Just picked up yesterday

robertbennet

Reaction score
Just traded my 96 F150 for this 97 f250 psd the transmission pump and torque convert are shot found brass shavings under the dust cover so assuming tranny pump
You must be registered for see images

robertbennet

Reaction score
Open to ideas I plan on pulling the tranny out next weekend but the kid I got it from beat in it both 4wd universals are shot in the axel and the bed has some rot but as far as the transmission he was at a road light and it started pouring fluid he parked it and I aquire 2 months later I pulled the dust cover and found brass and aluminum shavings when I start the truck I leak fluid we shall see what it is

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
x1 million on the ZF5.
the cost will be the same reguardless...

the auto driveshafts should work.

robertbennet

Reaction score
Will the parts in my 2wd spare e4od from an idi fit in the 4wd e40d for the psd meaning the front pump and brass bushing

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ZF's are overrated.
Actually, they're considerably under-rated, based on the designation. The "S5-47" means it's technically _rated_ for 470 ft-lb torque. There are pulling trucks with ZF-S5-47s developing, er, a little more than that.

Comparing any manual to an automatic is apples to oranges anyway. All depends on one's objectives. The E4OD can of course be built to shift faster than any hand on a ZF5 shaker. But if you're looking for simplicity, reliability, and not have to fret over things like your brake lights making your truck run cattywumpus, you go ZF5. Different strokes....