How can I check an 7.3L IDI Engine that's on the shop floor?

Kelster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I found a 7.3L IDI Non-Turbo as a potential replacement for a seized power plant in my 93 F-350. My original engine was a turbo version where this one is normally aspirated. So the exhaust will have to be revamped, which is no biggie.

I talked with a guy who's selling a unit with experience and he tells me the motor never smoked (***?) when running and it has been sitting on his shop floor for two years. Evidently it has around 400,000 kms (250,000 miles), on it and he figures it would have gone another 400k. He also claims the compression was spot-on when last checked (several years back). It has the large alternator, Northern fuel pump and updated Starter. Asking $750.

Question: Since this motor is out of the vehicle, what can I check on the shop floor? Will it turn over with a couple batteries & jumper cables, so I can check compression? Take an oil sample? Any thoughts??

I don't mind risking $750 for a used engine but it's the $1600 for the re & re labour that worries me.

Any thoughts?

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
If it is sitting on the floor for that long with that many miles on it, there is a reason. Do a compression test if possible, you only need to take out the glow plugs. It would be vary helpful to have the engine sitting upright to do that. Check oil for water, pull valve covers, look and sniff. look at the exterior for leaks.

No matter the price, it is a pig in a poke if you cannot start it and hear it run.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you need parts pm me

I HAVE ***** TONS and not too far away from you....bout 5 hr drive maybe 6 maybe 375 400 miles

I am pulling a van engine soon and have a couple engines here I can ask about they would of course be heard running

JM7.3CW Eh!

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
I just got done doing a compression test on the floor. It's easy out of the truck. Lol

Kelster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got done doing a compression test on the floor. It's easy out of the truck. Lol
Cool. Thanks.
I guess an engine stand or overhead hoist would be nice and of course a couple spare batteries.
I'm thinking anything above 200 psi is acceptable?

KB

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Running van engine down here...same price.

You would need swap over some parts from yours to work in a truck.

Left ya a voice mail.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
200 is really pretty low. I think healthy is considered 400 and above. 300 is really pushing the low end. The core I turned in for my reman was 180-220. Had a heck of a time getting it started. Ran okay once you got it running.

needlenose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can check the compression, I assume it has a flywheel and starter. If so, just use a gallon jug of fuel and a couple of pieces of fuel line with a primer bulb on the source side. 12v jumper wire the the FSS on the pump and jump the glow relay. Then you can start it and hear it run.

I did it 4-5 times for buyers when I listed the 7.3 in my sig. Sold it for $900 with a rolling stand. That was a complete running turbo engine from fan to down pipe.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All the above apply...
Me' Its a core or he woulda installed it by now.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

That's how I tested mine. Just jumped the starter. Remove all glow plugs so it spins easy and consistent. Mine didn't have pump or lines on it so made it much easier to work with. And no it wasn't sitting on the wall, stupid sideways photos

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online