93 Ford E 350 Ambulance 7.3 idi MN Mechanics

PrettyRicky

Reaction score
MN Mechanics

Hello,

This is my first post. I just bought this 1993 Ford E350 Ambulance Attachment 53782

It's a 7.3 idi diesel. This is the first and only diesel I've ever owned. I know from reading how important it is to run the right coolant in these engines. I'd decided on using Final Charge global. Thoughts on that?

I want to get a coolant flush, transmission flush, and engine oil change. The guy I bought it from wouldn't tell me anything about it. He was basically worthless in terms of information. So I figured by changing all these oils I can start a log book and know what I'm starting with. I'm finding it's hard to find someone who can fit the dually box van on their lifts. Midas won't, Jiffy Lube won't. Mr. Tire won't. Sure the Ford dealership can, but they charge such a premium.

Do any of you have any mechanics or shops you recommend? It's an odd sized vehicle, and I'm learning that diesels and duallys are hard to even find mechanics for.
Any help is appreciated.

I suppose it should be in a separate post, but I'm seriously interested in converting it from a dually to a single wheel if anyone has knowledge or is in MN and can do this please send me a PM.

Thanks!

PS I'm in the Twin Cities Area

Attachments

• 20141206_093854.jpg
    20141206_093854.jpg
    996.9 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Go to your local fire/ems department and see where they take theirs.
Any reason you can't do it yourself?
And why would you go from dually to single?
Wouldn't really make sense on a truck like that.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

PrettyRicky

Reaction score
I can't do it because I don't have a shop or anywhere to work on it. It's cold here in MN. Also I thought for a Radiator flush you needed special pumps or some **** to alkalize the system? I'm no mechanic.
I'd thought about asking the local ems where they take theirs. Not a bad idea.
The reason I'd thought about the dually thing is a number of reasons.
tires aren't cheap
I know nothing about duallys
one more thing to go wrong
How do you change a tire on a dually?
I don't even see a valve stem to air the darn thing up. granted it was dark and cold out when I looked.
I want to take this thing cross country. This is going to be my Toy Hauler/Camper. I'm just trying to get it tuned up and ready to rock.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
No. No special tools or anything like that.
Yeah, tires aren't cheap, but that's no real reason to take one off. Especially since you said you'd be hauling with it.
Changing tires is no different than any other vehicle. Jack up, Remove lug nuts, pull tire.
For the valve stems, the one on the outer tire is pointing inwards. Inner tire points out.
You can get extenders to make them easier to get to.

PrettyRicky

Reaction score
All I'll be hauling is small stuff like my dirtbike. Was thinking of getting a hitch hauler to put that on the back and keep the inside more living space oriented.
Still not sure who to bring it to for these simple things like oil change. Is oil change the same as gas cars as far as every 3,000 is whats recommended?

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
All I'll be hauling is small stuff like my dirtbike. Was thinking of getting a hitch hauler to put that on the back and keep the inside more living space oriented.
Still not sure who to bring it to for these simple things like oil change. Is oil change the same as gas cars as far as every 3,000 is whats recommended?

Oil change interval is around 3k, yes. It's been too long since I did an IDI change, so I can't tell you how much oil it takes. It's in the neighborhood of 10-ish quarts though. If I were you, I'd do them myself. Most places that do oil changes charge a LOT more for those extra quarts of diesel-quality oil.

Depends on personal preference for oil brand. These things were designed to be used with Delo, which is good, conventional oil. I also like the blue Valvoline 15w-40. I do NOT like Rotella, but some people do. It's up to you. You can find Delo on sale quite often, which is why I use it along with the Valvoline.

You can also use the Powerstroke oil filter instead of the IDI one, which adds a quart to the oil capacity, and is a lot better filter anyway. The number is a FL1995. Use only Motorcraft brand on that one, they run about $10 a piece.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i change my oil about every 6 months which is probally about 1500 miles. overkill, but keeps the oil fresh.
i would never convert to a single rear from a dual. tires are not cheap, this is 100% correct, but if you do have a rear flat, you still have another tire to help out.
my opinion is to learn, i bought my IDI about 6 months ago without knowing jack **** about them.
now i pretty much know this truck like the back of my hand.
they are very simple. i mean VERY simple.
the biggest pain about the cooling system is the thermostat. use a ford t-stat and search how to do it, and beware of the check ball.

PrettyRicky

Reaction score
Why do I need a new thermostat and what's a check ball? I've heard they are easy, however with the Van front end you can hardly see any of the engine by popping the hood. Looks like a very tight work space. Sure if it wasn't MN winter I could change engine oil myself. My problem is I've moved to the cities and have no shop or anywhere heated to do the oil change. Then there's the transmission flush and radiator flush I know nothing about. Could prob figure out how to drain and replace coolant, however I suspect that is not the same as a "flush" and transmission I don't believe I could do - I know nothing about transmissions. I never thought it'd be this hard to find a local mechanic that works on these things. Love the ambulance though. It's super cool.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Honestly, I would be VERY suspicious of any mechanic who actually WAS willing to work on an old IDI. Most just won't touch them because they're an old diesel and they can't hook up a scanner to them to see what's wrong. The art of actually diagnosing them by knowledge and experience comes in to play there...

Why Me?

Reaction score
Hi Rick
you will like the dually it stops on a dime, also I think that they put a different size differential on a ambulance called a "cassis and cab" I might be wrong but do not purchase a differential assembly without knowing exactly what it is you are replacing first (measure the distance from the "inside tire" over to the other "inside tire")

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
^ Correct.
Don't really need a heated shop. I get that it's cold, just get you some coveralls.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It takes at least a 12,000 lb lift to raise an Ambulance, anything less than that would be dangerous.

This thread should be in the 6.9 - 7.3 IDI forum, you do not have a 7.3 PSD. Nice looking rig.

PrettyRicky

Reaction score
Honestly, I would be VERY suspicious of any mechanic who actually WAS willing to work on an old IDI. Most just won't touch them because they're an old diesel and they can't hook up a scanner to them to see what's wrong. The art of actually diagnosing them by knowledge and experience comes in to play there...

Which is exactly why I'm trying to reach out. I figured, or had hoped someone here may know of a mechanic I could trust for my needs.