mr. Wizzards that did the first build?
Hope you called them on this!?
Dayum' hope you catch a break soon.

Like stated before, short block was fine for the most part. And no, totally different machine shop worked on this short block along with cylinder heads.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks I lost track.
I'm with gary.
Hope this one works out.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Easy iszue to contemd with sadly spiral fluted rivets are an issue...

Glad you caught the coola t issue.

There is plenty of room to stamp new #'s as I can attest to..and it allowed me to track my engines build q2 years later....so rivet tags...unnessasry.

Lets hope no more ticky ticky bang bang wedont love u scenario.....

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easy iszue to contemd with sadly spiral fluted rivets are an issue...

Glad you caught the coola t issue.

There is plenty of room to stamp new #'s as I can attest to..and it allowed me to track my engines build q2 years later....so rivet tags...unnessasry.

Lets hope no more ticky ticky bang bang wedont love u scenario.....

Yeah what a joke man. Had a hell of a time drilling & tapping that little tiny hole. Broke off a bottoming tap inside tiny hole....don't ask why. My stupidity on that one. Then burned up 3 drill bits & 1 makita corded drill trying to drill that harder than hell tiny piece of the tap out. I'm talking about a piece of tap metal no bigger than a half of a tic tac. Broke the tip off of a 2 lb punch in the process. 2 hours later, finally got a bolt in there with a cupped rubber washer w/ sealant to plug up that stupid little hole. I could have taken the engine out and tore it down to bare bones the time I spent screwing with that little damn hole.
Wish I could kick the guy in the nuts who put that ID tag in that location lol. I can honestly say I have never been so frustrated with something so small because it should have been a 10 minute fix.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sharpen a concrete bit....hard as hell to do.....and Idoubt they come that small but....its easiest way to drill hardened material I know of

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sharpen a concrete bit....hard as hell to do.....and Idoubt they come that small but....its easiest way to drill hardened material I know of

Guy at Home Depot told me to buy a cobalt bit so I did. Said it will go thru that hardened tap material no prob. BS. Didn't even touch it. Got a little edge of it ground down then I just punched that piece into hole. Couldn't get it out so it will remain in the coolant system. Hopefully my filter will pick it up but not worried bout it.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guy at Home Depot told me to buy a cobalt bit so I did. Said it will go thru that hardened tap material no prob. BS. Didn't even touch it. Got a little edge of it ground down then I just punched that piece into hole. Couldn't get it out so it will remain in the coolant system. Hopefully my filter will pick it up but not worried bout it.

at this point you may as well :number2 in it!

glad its done. bring it by with some cornitas and ill check timing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online

No members online now.