Fuel filter heater?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have long ago deleted my stock fuel filter head heater due to leaks. In its palce i have (i believe) an M12 plug. Wondering If can take that out, or put a recuding adapter in there, and run a little rod heater directly into there? Or can i drill the venry center of it and put something like this in?

You must be registered for see images

Im just not paying 190 bucks for a brand name heater like that, since out block heaters are 1000W and OEM for about $30!!

Anyone know what this type of heater pictured is called?

Unsure if i want to do 12v on a circuit off the batteries, or have a 120V and have it tied in with my block heater..

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is not much room in there for that type of heater. If you are worried, I'd get something that wraps around the fuel filter. Where you are, gelling the filter is a possibility even if the fuel is treated.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The wrap heaters seem to work well for those who use them.
I think I've even seen injection line heaters.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wrap filter seems to be the easiest. I found a company that makes them, 1/4" diameter with an 1/8" NPT head, 2" long with 118W output
That is plenty small for that, however needs a minimum 10 orders to make them.
ONly thing I dont like about the wrap around heaters is 1) expensive 2) have to take it off when changing a filter

Matt_INW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be interested to see what you get, and the results. Had to delete mine due to leaking too. It does get cold here, but not like MI.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Really not a win win situation here.
I guess you could swap to a better filter head. Still uses a spin on bottom also, which contain a heater.
Something like this. http://m.ebay.com/itm/221398942179
The reason this would be better, heat rises. The heater is at the bottom.

What you're trying might work. I would choose carefully on the fittings you use. Go for better heat transferring materials.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice! those are a great price! 1/3 of other brands that look the same. I like the lace up deal.

Im not running diesel fuel right now, running ****** 15w40 oil as fuel with various blends of gasoline and kerosene.
My latest blend was only 10% RUG and the truck did NOT want to start in 65F weather whatsoever. Took a solid 5 mins of cranking, once fired off it ran great.
Best way is to run a 2 tank system, but I only have the one 44g rear tank, so cant start and stop on diesel.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh.well i wonder if a small heater blanket like this could be wrapped around the IP with a toggle switch and or timer.since the start up fuel will be in the ip already,one would think this being heated up before any cranking was done would the quickest way to get her to light off.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Random thought.. My VW recirculates fuel from the return lines through the fuel filter to warm it up.. Works good I think. Wonder if something like that is possible/worthwhile on the IDI :dunno

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^yes a heater over the IP would be ideal!
PS plugged in the morning for an hour and it fired right off. But again, 60F outside, probably wont light off plugged in during the winter if I run this thick of blend.

First plan of approach is to thin my mix down, as its unnaceptable to have to plug in at these warm temps.
20% kerosene is next plan of attack, as 20% RUG resulted in high EGTs.

If the blend doesnt work, I will use one of those silicone heater pads wrapped around the IP.
Put it on a 10 minute timer off the batteries-experiemnt with how long it needs. Hopefully it leaves enough juice in the batteries to light GP then turn the thing over though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online