WMO what to do with it?

sassyrel

Reaction score
I think a big part part of the problem with using WMO is the nature of of the particulate matter, especially engine wear components the iron, steel and bearing material. Much more abrasive than the "normal" particulate in say wvo biodiesel etc. Not for me but it's free so I guess thats good.

how long, do bearings last in a idi???????????????????????????? so how much metal, is in the oil????????????

sassyrel

Reaction score
I guess below 5 microns and it should not matter too much but it is still going to be more abrasive than say wvo with 5micron bits of french fry. I can see why agnem is not taking wmo IP's

my pump man, knows what im running,,and didn't argue one bit, about rebuilding it..........my final wmo filter,,is 5 microns,,which he told me a pump can handle...then dilute two wmo,, to one dsl......

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pssst FoolhardyIDI, there's section about 2/3rds down on the front page of the OB, its dedicated to burning wmo,wvo and a lot of other stuff. (Biodiesel & Alternative Fuel section);Sweet;Sweet
Just above the Lounge area.
But hey try not to spread it far, its kinda a small group....:D

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my pump man, knows what im running,,and didn't argue one bit, about rebuilding it..........my final wmo filter,,is 5 microns,,which he told me a pump can handle...then dilute two wmo,, to one dsl......

Mine has a 2 micron before the injection pump WIX 88315, good quality filter.
Yea check out my oil sample:sly

They called me really concerned! :rotflmao

Attachments

• uoa-w85.jpg
    uoa-w85.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 61

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Look at it how you may there is going to be things in WMO that won't burn. The base oil itself will burn but the additives to prevent wear and keep the engine clean will turn into ash and carbon. You can't filter that stuff out of the oil either.

Some guys have good luck running WMO and others end up with carboned up engines. It a gamble you take with that type of thing. I don't have very good luck so I'll stick with pump fuel for now.

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
I'll share my WMO experience, in hopes it helps someone.

I set up a system for a friend. using large polyester filters over a 55 gal drum, and into 7x32 sock filters. Filtering from 300m down to 1 micron.

Worked great the first few times. He collected oil from aviation shops, which should have been some of the cleanest available.

Unfortunately, someone dumped battery acid, MEK, and other chemicals in their waste tank, which he collected, and eventually passed thru all the filters. When it reached the IDI fuel filter, it disolved the paper media, which *****'d the fuel system big time.

The next problem was when someone dumped dark gray polyurethane paint into the waste tank. This too made it past all the filters, for a while. It eventually clogged most of the drum filters so badly that cleaning them was useless. Some of this paint made it into the IDI, which required a complete dismantling and cleaning of all the fuel system components and replacement of many. Financially, WMO was a definite loss of money, and a huge waste of labor.

Running WMO is a nice idea, but reality can be quite different.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use 5 gal buckets and 400-100 micron screens for 5 gal buckets for an initial filtration. I observe the flow into every bucket and reject parts of batches with water and odd debris. Those buckets are cut with RUG and settle until I need them. I never pour it all out into my fine filtration rig, you don't want any sludge from the bottom. The whole point is to maintain QC from start to finish.

Unfortunately it sounds like your friend wasn't thorough in selecting his source (and the OP here is collecting his own from auto work he performs) or QC'ing what he put into his truck.

On the carbon issue... Most light truck diesels used for short durations that don't get up to a full operating temp or are excessively idled run the risk of carbon buildup. We used to have to run our mix of duramax and powerstroke vehicles at WOT down the runway in Iraq (aka italian tuneup) to clear them out. Kept the maintenance guys happy.

Bottom line, IMHO and not trying to be an ass, but don't blame WMO for bad habits and poor QC.

Last edited:

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With everything I have been reading in the post. It seams like I will stick to running pump fuel. Its not worth the risk to me personally. Yes all the oil in my holding tanks (two 55 gallons drums) is gear. trans, and engine oil that I have changed myself. I see how bad and messed up some of the fluids are when changing them. Whether its lots of clutch material from the trans. Gear oil that has what looks like glitter. Or engine oil that I have changed that look like it also has glitter in the oil. I think I will keep selling the WMO back to the oil recycling company.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I totally understand not taking the risk, especially with very heavily contaminated stuff.

How much do they pay and how picky are they?

I'd rather responsibly recycle what I can't burn (reject/contaminated).

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll share my WMO experience, in hopes it helps someone.

I set up a system for a friend. using large polyester filters over a 55 gal drum, and into 7x32 sock filters. Filtering from 300m down to 1 micron.

Worked great the first few times. He collected oil from aviation shops, which should have been some of the cleanest available.

Unfortunately, someone dumped battery acid, MEK, and other chemicals in their waste tank, which he collected, and eventually passed thru all the filters. When it reached the IDI fuel filter, it disolved the paper media, which *****'d the fuel system big time.

The next problem was when someone dumped dark gray polyurethane paint into the waste tank. This too made it past all the filters, for a while. It eventually clogged most of the drum filters so badly that cleaning them was useless. Some of this paint made it into the IDI, which required a complete dismantling and cleaning of all the fuel system components and replacement of many. Financially, WMO was a definite loss of money, and a huge waste of labor.

Running WMO is a nice idea, but reality can be quite different.

Yep I always steer clear of any hint of painting going on at any pick up location.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use 5 gal buckets and 400-100 micron screens for 5 gal buckets for an initial filtration. I observe the flow into every bucket and reject parts of batches with water and odd debris. Those buckets are cut with RUG and settle until I need them. I never pour it all out into my fine filtration rig, you don't want any sludge from the bottom. The whole point is to maintain QC from start to finish.

Unfortunately it sounds like your friend wasn't thorough in selecting his source (and the OP here is collecting his own from auto work he performs) or QC'ing what he put into his truck.

On the carbon issue... Most light truck diesels used for short durations that don't get up to a full operating temp or are excessively idled run the risk of carbon buildup. We used to have to run our mix of duramax and powerstroke vehicles at WOT down the runway in Iraq (aka italian tuneup) to clear them out. Kept the maintenance guys happy.

Bottom line, IMHO and not trying to be an ass, but don't blame WMO for bad habits and poor QC.

Then I read this! Ha Ha yep!

Last edited:

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I totally understand not taking the risk, especially with very heavily contaminated stuff.

How much do they pay and how picky are they?

I'd rather responsibly recycle what I can't burn (reject/contaminated).
They give me $15 per 55 gallons. so I get $30 when both are full. They send out a big pump truck and suck all the oil out. Whole process takes 10-15min.

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score

I'm not blaming WMO for anything. My point is that even if you have an excellent filtration system, and take great precautions to get uncontaminated oil, you still run a risk of ruining your IDI fuel system.

His filtration system was finer (one micron) than most of the ones described on this and other forums. It worked fine. However, it could not detect small amounts of chemicals and paints, and I haven't seen a home built system that can. So that risk is an unavoidable part of using WMO from outside sources.

He only used oil from aviation shops. 99.99% of aircraft engines are air-cooled, no liquid coolant systems, so the chances of getting used antifreeze is almost zero. Most piston-engined aircraft change their oil after only 25-50 hours of running, so the oil has only a fraction of use automotive oil has. The shops are required by state and federal regulations to recycle their used oil and place all other waste liquids in approved containers for proper disposal. They get inspected by several govt agencies. This greatly decreases the chances of getting oil contaminated with other waste.

My friend took great precautions to obtain good WMO, and filter it properly. However, that wasn't good enough.

I agree, if you can obtain WMO directly from vehicles, the risk of contamination is greatly reduced. Not a lot of us have those sources available.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read it as he wa indiscriminately dumping the av oil through his filtration rig, my error.

Of course anyone running WMO (like myself) is accepting more risk than just running diesel. Hopefully hearing about bad experiences too will help folks decide if they want to take it on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online