Build Thread: S-1600 Housetruck

JSVD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's finally time to start opening up the 6.9 in my housetruck. The truck has an external headgasket leak. While the heads are off we're going to do a bit more to it. We also run the truck on WVO and have a centrifuge on the rig to spin the oil while we're driving. We're making a bunch of modifications to this in order to keep everything cleaner. Last we picked up a spicer 6041 for cheap. Pretty excited about getting that in, but it is lowest on the list... we'll see how it goes.

The plan:
-Victor Reinz head gasket
-ARP Head Studs
-typ4 cam
-Baby moose IP + return line kit
-clean injectors + set pop off
-New mechanical lift pump
-all new hose
-two 150 gallon fuel tanks (one for heated WVO one for dirty storage)
-55 gallon filtration tank with centrifuge (heated by 30 plate FPHE)
-new FPHE, stainless valves, heated filter for WVO
-Spicer 6041 auxillary transmission

All of these things are bought and ready to go.

Some other things that have been suggested that will probably happen:
-new lifters
-check valves (possible valve job)
-Glow plugs?

Heres a photo of the truck. If y'all have other ideas of things we should do, let me know. We'll be doing all this work in a barn while living in the truck. I'll try to take as many photos as possible.

You must be registered for see images attach

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
;Sweet :hail Totally digging the housetruck!

I've wanted to make one of those for years...have about a million questions I could ask you...

But anyway, glow plugs should be on the list, if they aren't 100% functional and solid state or pushbutton. I used to think they were optional but now that I have a fully functional system, I gotta say it's very nice.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yikes, Dayton's. Swapping to hub pilot should be on that list too.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ooo, is this an air brake truck? If so do you mind taking pictures of the setup? I would like to in the future run and air system on my truck, but need some ideas.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ooo, is this an air brake truck? If so do you mind taking pictures of the setup? I would like to in the future run and air system on my truck, but need some ideas.

I have everything you need if you want to convert to serpentine belt including the compressor and bracket.

JSVD

Full Access Member
Reaction score

yeah... that's always been a thought. I was thinking about running these till i need new tires.. but i'll start reading up on it.

actaully no, vaccum assist. It has an electric vaccum pump added to it by the previous owner.

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Just curious but whats wrong with Daytons? I never had issues with them when I worked with them (international 9600). Other than being a pain to get the duals aligned so they didn't wobble around going down the road i don't mind them. Just curious here because while i have worked with them, it certainly hasn't been much compared to most people. Only had to deal with them when changing brakes on that truck (about once or twice a year).

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You've partially answered the question. Then add widow maker lock rings, parts availability, and lastly they don't look nearly as good as a clean set of mags. I don't even like dealing with buds, not that I hate them, just don't like dealing with them. Hub pilot is safer, easier to service(as long as the alignment pads get cleaned every so often), and most every one should have parts for them.

JSVD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 days into it and we've made good progress. Everything is off the front of the truck: hood, radiatior, shroud, front pillars, alternator, PS pump, and all hoses.

I'll have some photos when i figure out how to put them on my computer. I'm going to wait to buy lifters when i see how they look. Swapping the hubs will also wait till i do the driveline work for the aux transmission. I've never had a problem with the glow system, but also never had a extremly cold start. I'll hold off on that till it's back together. If it's giving me problems then i'll swap a newer system.

We'll tear into the top end of the motor soon. Still finding/making the correct tools for the injection pump and valves. I need to research what to look for when checking out the valves.

The engine is DIRTY. I've done a once over, scraped all the caked grease off, sprayed it with carb cleaner, and scrubbed it down. We'll clean up and pant the parts as they come off now. If anyone in the Portland (the closer to Hood River the better) area can reccomend a good shop to have the heads madnafluxed please let me know.

I'm also trying to put together parts (shims) and find a way to test injector pop off pressure. Please let me know if you have shims.

While everything is off and being serviced we'll mount the two new tanks, and work on our WVO filtration system (a centrifuge).

Photos comming soon.