Tightwad WMO filtration system test

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pump you have looks similar to 12v Harbor Freight diesel pump we have. If it is... Ours does not like wmo at all. Extremely slow, sounds angry, gets hot. If what you have there DOES end up liking WMO... I may be in the market for one!!

mikepotts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im sure its along the same lines of quality found at HF... i just hope it can get me by for a while.

mikepotts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well... first batch is in the barrel! i decided to start off with 27 gal (half barrel) so i put 4 gal of RUG in the barrel then went and pumped 23 gal of oil in. gonna filter/pump it into the ready to use barrel after work. i dont know if i have the balls to put this in the truck and try it LOL!

mikepotts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well... i need to get some different filters, the pump wouldnt push thru all three, so i removed the last element and tried again, no go removed the second element and yes it will pump thru the water sep/filter element, so i filled tank 2 and pumped the rest in my ready to use barrel. started the truck on D2 in tank 1, then switched to W85 in tank 2 and drove home... i might be crazy and it might be a psychological thing, but the truck seemed to have MORE power, no funny noises, rattles or anything and it started right back up after shutdown. i did notice a different smell from the exhaust. i guess all of this is expected, with my luck im always waiting for the big bang! all in all very happy, gonna go for a longer ride later tonite for more data.

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you need to find a better pump for pushing through the filters... That is, until you realize a fuge is the way to go :) Go to Harbor Freight and buy one of the $30-50 water pumps. That's what I used for almost a year and shows no signs of stopping. Waaayyyy more power than the 12 volt pumps.

mikepotts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you need to find a better pump for pushing through the filters... That is, until you realize a fuge is the way to go :) Go to Harbor Freight and buy one of the $30-50 water pumps. That's what I used for almost a year and shows no signs of stopping. Waaayyyy more power than the 12 volt pumps.

i know a fuge is the way to go, im gonna put the money im saving on fuel aside until i have the money to buy a fuge then add it to the system post filters... i will check on the water pump, it would work at the shop on 110v and i can keep the 12v for pick up duties. just got back from a longer drive to mom and dads place and back... its very satisfying to know im driving on $1 a gallon.

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our way of life isn't without caveats, but I will never go back, and now everything I purchase that has an engine on it I try to find IDI diesel powered. I'm getting ready to replace my three front deck mowers, and am trying to find some good Deere f735's to replace them with. My local buddy that helped me build the first version of a direct driven fuge has already purchased an old military generator, and I'm lining up to purchase one as well. We are going to supplement our home power with WMO as needed.

mikepotts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sweet! i get out to west TN from time to time conducting classes, i would like to see your operation sometime... if you didnt mind.

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike, something I did for a pump that is the ONLY thing I have not yet changed is a power steering pump for a transfer/processing/filling pump. I use the same pump for all functions and use valves to switch it's suction and exhaust points.
My pump came off of a 97 F150. I took the alternator pulley off the same truck, filled the 18mm shaft hole with cheap epoxy and then chucked it up in the wood lathe and used a 1/2" drill to drill the epoxy out to fit my washing machine motor. That pulley worked fine for a while, but the cheap epoxy was not up to the torque that the washing machine motor can put out (I used cheap plumbers epoxy). When my local WMO buddy came by to see the setup and see if it interested him, he saw the problems my pulley was giving me and turned me one out of an aluminium blank. I have since redesigned the mount from original and will redesign it one more time because I'm having a lot of trouble getting the non standard washing machine motor mounts right so I can properly tension the belt. With that said though, it is the only thing I will not totally change in my next redesign this spring, or hopefully fall.

I have replaced the pump once with a re-manufactured unit because I didn't know how to properly clean it when it got clogged with bird feathers and hay straw. I have since learned how to disassemble and clean the pump for the occasions that it gets clogged and figure it will outlast everything else in my system. It puts out way more volume than even two fuges can handle, and could easily push four of them or of course one much larger. It can fill my tanks in about five minutes and I have no clue what it's relief pressure is, but I know it can push way more than 500PSI. It can output enough pressure to flat out ruin a 250PSI gauge lol. It also has four conveintly place mounting holes that allowed me to bolt it down to a 2X6 fairly easily.

AND, in the event it ever does fail I can replace it under warranty at orielly's, and I even told them what I was doing with the pump, but honestly i don't think it will ever need anything more than an occasional cleaning.

You must be registered for see images attach

The really nice thing about it is it has a nice 1/2" inlet hose barb, (that can be repositioned with a little difficulty)and a good high pressure nylon reinforced exhaust hose that I cut in half from the truck. It is perfect for it's application. I turn it at well below it's rated rpm and it still has way more volume than I currently need. It has run for literally days on end and the motor nor pump complain. I have run oil through it that was so hot it smoked the paint on the pump to no ill effect. I honestly don't think you can buy a pump that will work better than it does, AND if you just go straight to the auto-parts store and buy one it's only 70 bucks. Although you won't get the handy swivel exhaust hose that came installed on the truck lol.

PS all the oil spilled is from one of its cleanings when the mixing tank intake screen fell off and it sucked in straw and other miscellaneous garbage.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats Mike, glad to read its going good.
And I would say X2 on what Josh said about wmo usage in general.
I'd like to find a Japanese, Korean, or whatever, small pickup with a diesel engine. I've seen the older small VW cars, but my height says dont do it..., kinda like Josh's Mercedes.

mikepotts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Absolutely, I can show you a LOT of what not to do lol

COOL! did you mean a pump like this one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-1H...t=BI_Pumps&hash=item540fa3cda5#ht_3551wt_1153

Congrats Mike, glad to read its going good.
And I would say X2 on what Josh said about wmo usage in general.
I'd like to find a Japanese, Korean, or whatever, small pickup with a diesel engine. I've seen the older small VW cars, but my height says dont do it..., kinda like Josh's Mercedes.

yeah, ive built a few rockcrawlers and broncoii with 5.0, 435, 205 and rockwells then a toyota... ive been thinking about doing another toyota with a VW diesel motor on W85 sounds fun!

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://m.harborfreight.com/portable-utility-pump-65836.html

Here's the pump I have. Gone up in price a little. Still around $60 with 20% coupon. HF has one similar to the one you posted for about the same price with shipping. Friend has that one and works well for him too. He said mine sounds less angry than his when pumping wmo though haha

Rock crawler? Here's mine. I think WMO would be too stinky for trail use though!

You must be registered for see images

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go jeep with a cedes engine, twice the displacement and a good sized readily available turbo to boot. I think to fit the straight sixes in you have to extent the radiator mounts though. IRCC the straight 5 3.0's fit as is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online