Turbo Option Opinions

kcwright1979

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
093 ATS w/wicked wheel swap and have your local muffler shop do a 4in straight pipe will get you where you need to be. The used ATS kits are pretty cheap and parts are still availble I picked up a compleate 093 with ATS housing and 3 inch DP my local turbo shop sold me a brand new garrett CHRA and put it all back together for 450.00 out the door NOS special he said. So after all is said n done compleate turbo kit 1300.00 better than the cost of a new setup in my book.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
You got a website that still sells ATS parts? I seem to never have any luck finding ATS parts and the wrecking yards around here are ALWAYS stripped of 7.3L diesel parts... No engines, or turbos to go along with them. Once I return home I will be able to do some solid research, but if the used ATS doesn't work, Hypermax it is!

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
I don't like used parts that you don't know the history of ya know? If for some reason I happen to ever see a fully intact turbo kit at a wrecking yard, I will swipe it.... I don't really ever see that happening as I have never seen a fully intact turbo kit. Yeah, being easy on the wallet would be awesome! But how much am I going to pay to find parts for it cause no one makes parts for the old ATS kits as far as I know. I dunno bout a wicked wheel 2 on an IDI haha.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have most of the remaining ATS parts

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much do you think it will hurt the spool? That is almost the most important part! Haha!

When I was installing my hypermax set up I was extremely skeptical. My engine is bone stock, new bearings, rings, gaskets and a rebuild ip turned 2 flats with a straight pipe exhaust.

With that being said I'm amazed at how quick it spools with those long up pipes and no waste gate. Used kit with who knows how many miles will still push 11psi when I'm on it hard with just a little puff of black smoke.

Honestly I feel it spools quicker than most powerstrokes I've drove.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
If it were me I would avoid Banks. Hypermax looks like a fine setup using a Garrett turbo I believe and Mel is using this kit as a base for his ball bearing turbo/kit so that might give you easy bolt on upgrade options. Hypermax also sells a more or less bolt on intercooler kit for their turbo setup. Convenience.

ATS 093 has cleaner pipe routing IMO and of course was the factory setup so there's some merit there.

Bottom line I would avoid Banks mainly for the Mitsubishi turbos... Not necessarily because it's foreign (though I dislike that) but because you can't just order a rebuild kit from anywhere and Banks won't sell parts. Lack of support after dropping a couple grand on a new setup breaks the deal for me. FWIW I have an early non wastegate Banks on my truck, came with it. Performance is fine for what it is but I understand it will be either a major pain to make this slushbox specific pedestal and pipes work with a ZF5, so eventually it'll get sold to help cover the cost of a setup that'll work for my plans. I think the ATS pipe routing and pedestal works with pretty much anything and not sure the differences with Hypermax, if any.

bullfisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bolted a to4b to a new sidewinder kit last night. Had to make a couple small mods to the setup but so far its been a good bolt on install. Banks was happy just to sell me the whole kit minus their turbo and muffler for about $800.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I just bolted a to4b to a new sidewinder kit last night. Had to make a couple small mods to the setup but so far its been a good bolt on install. Banks was happy just to sell me the whole kit minus their turbo and muffler for about $800.

banks sold you a new kit MINUS the turbo? For 800???

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
I think I have my mind set on the Hypermax.... I'll probably end up buying it new only due to the fact it will everything I need, unless by some chance I run into a compete used kit or something. 2,300 for EVERYTHING needed isn't a bad price in my opinion, ecspecially for a brand new one to.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, no turbo no muffler. It included the exhaust, guages, the works!

Yep, they will sell kit less turbo, but that's a lot better than the price I got. Unless the muffler is $600. That's a little irritating but I picked up a used banks kit less the turbo reasonable. The consensus seems to be you can't go wrong with a turbo. Just enjoy your extra power.

bullfisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Their muffler is pretty spendy. I don't remeber what my receipt said it was.but I don't think it was 600. Their turbo was 1900$ though. I really like the banks kit, just not a fan of their turbo. They also have great service and support. I also like the stuff that R&D is putting out, but he only answers emails and refuses to answer his phone and I don't do buisiness that way.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
One thing that I really like about the Hypermax setup is it uses the stock round air cleaner/housing. I like that because the round style will swirl the air outward in a way that most of the debris, dust and crap collects on the housing instead of directly onto the filter element.... Does that make any sense at all? :dunno With flat filters everything goes directly onto the element no matter what---I go through flat filters like crazy around here on the dirt roads and such. With the round style I'd just pull them off and dump them out everysooften. May or may not be a benefit to you...

Anyway if you want my opinion I think the Hypermax is a no brainer. Good kit that you can get parts for if needed ;Sweet

Last edited: