Transfer case question

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a zf5 out of a f450 with the parking brake attached that I installed in my truck from a c6, Though about installing a transfer case for the use of 2 low. The possibly dumb question is can a transfer case be regeared, I have 3.55 gears, Maybe making it feel like 4:10's in low? I have mechanical knowledge but I never had many 4wd trucks. More than likely I will install a transfer case anyway, I can use 2 low and you never know I might decide to go 4wd eventually although I've always been a 2wd truck guy...

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stock low in a 1356 tcase is plenty low enough. Especially for stock tires. Will make a huge difference when backing up trailers etc.

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reverse is plenty low, as is first. Just some dumb ideas running through my sleep deprived head. Also does the 4wd shifter come up through the removable floor pan? I'm assuming it does.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
On the slantnose trucks yes. It is on top of the "transmission hump", to the left and back from the transmission shifter. This is if you get a transfer case and shifter for a slantnose. The bricknose and OBS trucks, the transfer case shifter comes out of the side of the "transmission hump" below the line of the removable floor plate. There is actually a hole cut in the cab floor pan for it to come through. You can use either shifter, just keep in mind where it will come through the floor.......

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't heard of anybody re gearing a 1356. I don't think parts are available to do that. Any typical t case will be a much more drastic gear reduction than the difference between 4.10 and 3.55. Are you thinking of being able to pick a slightly lower range for towing around town? 1356 is pretty low as far as stock t cases go. You will love having a low range

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is my truck (91 aka brick nose). Shifter is left and back of the removable pan. For reference.
You must be registered for see images attach

Just a thought, if you really don't want 4wd, lots of guys would probably be willing to trade you a 2wd zf. If you don't want to go to the trouble of messing with the brake or the tcase.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1) Regearing the t-case would be difficult. To the best of my knowledge there are no gears for it. If you do have that much of a concern with super low gears I'd say run some sort of a t-case doubler or atlas case like they use on rock crawlers.... stupid expensive though. I think the 1345 is a slightly lower ratio than the 1356 too, (might be backwards) so you could do a bit that way. **But**, the stock ratio is more than enough for most anything, especially with the diesel torque. Particularity with 2wd - most times I can spin the rear wheels backing a trailer uphill before I stall the engine, and if you walk along in idle it's nice and slow.

2) The 1345 type shifter goes through the removable pan, the later style (87+) goes through a separate opening. Either will fit on the ZF5, and either I think will work with either t-case. The 1345 does shift a bit more awkwardly with the higher floor pan used on a ZF swap though. If I was going to pick one all things being equal I would use the later style shifter, but it's not that much of a difference.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC,

NOPE no lower gears for tcases that are stock and for our trucks, yes for an Atlas or Dana 300 but then you are getting into custom applications.

Depending on what you want to do, IMHO a 1345 with fixed rear yoke would be best to add to your ZF you will however loose that parking brake on the rear of trans.

This retains a fixed yoke setup like the ZF parking brake, so you only need to shorten the first drive shaft somewhat.

Good luck with your choice.

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's was just a thought, It's fine for towing/Daily driving. As soon as I find a case and shifter assembly I will install them, 2 low will be nice to have for backing up heavy trailers as mentioned. And 4wd in the future is a very good possibility. Might do a ttb50 since they are cheap and more plentiful.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The slant nose t-case shifters that go through the removeable pan are a bit funky.
I kept the 1345 but used the shifter, linkage and pan from my 89 donor truck. Just had to drill an extra hole in one piece of the linkage, and cut out the hole in the floor for the shifter.
Another thing, I ground that big tab off of the linkage so you don't have to jamb the shifter to the side to go into low - shifts buttery smooth now.
I use low range ALOT for backing trailers.

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Guys. Might have to keep my eye out for a brownie that at least has under/Direct, Dont really need a second ovedrive with 3.55's and 265's. I would like an under for when I'm towing on all the hilly curvy small roads we have here. For when 3rd is too low and 4th is too high..

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My front drivehaft had to be shortened and have the f450 yoke put up front. The U-joint to parking brake is pretty good sized. Way bigger than the joints that are on the rest of the truck. So I would have to find a donor and get the driveshaft as well. I been eyeing a 83-86 f250 ex cab 4x4 sitting by a field out here. Thought about stopping and making a offer for the whole thing. The ex-cab's came with the dana 50 right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnlx