Dorman vs Motorcraft vacuum pump?

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen some similar threads on this, however, I'm torn on which one to buy. Other brands of vacuum pump are all reman requiring a core. Dorman pumps are brand new and they claim that they have "re-engineered the original needle bearing on the CAM which seizes, causing pump failure."

The Motorcraft pump is $188 and the Dorman pump is $75. I don't really want to shell out the extra $$$ for an OEM one, but I got the impression the Dorman pumps may not be as good quality. Has anyone used one and had a good experience?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I have one. has the same casting marks as the oem sooooo...

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think there is a little known secret to add oil to those when new. When I replaced mine I removed the screw at the back of the pulley shaft and filled it with oil. If I remember correctly I put a lot more oil into it than came out!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Adding oil was talked about here some time back. I feel its the right thing to do but. Don't fill it so much there is no room for expansion. Also these pumps will suck running either direction. I was embarrassed to find this out in 2009. After all the work I did building my engine. converting to serpentine belts. Even had the pic from towcat but still placed the belt UNDER the vacuum pump pulley. Funny thing was driving the 2000 miles to the rally I would feel the cruise control drop out once in a while. Turns out I was loosing vacuum because the belt was not running all the time on the pulley. Travis found this and asked me hows my vacuum.. Fine cause I have hydroboost brakes. then he pointed out my mistake. Sure was a shock to the guts for me. funny how the easy to see things are missed. Thanks travis for "helping me along"...:angel::sly

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What Do You Mean Under The Vacuum Pump? every Serp Setup I've Seen And Even My Factory Stickers Have All routed The belt Under The pulley

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
BR3. I touted my belt over the TOP of the pulley. It originally looked and felt fine but. It was on wrong. Travis found this and pointed it out to me. I did not feel like changing it at the rally in 2009 so I drove home that way. So it was not spinning the vacuum pump all the time. I run the hydroboost brakes so I'm not using vacuum assist brakes any longer. My vacuum only runs the ac-heater vent doors and the cruise control. Every serpentine belt run is under the vacuum pump pulley as you posted. To run like I did over the pulley is very dangerous with vacuum assist factory brakes.

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I see, when you said under I got confused, yea I know about that too that's why I did the hydro conversion myself, brakes got stiff, vacuum booster got swapped haha. I still replaced the pump too though, I like my dash vents.but,your not the only one to put a belt on wrong and still have a halfway functioning system. The other day I noticed I had my belt running over the water pump around the alternator and then back to the tensioner or some convoluted path. Worked fine and it rode all surfaces correctly, but as soon as I saw my mistake I fixed it quick