So Reman A/C Compressor shot?

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
So update and total score!

After a couple days of screwing around with flush I finally decided to screw it and buy new evaps and condensor. They're so cheap it just didn't make sense to risk not having them perfect. I also got some filter element things that install right at the compressor inlet to catch any debris and got a new 2 stage pump and a micron gauge.

Anyway, on to the score. On ebay I came across a NOS condensor for the van, thought perfect, was cheaper than aftermarket too. The box showed up today and it was huge and heavy, I opened it up and not only did I get a new high efficiency OEM condensor, but it was a whole Ford R-12 to R-134A conversion kit! It came with all sorts of goodies, most of which I don't even know what they are. It came with new wires, no sure why, new pressure sensor for accumulator, all new fittings to convert the R-12s to R-134A. A whole bunch of plastic "deflector" pieces which I have no idea where they might go, a ton of foam with a sticky side that somehow works with the deflectors, two cans of Ford Pag oil, a whole assortment of Ford screws and plastic clips and of course the condenser. It's not the normal R-12 tube one, it's got really narrow channels which I guess is the higher efficiency type from what I've read. Below are pics. I didn't even have a clue Ford made this newer condenser for a conversion like this.

You must be registered for see images attach

Assortment of some of the stuff from the box.

more of the stuff.

The condenser

Close up of the tubes and fins. The original condenser has the just the round tubes and different type of fins.

Condenser part number.

New 2 stage pump and micron gauge. Vacuum is getting down to 15 microns which is better than it's supposed to be rated for.

This is screen that goes in the compressor inlet, I am putting a finer screen in it as well to catch smaller particles as this one is pretty coarse.

Here is how they will sit in the compressor. They're supposed to face the other way actually, but they will work better this way for me.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would assume the deflectors go around the condenser to help force air through.
Any part number on the box?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I would assume the deflectors go around the condenser to help force air through.
Any part number on the box?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Yes, box has a part number on it and each part has a part number on it. I'd agree, they are to direct air somehow, but without a diagram I have no idea how to determine where they might go.

I will have to get the part numbers posted tomorrow probably.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
I'm not sure if anyone warned you but dont let any oil get into your micron gauge. That's one thing that kills them quick!

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I'm not sure if anyone warned you but dont let any oil get into your micron gauge. That's one thing that kills them quick!

Roger that. I hooked it directly to vacuum and have ball valve to isolate, when i close valve and turn off pump it slowly goes up and holds at 2500 microns, so not sure what the deal is there, not sure if its the valve, the guage, or something internal that doesnt seal super well.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
I have heard those valves are known to leak. Also a lot guys swear by using nylog on the rubber seal in the fittings when drawing a vacuum.

Having a micron gauge will make you question every seal on every fitting and every hose in you setup.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Sorry for delay. No, I found the kit on Ebay, some random seller.
The part number on the box was for an evaporator, so not sure what the part number is on the whole kit...

Funny thing, I finally get it all put back together after I flushed everything for weeks, pull a vacuum, anddddd it leaks. ***. So after searching for a while I find the leak is this new condenser, hahaha, just can't win. So I ended up getting another new condenser of the old style and using that. I plan to try to braze this one back together as it seems to be leaking at one of the top joints. Might be fixable. Maybe i'll install it later again if I can seal it.

Good news is, AC is working now. FINALLY. With the micron guage i was able to pull it down to about 500 microns, and no further, it seems to hold 500 too for a long while. I guess whatever seals on the system just wouldn't let her go any further. Either that, or it's how the port that the vacuum hookup isn't on the bottom of the piping. I guess when you get a vacuum that low, the air doesn't want to move up against gravity so it just kinda sits in the low areas.

I charged up with R134A to make sure all is good and will run that for a while, then switch back to duracool. That process should push out any remaining oxygen from the system hopefully.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nice kit you scored there...:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
As for the vacuum pump. Sorry I did not see you needed one. I made mine from a refrigerator freon pump. Those black can deals will pull 27 inches of vacuum. The can be had at any frig repair shop for around 25 bucks too. Just find any frig or water cooler. Be careful removing the black can cause of the freon possibly still in the syatem. Plug in the power to see what side sucks or blows. then sweat on the needed ac fittings and your golden.