Glow plug blew apart while driving

Cdl250

Reaction score
I have an 86 F250 with 87 7.3L IDI, I was driving today and heard a compression leak. I got home and found that the glow plug connector was blown apart. So i removed the glowplug and found it was snapped off right before the nut and the compression came up through the broken plug. I have no idea how I'm going to remove the broken plug. Any ideas ? i tried to use a shopvac and that didn't help.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your engine is an 87 its a 6.9. 88 was the first year for the 7.3.

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sorry double post, it didnt show on my screen for some reason

Last edited:

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pull the injector and go fishing with a hemostat or tweezers. I've heard of guys pulling the injector and cranking it over hoping the compression will blow it out the injector hole. Not that I think that is a good idea, but you already ran your motor so you don't have much to loose by trying. Heck, it's possible you already polverized it and blew it out the exhaust. Look in the injector hole and see what you have on your hands.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet its already out of there. I've broken swelled plugs and put them down through with no ill results. I do not recommend doing it but push came to shove and heads are heavy.

Anyway I doubt the tip is rattling around in the pre cup. It fell, got smashed an blew out the exhaust most likely.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The precup has a very small outlet hole to the cylinder. Unless the GP end is small enough to pass through that hole, it's still in the precup. Remove the injector, put a shop vac in that hole, keep spurting compressed air into the GP hole, if it's still in the precup, you'll hear it come out. Put a piece of ***** hose over the Vac end to catch the piece.