Differential fluid

94250turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What weight gear oil should I use on my front and rear differentials on my 86 f350? I know the front is a d60 not sure what the rear is... What did this year come with for a rear end? Did they come factory as limited slip?

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
85W-140 for the Sterling 10.25 rear, if memory serves. Get a rubber gasket (no scraping off RTV on the next fluid change) while you're at it and check the vent tubes to make sure they aren't packed with gunk.

Check the diff codes in the Tech Introduction sticky at the top.

Last edited:

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check your rear axle tag and then figure out if you're diff is open or limited slip. Open should take 85W-140, I'd recommend at least semi synthetic if you are going to tow at all. And you don't need a gasket, I've never seen one on a Sterling, just goofy goop.

You can also just pull the diff cover off and inspect as long as you have another rig to get you to the parts store. I'd like to think folks always update the tag if they make a gear/carrier change but experience tells me otherwise, and cracking it open will answer all the questions with little or no mystery LOL

Last edited:

94250turbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your rear axle tag and then figure out if you're diff is open or limited slip. Open should take 85W-140, I'd recommend at least semi synthetic if you are going to tow at all. And you don't need a gasket, I've never seen one on a Sterling, just goofy goop.

You can also just pull the diff cover off and inspect as long as you have another rig to get you to the parts store. I'd like to think folks always update the tag if they make a gear/carrier change but experience tells me otherwise, and cracking it open will answer all the questions with little or no mystery LOL

I hate to sound stupid but when crack it open how can i tell if its limited slip or open?

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to be confusing: "crack it open" means take the differential cover off and see what ring and pinion is inside. You can count the number of teeth on the ring gear and divide by the number of teeth on the pinion gear to get the exact gearing, and you will be able to see if there's a clutch pack inside which would indicate limited slip, if there's just spider gears in the center of the carrier (or you can turn one wheel independently of the other) then it's an open rear end. I'm sure you can find lots of pictures or a diagram of a limited slip carrier vs open diff to identify what you have, and it will most likely match the id tag.

I would inspect the old gear lube that comes out for excessive metal fragments, and clean everything out with brake cleaner before you put it back together and fill it with new gear lube.

Lastly, don't get any gear lube on your coveralls: it stinks (literally).

Good luck

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im pretty sure that my owners manual says 80-90.thats what im running.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Going of memory. Rear is like 4.5 quarts I think. Front is 3. Something like that.
Parts store can tell you.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk