Alternator Not charging

bran1har

Reaction score
I have a 1992 F250 IDI. Truck has 240k on it, its had a new alternator at some point put on in a while ago. It is the two wire style, with a connector on top that has two pins.
All of a sudden one day my voltage gauge went low and my battery light came on. With the truck running I am reading 12.3 volts, not charging. Someone told me to jump a wire from battery positive to the brown wire going into the alternator. I did that and then it starts charging, I get13.7 volts. So I am assuming that the alternator is is good shape. Maybe the regulator went bad? For some reason the alternator isnt getting the signal to charge? I checked all the fuses inside and under the hood, they are all fine. Any advice? Thanks.

bigpapaj96

Reaction score
Check the voltage regulator or the wires to the wires going to voltage regulatir plug mine did the same thing.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't figure out the brown wire. The wire to trigger it to charge should be a lightgreen/red. Do you have a external regulator or is it built onto the alternator? Unless someone retro-fitted a GM alternator on it. They did use a brown wire. I have one on my 86 Ranger and they work well.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just went through a similar set of events.. replaced Alternator, voltage regulator, checked every connection and circuit... still would not show a charge above 8 amps...

After spending way to much time and money.. tried load testing the batteries [which were both new and therefore "couldn't be the problem"] .. Well.. guess what.. one battery had a bad cell.. charge went to ground.. killed the other battery just enough that it wouldn't take charge which fooled me into thinking "charging circuit problem"..

Two new batteries.. Alternator shows 14.5 volts.. output.. problem solved.. but it drove me NUTSSSSSS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online