Project build "Apep"

MarX740

Reaction score
Little update. Got some pics of the underside of the cab.
http://imgur.com/a/h5NtP
apologies for the pic angles.
Not running yet, thinking lift pump may have bit it. Manually primed from the tank to the lift pump but batteries were flat again so they're charging now.

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
Damn....That "undercoating material" is what did it. If not prepped right and sprayed, when it flakes, this happens. Had a El Camino chassis rust a hole the size of a golf ball because it came from Illinois and same thing happened. If you decide its more trouble than its worth, Let me know. I'll take the core off your hands if its in decent shape.
Luckily, The actual chassis doesn't look THAT bad.

MarX740

Reaction score
May end up doing that Cruiseomatic, you know I'm in Canada though right? Not sure how easy the process is going down but coming up is a bit of a pain(import crap)
Update on the engine this time, she stopped turning over:eek:
Cranking got slower and slower now just goes thunk and nothing. Not the typical dead battery click.
Batteries fully charged but maybe not the best condition. Thinking crappy batts plus hacked together terminals(nowhere around here has 2/0 cable or terminals short of industrial suppliers and they hate consumer sales) may have killed the starter.

Either that or the PO put water in the tank and it's hydrolocked now.(hadn't thought he was that malicious but may have been.)
Pulled #3(I think) glowplug and water didnt come out but the glows are vertical so it wouldn't run out right?

If the engine in this thing is done I'll be getting rid of it, that was the only thing keeping this project even close to being worth it. Will take off the turbo and chalk it up to being an expensive hypermax kit and a lesson in misplaced trust.

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
Pull all the glow plugs out then try. When mine hydrolocked while running, I pulled all 8 and cylinder 5 was like old faithful. And an hour later it was again. Get new cables and re run them. Also get your starter checked. Mine cranked way to slow until I broke it and replaced with a jy one. Cranks real nice now. If you have one, O'Reilly has the pos battery cable for this truck. Nice one too. If you think water, drop the tank...

MarX740

Reaction score
Thanks, yeah plan on pulling the rest was getting tired and cold last night haha. What is the best way of testing the starter? Not sure if Partsource does starters or just alts/batts. No O'reilly here unfortunately :/ We get kinda screwed in parts stores. Theres basically autozone/Canadian tire and NAPA for big box places.
I'm looking at around $125 or so for a junkyard starter locally(W/o gear reduction) or $180~ for a new Remy gear reduction one from Rockauto.

MarX740

Reaction score
Welcome to the wild and lovely world of a Canadian. Pretty well par for the course, there's a lot that's not available and when it is it's overpriced. cookoo
Doesn't help hitting that dotted line when shipping bumps the price usually around $50(go figure, it's free shipping to NY but it hits ONT and its $100:confused:) and then our dollar is only worth $.74 of a US dollar.
Yeah I was a little put off by the price too as a reman off rockauto is only 120+shipping but the boneyard has the benefit of being local. Will likely get a new one if all the yards are charging 100+
May as well get new glowplugs at the same time as I don't know when these were replaced last. Are the DieselRX plugs any good or should I just stick with the ZD-9's? If they're all matching it has Bosch ones now.

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
Gotta love import taxes.....Get the one off RA or any online source. More importantly from a place that has some kind of reputation. RA is a middle man type store. ALot of their product is from Dorman and some isn't that good. Honestly, If it does go, It SHOULD have some kind of warranty AND it will be new. And even with the Canadian dollar only being worth 3/4 of a US dollar that is STILL high.
As far as glowplugs go, Only get Beru/Motorcrafts. Others are crap. Seen to many horror stories about them.

MarX740

Reaction score
Heh yep, among other things.
I've had fairly decent experience with RA. Better than most places I've dealt with anyways(ie. I ordered wheel bearings for a Lexus once, received a steering knuckle for a Grand Prix instead)
After seeing a couple starting videos I'm thinking the starter wasn't in great shape to start with, mine didn't even come close to cranking at the same speeds.

Got 70% done removing the starter before it decided to rain continuously for the last day so waiting for it to dry up a bit and will be pulling and testing starter, replacing battery cables and terminals.
Found a source on 2/0 cable(Princess auto, basically Canadian Harbor Freight) Not too bad, $5.50/foot. Found it cheaper online but then you wait for 2 months to get something that doesn't work. LOL
Plan on getting 2 new batteries, the ones I have aren't great and just randoms. Is there any advantage to getting commercial batteries for these? Looking at the group 31 instead of the consumer group 65

Hitting the GP's with PB Blaster daily till i get more time to pull them, they're not MC so trying to minimize the chances of snapping one, I have a habit of shearing bolts.
Yeah that's about what I figured on the GP's, way better to spend a little more for something that's not going to ruin my life haha.

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
Pulling the starter is fun....I cheated on mine. When I replaced it, I had the core off so I just ran 3ish ft worth of extensions to the front behind the bumper. On the gp, just be easy with them once they loosen, they'll just spin out. At least in theory. It'll be hard then click and you can almost take them out by hand.