solid axel swap

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Out here it seems the newer super duty axles are easier and cheaper to get your hands on. I have seen several pairs go for the same or less than just a front D60.

I guess that could be a compelling reason depending on how much less. I guess the new trucks must fall apart pretty quickly to be disposable like that.

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here in middle TN I just today bought a coil sprung 60 from an 07 for $260, rear at $300, while obs 60's go for $1200 round here. Needless to say, IM starting my swap to coil sprung. Another interesting thing that could eventually work itself in is fully functioning esotf 4x4 with the vac pulse hubs.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
People are starting to become aware of all the advantages of the 2005+ Superduty axles...
Everything's way beefier, better ride, tighter turning radius, 6-7k pound axle GVW vs. 4500 for the pre 1999 versions.
Unit bearings are 30% bigger than the 99-04 axles and far less failure prone.
I don't think they're going to stay cheap for very much longer...
The vacuum pulse hubs are notoriously problematic, and require something like a 7 lb. pulse for one way, and 12 lb. to go the other way. There's also a big seal in the knuckle that makes it a bare to remove/install the axles.

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But really cool and helpful when functional haha, and our belt driven vac pumps can handle that easy if a little electric super duty pump can, worst case I would need a small vac canister, and everything has problems, but they work really well for a lot of people

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a thought. It would require a lot of additional work, but may be cool

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could just get the axle in, and worry about the vacuum hubs later.
Hubs can still be engaged with manual lockouts in the meantime.
They use a standard 12v vacuum pump, then go through a solenoid that supplies a 40 second high vacuum pulse to engage the hubs, or a 20 second low vacuum pulse to disengage the hubs. The hubs themselves work kinda like a ball point pen - just a quick burst of vacuum will switch them either way.
The tricky part: that solenoid is controlled by the computer, and there's some kind of clutch mechanism built into the transfer case also....it's probably doable, but I'm not going to attempt to figure it out.
To the OP, I wouldn't rule out 99-04 axles, and the 05+ axles are definitely a good way to go.

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it wouldn't be two bad really, the solenoid is only a two wire connection and I imagine it's all run to the esotf switch on the dash through relays that should be easy to replicate. I was planing on using a 273 anyway (they bolt in) and then you would have the full system. I own a super and an idi, so I've looked at it a few times. But I imagine the OP is not quite as worried on that just yet as he may even go obs 60. And we all know any Ford sas is a good one

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't remember when it started, but super duties went to unit bearings, something I would not want.
I would say the metric pattern has better wheel support. More options.
Not a thing wrong with ball joint axles. Those started in late 80's or early 90's.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

I think the newer coil sprung axles have lots of advantages, but I have to agree with jasper on the unit bearings. I have replaced unit bearings on several low mileage Crown Victoria's, and I've heard from some folks back East who plow snow that they are no fun and nowhere near as durable as the old/cheap wheel bearings. Ever seen a unit bearing come apart? Check these pics out:

http://turtleexpedition.com/tech-stuff/the-bearing-thing/

I remember seeing a DynaTrac tapered bearing conversion kit for the newer SD axles at SEMA and thinking "this is the perfect upgrade", until I saw the $2K price. It is the ultimate SD axle design, but kinda kills the inexpensive OBS axle swap. And then there's the metric wheels, which don't seem as common or inexpensive as the 8 x 6.5.

It's an awesome axle build, but definitely figure for a $3K budget.

Kinda puts those $1200 D60s that almost bolt right in seem pretty budget minded now doesn't it? LOL

No free lunches if you want a good SAS swap!

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know bout where others live, but around here 4 steelies will run all of about $50 haha, just picked em up. Seems that most folks are pretty set that they don't like the unit bearing aspect. I guess it's just what you want to deal with to the op, I'll deal with them personally, all the supers I've driven and the one I own have done me ok, just a matter of choice. As for figuring $3k for the swap, I'll make sure to keep tabs on what it costs when IM done, I'm really gonna try for way less than that, but we will see I suppose