Engine Wash

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to wash my engine to try to remove some of the years of dirt and grime all over it. Aside from covering the intake and alternator, is there anything else I should be aware of or avoid? By comparison, I wash my TDI's engine semiannually, don't cover anything, and just keep the nozzle moving and not force water anywhere for too long.
Thanks in advance.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pull your air cleaner, duct tape the hole in your intake manifold, get yourself a couple of toilet brushes or whatever you deem works best, and give it a good soapy cleaning. I've always washed engines cold, and don't use pressure washers, and I love Dawn dishwashing liquid as "it takes grease out of your way", and my buddy always used to joke that it reminded him of his crazy ex-wife by the same name cookoo.

When you are done, look up the valve cover torque specs and see if yours are tightened correctly as that's really the only place I've seen an IDI leak profusely from. I mean they leak a little all over :D, but valve cover leaks make a big mess.

Good luck, and post the method you decide upon.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure the IP is cold... thermal shock can affect the internal clearances and seize it up.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too heard to wash them cold. Don't drive to the carwash and do it there.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the rear of engine in the vally is a small bolt like thingy that is actually a drain...poke wire or what have u down it to make sure it will drain...

As for me...well I go whole hog...4000 psi steam cleaner...wash it down best you can...then spay it down with straight SUPER CLEAN in purple spray bottle or jug..dont dilute it...soak everything...let sit 5-10 minutes do not let it dry...then wash away again.

I hold nothing bqck and I ONLY cover i take thats it....

JM2CW

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Check your valley pan grommet before you wash it. It's next to that square drain you need to clear first. If it is bad water can leak into crankcase. Make note of engine oil level before you start. After you are done re-check oil level to make sure you didn't get water in the oil. Hot water works best so if you have access to a steam cleaner use it.

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excellent, guys. Thanks for all the tips! I never had problems or heard of issues with the IP on the VW so the washing cold is new to me for the IDI. All I've done in the past was spray it in Simple Green and gently wash out of fear for getting water in somewhere it didn't belong. This will be my project for the next 40+ degree day.
Thanks again

smokin150

aka Diesel Weasel
Reaction score
Never knew not to wash them down hot... I usually drive to car wash and use their hot water washer with the engine running... Have sucked up some water tho... Talk about noise and smoke...

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
FWIW I've always done mine warm (not hot after a hard run). Spray with engine brite and scrub as best I can then hose it down. With the IDI I've done it only right before changing oil given the intake valley pan and potential for water intrusion through the CDR/turbo drain, and I also avoid going after the IP since it sits high and is clean regardless. Didn't get any water in oil but better safe than sorry.