Any sources for Motor Mounts?

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I was towing a travel trailer a couple days ago and noticed a new sound under the hood while accelerating. A pinging noise that I have guessed was the fan rubbing the shroud. My immediate notion is that the motor mount has failed (I didn't change them when rebuilding the engine). So, I go to RockAuto.com and find a listing there, but want to verify what they have is what I need. I called Ford and it is obsolete, but got a part number; E5TZ 6038 W. I Googled it and found one on fleabay for $18 and change, but shipping was $115.:eek:

Anyone ever change your motor mounts? Any problem finding parts? I guess I will have to go with RockAuto because even the local parts stores don't show a listing.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya some tricksters give a low price but a high pric eon the shipping. So they dont have to pay ebays sellers fee which is a percentage.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I really have never heard of our motor mounts failing Mike. I would get under the rig and check to see if some bolts or nuts are loose. If this the truck that was stolen a few years back? If so maybe the fools were trying to remove the engine and gave up.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Left and right are different and not interchangeable. I bought a set from National Parts Depot. Rh was $68 and LH was $58. They were in Ford boxes with Ford part numbers. They don't have internet ordering so you have to talk to a person. NPD part # RH = F-6038-14B and LH=6038-14A Phone# 800-874-7595. This was a couple of years ago so price and availability may have changed.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive seen them fail, passenger side was falling apart from prior owner and drivers side was crapwelded together. But he did put it through hell

Knuckledragger

Reaction score
Finally crawled under the truck, doesn't seem to be the motor mount or lost nuts/bolts. Maybe I picked up something and it got flung loose. Going for a drive tomorrow, will see if it has fixed itself by sitting still for a week.

Knuckledragger

Reaction score
Well, it has not fixed itself, but I cannot imagine where the noise is coming from.

The noise only happens during acceleration, not idling, not sitting still. I brake torqued the engine while in gear a couple of times and no noise. Maybe it is in the trans, maybe something is wrapped around the driveshaft? No balance issues, just the noise. And it is getting a little less noisy each time, as if something is being worn down.

Any ideas? I'm willing to entertain WAGs and thoughtful insight, both.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Muffler rubbing something or the down pipe rub. Crawling under and looking is not fun but hell. What else is going on today.. If the fan is tight and it shows no rub spots on the shroud you may find the water pump bearings are shot. Try wiggling the fan.

Knuckledragger

Reaction score
Fan, WP, and fan clutch all check OK.

It is a tinny sound, and I crawled under the truck again today to look farther down the driveline. Nothing around the driveshaft, no loose wires or tubing, no muffler rubbing. It is sadly looking like the transmission is the culprit, whatever that might be. When I have a little time, I am going to change trans fluid and see what is going on inside the pan.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Mike I have heard universal joints going bad making a tinny sound. Almost like a pining noise. Try lubing the universals. the test drive it. Noise goes away then you found it but now which one.. Its a journey we take sometimes...:sly

Knuckledragger

Reaction score
That would be easy enough to do, I'll try that this weekend. If it is a U joint, I will be happy to change it out.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Lol. If anyone would be interested in making their own using poly mounts, I could maybe get some pics.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk