16 inch tire on 16.5 Rim

MotleyCrueCab

Registered Abuser
Reaction score
I have a friend whom asked me if you could run a 16 inch tire on a 16.5 inch rim, I responded with... I'm not sure... I think it may fit, however is it safe is a different question. Have any of you guys done it, or know anybody whom actually has and has input?
(please don't respond with a no answer unless you have a legitimate reason or experience , IE no "don't do it because it says not to on the tire", or "I'm sure its unsafe" answers please!,)

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I don't think it is a wise idea, partly because there is a difference in bead style between 16 inch and 16.5 inch wheels. You could probably get the tire on because the 16.5 has a kind of relaxed bead rim, but I'm not sure you could get a reliable seal unless using a tube.

Of course I'm old, and experience is not something I'm trying to obtain any more. I'm better at dispensing advice. If there is a financial or practical reason to do it (low on funds or unable to find correct tires), go ahead. Just remember there is a pretty good reason the wheels and tires are listed by exact size.

Catastrophic failure is a term I did not understand until I experienced a few of them firsthand.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
No... Do not do that... The tire beads are completely differant and the bead will blow... That kills people.... We have an expert here that has a long time family business in the tire industry... He will chime in and tell you exactly whats going on trying to do this... I believe its against the law for a tire shop to mount a 16 on a 16.5 rim....

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I watched a guy at Schwabs mount a 16.5" tire on a 16" rim and it blew up in his face. Very scary and he was rushed to the hospital :eek:

To answer your question. No. Don't ever do that :D

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I watched a guy at Schwabs mount a 16.5" tire on a 16" rim and it blew up in his face. Very scary and he was rushed to the hospital :eek:

To answer your question. No. Don't ever do that :D

His question was the other way around though, 16" tire on 16.5" rim.

Either way, i'd say you're really stupid if you do it. The money you'd save can't possibly be worth someones life.

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
With how many people on these boards are constantly trying to cut corners and save money, if something like that could be done, it would have likely spread through these boards. I hate spending the extra money on my 16.5's, BUT as mentioned, the beads are different (different tapers). Also, he has a blow out or accident and the cause could even remotley be connected to the tires (even something steering related) he will be screwed. Take it for what it is worth, I have never tried and very few, if any, people I know have tried, but if someone in my family got injured as a result of something like this, you can be sure there would be one huge s**t storm.

Rather than take the chance, he should just sell the wheels and buy 16's if they are that important to him.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
No...my reasoning? because it's stupid. I also know that the bead won't seal worth a damn either seen it done and the tire machine didn't like it one bit.

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
I had some 14 inch tires on 15 inch rims once. I don't recommend it.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
No. Yo dont put a 16" tire on a 16.5 wheel for the same reason you don't put 13" tires on a 12" rim, a 14" tire on a 13" rim, a 15" tire on a 14" rim, a 16" tire on a 15" rim, a 17" tire on a 16" rim, a 18" tire on a 17" rim, a 19.5" tire on a 18" rim, a 20" tire on a 19.5 rim.

They make tires in different sizes to go on different size wheels.

The ONLY way a 16" tire would go on a 16.5 wheel, would be to have the 16.5 wheel machined down to a 16" wheel. And then i dont think there would be enough wheel for any strength. I have seen this done mutiple times for a 22.5" truck wheel machined down to a 22" to fit a car tire, but there is alot on metal on a truck wheel

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you recall from page 1 we had a tire blow out before a Moab trip and it gutted the forward and aft fuel tank fillers, ripped out the wheel well liners and removed the support rods for the bedside body panels and cratered the driver side wheel well. It even tore up the corner seams inside the bed and made a 8" tall goiter inside the box...generally made a mess of a beautiful Truck.

If you like to have blowout's, using the wrong tire on wrong rims, that is what you'll get. Keeps you busy repairing.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
(C) All of the above.

In addition, there's "only" a .25" extra stretch the bead will take, if it will even seat up properly. That's extra stress on the only thing holding the tire onto the wheel. I wouldn't bet my butt that they will all hold for the life of the tire, let alone the ride around the block......
cookoo

wmoguy

Reaction score
I have a close friend that owns 6 tire stores. I know for fact they and most other reputable tires shops would never do a tire install like this. The liability would be insane if something happened

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
It has been covered, but they are basically the same size, you could get it on and it might even hold air and get you down the road for a wee bit, but very dangerous, the 16.5 tires use a different size rim and are typiccally used on heavy duty applications, typically a 1 ton SRW will have 16.5" where a 3/4 ton or a 1 ton DRW that spreads the load over 4 tires instead of 2 will have 16" wheels tires.

The bottom line is DO NOT EVER MIX AND MATCH TIRE AND RIM SIZES

I'll try to find a comparison photo, as I recall one size has an extra lip in the bead to hold it in place.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
......... Have any of you guys done it, or know anybody whom actually has and has input?
(please don't respond with a no answer unless you have a legitimate reason or experience , IE no "don't do it because it says not to on the tire", or "I'm sure its unsafe" answers please!,)
what you're asking for is a very tall order. activities such as you're asking for firsthand experience has a very high mortality rate. if the person who has attempted this and lived to tell about it, they're usually missing their face or major body part(s). perhaps a forum dealing with coroners talking about COD would be a better place for you to find the answer you're looking for.

wmoguy

Reaction score
what you're asking for is a very tall order. activities such as you're asking for firsthand experience has a very high mortality rate. if the person who has attempted this and lived to tell about it, they're usually missing their face or major body part(s). perhaps a forum dealing with coroners talking about COD would be a better place for you to find the answer you're looking for.

:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online