Mitchell Overdrive......

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally, an auxiliary overdrive with a REAL overdrive ratio - 27%;Sweet

So why wouldn't it work with autos?
prolly because there is no automatic disengage like a GV has with the control box. there is items like the Muncie "electric shift" for PTO's that can be adapted to the Mitchell, but it takes money for R&D that they prolly don't have. for all intents and purposes, it is a "lightweight" brownie box.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I've heard of people using a brownie box behind a C6 or Dodge 727 auto. I guess it could be tricky but couldn't you just shift the Mitchell/Brownie if you were sitting still or float the gears? Or does this risk tearing something up? I guess it's a big project, but probably easier than the brownie which was never intended to go in our trucks to begin with. At least this one might be since it was already in an OBS pickup.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought I've heard of people using a brownie box behind a C6 or Dodge 727 auto. I guess it could be tricky but couldn't you just shift the Mitchell/Brownie if you were sitting still or float the gears? Or does this risk tearing something up? I guess it's a big project, but probably easier than the brownie which was never intended to go in our trucks to begin with. At least this one might be since it was already in an OBS pickup.
I could be mistaken on this, but I think the Mitchell is meant to be a shift-on-the-fly. I met a guy who had one behind a C6 in an F-350 crew-cab dualie, and he was very happy with the setup. Unfortunately, he ended up going the Dodge/Cummins route many moons ago...

If I had a 2 wheel drive, I'd be very interested in that unit...

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
What I wouldn't give for a 5 speed, IDI turbo, cowl induction, intercooled, 4.10 spun rearend WITH one of these boxes slapped in between the transmission and transfer case....that way I could use 4x4 if needed.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
Finally, an auxiliary overdrive with a REAL overdrive ratio - 27%;Sweet

So why wouldn't it work with autos?

I think with newer trucks, that have the speedo sensor in the rear end and endless computers to run everything, it would confuse the shifting programs. Should work with our generations.

I think it would fit the Chevy.....

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The statement about the Brownie not really being fit to our rigs... Nope not so... I worked on Roberts Brownie setup when he was out here on the west coast. Now thats a nice clean setup right there. The way he designed and installed it makes it look like a factory option plus.... The 15 forward choices in gears is out of this world for choices.:sly

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i want. darn the $200 shipping though. for $500 it's still a good deal i think.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have 4.10's or 3.54's?

If you have 4.10's, then I'd say go for it, from a technical standpoint.

I'm not sure how much trouble you'd get in with SWMBO when (not if) she finds out, though...are you "just" risking castration, or is there a chance of outright homicide?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01