HELP! Need more miles, not more power.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
13) If this truck is getting that hot, there may be something else wrong. These do not run hot unless under heavy load, and don't get hot easily. Timing could be retarded (ideal is about 9.5 degrees BTDC, I am told) or the thermostat could be stuck/missing. You really should easily get 15+ MPG unloaded.

rockbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there any way to find 9.5 degrees BTDC without a functioning Dynamic Timing Meter?

Nope. And since you are using a timing method via the luminosity probe you will be looking for about 5 deg ATDC. Search timing via lumi method if you want more in depth reasoning behind the numbers.

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I second that.....:D

I third that.

Even though thankfully I have never purchased injectors from them, I did make the mistake of purchasing a return line kit from them whose caps proceeded to leak fuel everywhere after I installed it. That being said I would not trust anything they tell you.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Name brand doesn't mean squat.
Iirc, there's no such thing as "brand new." Unless they're NOS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All of you who say #12 are basically saying that my brand new, name brand injectors are costing me 10 MPGs. That actually makes sense to you? These are NOT refurbs.

I don't think that anyone's saying that they are 100% certain that it's your problem, its just that the products they sell are highly suspect and no one here would be surprised if that was indeed it. Just from reading the hall of shame and different posts, I know a number of people here have got screwed by them including me. If you don't think the injectors are the problem, then go by your instincts and address what you think the problem really is. It's just when people here see the name of that company pop up there is a negative reaction.

racin460

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just went for a 2 hour drive over the week end with mine (I now have 500 mile on since rebuild the whole truck) mostly highway 75-80mph I got around 13 mpg. and just to thank Mel at Conestoga diesel this thing is hard to resist smoking out the freeway when coming on the onramp.

Armed Partisan

Reaction score
I sent Conestoga an email, and they never responded, so I bought from Pensacola, because they're in my state and they were slightly cheaper (before sales tax, which I forgot to factor in, D'OH!). Also, the returned my email, which is a requirement in my book.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I dont think the injectors are costing you that much in MPG. I think it might be one of the factors that is contributing. How does it cold start? I know cold is relative, but after sitting 24 hours how does it start up? That could help us internet diagnose timing problems, injector/fueling problems, bad glow plugs (not the problem here), and or bad compression (if one cylinder takes more than a few seconds to light, theres a problem *This could also be glow plugs, but generally if it takes a long time to fire off on one or more cylinders, its more compression related*).

So I disagree with everyone, #12 isnt THE problem, it could be the problem, but probably is more of a culmination of things.

I also dont think your water temp is causing the MPG loss, perhaps if it was on the low side it would drop a little, but generally the hotter these run, the better they run (to a certain extent, and 220* is probably around the threshold of the tapering off of MPG).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online

No members online now.