4x4 truck shakes

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
machine shops dont typically have a lathe large enough to check it.
around here there are driveline specialty places.

Holy hell. Can I have one problem NOT be a complete pain in my ASS??

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update on the shakes.... spun front yoke - moved freely. Spun tcase yoke - spun free. Shifted into 4x4 with front d-shaft removed and drove it to get out of a skid steer's way and it was fine. I did not get to lift the front and spin the tires with the hubs locked but I'm guessing at this point the problem is probably between the yokes. I will have to examine the u-joints and the driveshaft more closely. Thanks for your help guys. Will update soon.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I jacked up the front one wheel at a time and spun them, then turned right, spun it, turned left, spun it - everything checked out. I have had the axle removed for a couple weeks while I worked on my many other projects so I pulled that from storage and played with the u-joints again... They still moved freely but the cap from one came off and a couple pins fell out. That was enough for me. I ordered two Spicers yesterday. I will update when I have the new ones in and everything back together. Hopefully good news. Thanks for the test ideas.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
having the needles fall out only tells you that you neglected on greasing them.

IMO i would not be changing the u-joints in that front driveshaft without getting it checked.
but we all have time to waste, right?

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
having the needles fall out only tells you that you neglected on greasing them.

IMO i would not be changing the u-joints in that front driveshaft without getting it checked.
but we all have time to waste, right?

After doing the tests suggested I was left with the problem being in the u-joints or the shaft itself. I decided to replace the u-joints with new based on their overall condition. Once they are in and everything is back together I will check it. If the wobble is still there I will see if a local shop can check the shaft for a bend. Seemed like relatively cheap insurance, an easy job and the logical next step. Perhaps you can enlighten me on the wasted time?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
installing new u- joints on a bent driveshaft = time wasted. even if its just pressing u-joints
from the symptoms you described, you would have busted caps in the u-joints etc. if infact it was the u-joints.
i think the driveshaft is junk.
with the way you said it binded, and the u-joints didnt move, i would suspect that its bent..
but then again, im just 2800 miles away, in 60* weather @ 6:44 am, with my medication and a pint of coffee.
lol

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
installing new u- joints on a bent driveshaft = time wasted. even if its just pressing u-joints
from the symptoms you described, you would have busted caps in the u-joints etc. if infact it was the u-joints.
i think the driveshaft is junk.
with the way you said it binded, and the u-joints didnt move, i would suspect that its bent..
but then again, im just 2800 miles away, in 60* weather @ 6:44 am, with my medication and a pint of coffee.
lol

No one suggested that busted caps would be a result of the binding and I didn't know. Replacing the shaft and u-joints at the same time would not have isolated the problem so u-joints first, then shaft. The new joints can go into a replacement shaft if that ends up being the issue. Enjoy your coffee, mine was kick-ass. Some pancakes and an omelet and I got enough sugar and protein to get a freight train movin'. Thanks!

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, what a difference a couple coats of paint make on a rusty, pitted truck part! There was a couple dings in the shaft on the end facing the transfer case that I smoothed out and one knick on the edge of the eyelet for the joint. I ground that out too, but didn't see anything that would suggest damage. Installed new greasable u-joints and put it back in. SUCCESS!!! No more wobble!!!

I mentioned in one of the original posts that the nuts on the u-bolts holding the joints in the yoke were "loose" I found some rust in the yoke face where the joint cap seats and I'm wondering if dirt and rust buildup caused the binding? Or possibly the shaft was able to shift a little when rolling that caused it? When I was under there turning it by hand I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary aside from the binding and then the nuts being loose when I removed it.

Thanks for all your advice and help. The test ideas really helped me narrow my focus on the problem.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well the next time you do this,
check your nuts first...lol
could very well have been your only issue! but now its damn near bran new ;Sweet

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the next time you do this,
check your nuts first...lol
could very well have been your only issue! but now its damn near bran new ;Sweet

Yeah, definitely.... 1. Inspect your shaft VERY closely. 2. Carefully examine your NUTS. 3. Repeat process several times with the help of a female aid :D

All kidding aside, I never considered checking them prior to dis-assembly. I'm glad it worked out the way it did. It's good insurance having new greasable joints in there and knowing it's painted and rust free. The joints I pulled out had "Ford" stamped on them. Obviously not a certainty they were original but something to note. Also, just a little detail I noticed was that the needles in the new u-joints were much bigger than in the old one.

Thanks!