W80: keeping it mixed

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck siezed either power steering or vacuum pump and left the gear rattling around inside the timing case. Left me stranded 30min from home towing my Jeep. Thank god it happened then and not 5hrs sooner.

This truck has been a headache since I got it. Breaking down with a trailer is awful. I'm at a point in my life where I have more money than time and need something reliable to get around. Thinking about fixing, selling, saving for a few months, and getting a 1500 Ram with the new 3.0 Ecodiesel to use as a tow rig and DD. Sad state of affairs, but I'm tired and frustrated.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Man that sucks, I'm leaving for PA tomorrow morning for rausch creek with my jeep and I'm afraid of breaking down while towing which is not fun

DD an older used truck is not sometime that fun, I would suggest fixing the truck and keeping it, but buy a newer used car to daily drive and use the truck for when you need it, you would keep the miles off the truck which would help cut down on breakdowns (maybe)

I have a 08 Mazda 3 bought it used in 2010, it's a 4 banger automatic, but it starts everything I turn that key and that's what I needed, no more hopes and prayers when I cracked up my jeep to get to work

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Focus I use as a dd. It's the truck that's still the problem! I'm just worn out. Been non stop time and money into this thing for the last 18 months.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You sure it didnt get bit by the KDP?

Very common issue is for one of the dowel pins for the timing case to back out and drop into the timing gears.

Sucks either way... good luck getting it back on the road.

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KDP got tabbed this winter with replacement motor. I pulled the vac/steering pump out and found the gear sheared off last week. Haven't touched it since.

mikepotts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was told by a local Volvo heavy equipt. mechanic that guys in wisconsin (where he used to live) would just mix WMO/diesel 50/50 and 75/25 and run it in their IDI's after filtering twice, ending with 5 micron... this is the first time ive heared of WMO/gasoline W80 (80/20). i skimmed thru the 7 pages and now im just confused... fuge, ect? can someone give me the cliff notes, i picked up a 55 steel drum last week to start doing this, now im hesitating. thanks!

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike, most people start out filtering and realize fuges are more cost effective and convenient. They do remove more junk from the wmo. My 12 valve didn't care too much, but your fuel lubricated injection pump might be pickier about viscosity and fuel pressure.

Loads of info on this site... I'd recommend doing some reading before jumping into it.

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JP, I would go for something has has a turbo on it, even my 6 cylinders run like hot wet dogs when the turbo is not working. Little blue couldn't hold interstate speeds unless I was drafting a truck or going down hill. Fixed the turbo safety shutoff by bypassing it, and now the car can easily do 110 120 plus. Don't ask me how I know, I'll just say I don't know it's top speed.

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That one got scrapped. Loved the color. Will otherwise be shopping for turbo 5 cylinders. Would like to see for myself how horrendously slow a 4spd stick 4 cylinder is... But will probably stick with the 80-85 300D.

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
I've considered those too, just because they have been well kept. From my understanding, the auto 240d's are the worst with a whopping 70 hp! I can only imagine what the highway would be like...

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I am not sure on the Mercedes, but I just picked up a 91 Jetta 1.6L N/A Diesel, 5-Speed. Its not too bad. It has 54 or 57 HP I think. It is slightly faster than the speed of smell. It is not the fastest to get going, but I have found once you get on the interstate it will get up to 70 and buzz along just fine. It actually has a bit of pep once you get them up to that speed.. Gotta remember, these things were designed to run on the Autobahn.... so some of them don't come to life until you are at our Interstate speed limits. But I can imagine with a slushbox and no lockup converter. I had an 87 Taurus with a 4 banger, 3 speed auto..... all it did well was make noise. You could almost cruise along, or run the A/C.... couldn't do both......

I wonder if a story I once read about a Mercedes Diesel drag racing through a stop light was in a 240. It went something like he was doing a blistering 20 mph as he passed the far side of the intersection and almost beat the Geo Metro that time........