D60 front backing plates

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the driverside is damaged. ripped and shreaded from my loss of wheel when i first got the truck.

what are your thoughts about simply leaving them off?
is the space it takes up critical?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My thoughts are that I highly doubt the space makes any difference. The only real consequence I can see is more water getting to the rotor in wet road conditions hurting your stopping power a bit. But it never rains in CA so you probably have nothing to worry about. Certainly no road slop in from snow to worry about.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I've run Bruiser with no dust covers on the TTB D44 since I swapped it in back in '07. Never noticed any difference.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they rust away in the northern states and we just rip away whats left lol.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ttb d50 same fyi....but leave em.off put em.on yer choice....yer worse than a damn woman sometimes....when they ask does this dress make my ass look fat....no ya dumb beach...yer fat ass.makes yer fat ass look fat

Damn man make a choice....names for kids...backing plates....next ya want permission to make posts.... ;Poke

Probably should stop comi g here after beers.....but u make it too damn easy bud....

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually Al they are not exactly the same on a 50. They might work but they are not quite shaped the same. I think the order of assembly is slightly different on the 50.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually Al they are not exactly the same on a 50. They might work but they are not quite shaped the same. I think the order of assembly is slightly different on the 50.

Let me check that...might take couple days...got few each here....i very well could be incorrect

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:Whatever:
just tryin to make sure im not gonna have issues by leaving them off lol

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With Disc brakes ya don't need them, with brake shoes ya need them.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
There are not backing plates on disc brakes. They're dust shield with a small cooling scoop built in. In reality they are mud and rock scoops. Pick up junk and grind it into your rotors. They also rust aapart and get mangled into your rotors. Leave 'em off.

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I had my D60 apart I took them off. That is in my 79 f250 plow truck. They are very thin so I doubt the spacing would effect anything in a negative way.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Also FWIW a D60 is wider than a SRW Sterling... So bringing the tires in 1/16" or whatever can't hurt to even it out. Cops have hassled me here for front tires sticking barely past the fender. Apparently the welfare class has nothing better to do than harass people minding their own business in old pickups as they came from the factory. NJ is a police state though, the government welfare class likely outnumbers the lazy welfare class.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Leaving them off wont affect any assy stack up enough to matter.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Years ago, mine rusted off, driver side first and things got pretty interesting when you first hit the brakes during rainy conditions (right turn clyde)! Eventually I bought new ones from Ford however seem to remember having a difficult time finding them. My own opinion is I would not drive without them........