Possible turbo for the idi

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
So we were cleanin my basement today an what do you ya know I found another turbo lol.its a 3304 cat turbo.would there be any way to somehow put it on my 6.9.i know I'm gonna have to do a bunch of stuff to the engine to support it cause it's pretty good sized. I'll post a pic when I can but my taps talk is screwed up

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'll have to look at the compressor map and run the numbers for the IDI's CR, BFSC, and desired AFR. That should help you determine if the turbo in question is even feasible.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That little cat is a 7 liter engine, so your on the right track lol.

Displacement isn't the key to turbo math... target RPM's for peak power, fuel consumption, and AFR play in heavily. That's why the HX 35 is popular in 5+ liter diesels and 2 liter gas four bangers. It's all about the proper math using the variables inherent to the engine.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's basically a Garrett turbo before they were Garrett... mid 80's at best guess. Oil cooled only too. Does it have "0.xx A/R" stamped on the exducer? Older T04s are supposedly similar to T3 flanges nowadays. Need more info like the wheel sizes on the compressor and exducer to determine suitability for IDI ops.

Last edited:

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Displacement isn't the key to turbo math... target RPM's for peak power, fuel consumption, and AFR play in heavily. That's why the HX 35 is popular in 5+ liter diesels and 2 liter gas four bangers. It's all about the proper math using the variables inherent to the engine.

Calm down hoss, notice the lol, it was a joke. :D It doesnt matter cause it'll never go on an idi anyway...kinda the way internet engine building works. ;Really

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Calm down hoss, notice the lol, it was a joke. :D It doesnt matter cause it'll never go on an idi anyway...kinda the way internet engine building works. ;Really

Gotcha gotcha, but hey if it'll fit and function I'd love to see photos of it in a remote turbo setup!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online