internal fuel tank sump? Excursion tank into P/U

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm working on shoe horning a 44g excursion tank into my truck. I scored a complete tank from a gasser at the local junkyard for 70$. I gutted the sending unit, keeping only the float. I need to fab up a pick up tube, but there's no sump in this tank so the fuel can slosh under braking and turning. I'm keeping the skid plate as long as I can make it fit so I can't and don't want to drill a hole and hang a normal sump. This thing is going to too low as it is.
It would be nice if there was an internal sump. I'm thinking about a ring maybe an inch or so high and 6 to 8 inches around with sloped side. It should let fuel in and trap it as the fuel sloshes back and forth.
something like this:
You must be registered for see images attach

Does this exist? If not I'll try to never run it down to danger low to avoid sucking air.

Greg, how did you set up your pick up tube?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I haven't seen the 6.0 and newer trucks, but other than those, I've never seen a Ford diesel with a internal sump.
My psd doesn't in either tank. I've ran it pretty low.
Can't say I've ever felt it suck air. Even on some drag strip type launches going up on ramps. Lol

I have extended my pickups with brass tee-s to touch the bottom of the tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, that's what I figured, but it was worth asking.
That damn greg said this tank is almost bolt in. Well it looks like I need to push a crossmember forward an inch or 3, but I'll know better once the bed is off.
I have a 25g trition sidetank too. I'll see how it fits.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Far as I know, haven't heard of people needing to move the crossmember.
Greg 5.0?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just get the regular pickup called the shower head. Set er on the bottom and suck her dry. See the little feet all the way around, they keep out junk and enough fuel passes to run a 10L engine.

Never seen or heard of baffles or a sump in a fuel tank.

Attachments

• Shower head.JPG
    Shower head.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 48

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt anything external will work, the tank and skid plate are a tight fit. I might warn the plastic with a heat gun and mould an indent. I probably could not go deeper than 3/8 or so without taking a bfh or torch to tthe skid plate.

You must be registered for see images attach

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Guys, remember, Greg50HO's IDI is sitting on an 06 6.0 Chassis, which means the Excursion tank is a drop in.....

I know the 6.0 Excursion use a sender with the same Ohm range as the 87+ trucks and has as "Showerhead" (don't know if it is made of the same stuff, but it is a very similar design. If you look at the outside, bottom of the tank, there is a square bumpout in the center bottom of the tank. This is where the sender/showerhead sits.

If you want, I can take some pictures of my tank if you need it.

Also, I have pulled fuel from my tank to the "beyond pushing it" point... (like took 44+ gallons to fill up)..... and I didn't get any sucking air feeling..... I also have a steep drive, and even when very low, it doesn't sputter..... and as any 6.0 owner knows.... air into a 6.0 injector is a VERY BAD thing.......

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't realise he was running a different frame. I just remembered him saying it was nearly bolt in. Oh well, I think it's close enough to make it fit,
I don't have a bump (although I'll probably make one) and I don't have a showerhead. I have plastic soupcan sort of thing that held the fuel pump and still holds gauge. the soupcan attaches to the top of the sending unit with plastic flex lines.
I'd love to have a bump and showerhead, I guess I bought the "wrong" tank. I haven't made any progress on it yet, ups brought my new headlights and relay kit so that's up next.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Oh yeah, Google "diy anti slosh baffles."
I'm sure can come up with something, if you're that concerned. Lol
But you'd have to be really really low for that tank to slosh enough.
Now a long tank like the midship I could see, but still no issues there.

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I filled a wvo tank with wiffle balls for baffles, but my concern was having a nearly flat bottom and only an inch or 2 of fuel. any hard braking would, in theory, leave me sucking air.
I'm glad to hear you guys had no problems, but I think we have different tanks.
the ford dealer reamed me to the tune of 50$ for a showerhead when I ordered it today.
I didn't expect it to be so much

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online