no mill scale!

other than that...

your rig is shaping up to be pretty damn badass!;Sweet

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That looks BADASS! ;Sweet

Are your headlights the stockers or did you go with an updated design?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do u see the mill scale IDI?
headlights are aome hella 5.75" ralleylights.com had for 30$ a piece, they are euro beam

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where do u see the mill scale IDI?
headlights are aome hella 5.75" ralleylights.com had for 30$ a piece, they are euro beam

mill scale = all over your metal.
its the protective coating they put on it.
when welding you need to clean all metal to bright shiny metal.
you will get more penetration, and a nicer weld.
your weld does not look bad, but it makes a HUGE difference.
i dont see any grinding or sanding marks where your welds are.

just tryin to help!

also for max penetration, you should bevel your butt welds.
when you get to grinding it, youll grind the weld off.

but now that its tached, pull the bumper off and clean and weld it from the inside so theres no grinding required!
then you can clean it up any way you wish.;Sweet

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is actually the first time ive heard of mill scale! I shall be grinding the areas where the weld eill be from now on thanks'

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is actually the first time ive heard of mill scale! I shall be grinding the areas where the weld eill be from now on thanks'
Oh yea, always clean/shine where the welds will go. You can run the welder a bit hotter and that will burn the stuff off and still give you a good weld, but it's best if there's nothing to burn off to begin with. Few questions:

1) where are your recovery points? The receiver can obviously be used as one with a shackle on a drawbar, however what if you have the winch in there already and you're doing a double-line pull so you can get down in your rope layers (less rope on drum = more pulling power from winch, and the block will double it on top of that)? If you ever need to hook the winch line to yourself, where do you hook up? Just something to think about...

2) how big is your cross-tubing, that would be the two tubes that hold your receiver? Looks like a 1x1 or 1.25 x 1.25 - in a hard pull you're very likely to bend those. A 1x2 laid on its wider side would have worked out better, you can achieve that easily be adding another cross-tube behind the upper one, this one longer and running from one end to the other behind both the upper tube and the flat plates that hold your bumper to the frame.

3) the bolts holding your bumper in place, are they grade-8 and did you weld them in place and if you did is it a full-perimeter weld or just a few tacks? Grade 5 you can weld all day long no problem, with grade-8 there have been concerns about the heat hardening it too much thus making it brittle. My work around that when it's needed is using a flange-head grade-8 bolt, then do just 3 "heavy" tacks 120 degrees (1/3 turn) apart - if both the bolt and the steel it holds are shined up well that's enough for good penetration to hold the thing still while fighting a potential rusted-on nut in the future, but still not hot enough to mess up with the bolt metalurgy itself, and furthermore the flanged head provides better clamp load spread and thus much less likely to tear the metal if bolt is put in heavy tension.

Not nit-picking your work, just trying to provide some constructive criticism. And now here's another suggestion - from the bottom of your front plate, weld another one down (maybe 2-3" tall), and angle it back - the idea is to hide that factory crossmember under the bumper as that thing will get caught on everything. This additional plate will reinforce your bumper, hide the crossmember, and with proper gusseting and tabbing will give you two more attachments points for the bumper to frame (I see there is a hole under the factory crossmember under each frame rail, looks like at leas 7/16" in size, use those!)

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wowee thats a long response, i gotta hit the sack here so ill explain better tomoro. basicaly bumper isnt 100% done yet. LCAM ill respond to your Pm tonorrow as well.
But main concern right now is still the starting.
i know i have fuel cuz it smokes noce out the pipe while cranking. glowplugs are good i see them get res hot within 4 seconds. All berus tested fine. Fuel filter os full. Could it be the pump timing thats making it a hard start? garys meter will be here soon so well see but i dont expect it to be severely off..
Cranks cranks cranks, coughs spitters, lights off revs up, dies.
i havent checked compression but never had this issue. And runs mint once its off.
The quest continues!
Also
My body touches the frame a but on one of my homemade floor cross membes :( the front 2 body mounta ge really squished down before theyres any torquemon the bolt. Its different than the middle and rear ones. Seeeing if maybe i can get a spare set of upper rear ones to put in the front, or swap them front to rear.. Bit of work but well see.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured the bumper wasn't done completely, that's why I was throwing ideas your way, maybe use some of them while it's still fairly easy to add and/or change stuff.

Regarding your front mounts, sounds like your sleeves inside them are a bit too short. If you can grab longer sleeves from something that could fix the issue, if not you can always add a few wide washers as spacers between the upper half of the body mounts and the cab crossmember that rests on them.

Your hard start, well full filter suggests the 1-way valve in the e-pump is holding properly. You also have no leaks at the WIF sensor or the water drain. Sure sounds like either the timing is way off, or the injection pump is being problematic. Remind me again, what's the IP's back-story? (too many pages in this thread to keep track of everything)

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IP back story, just a stock pump. Unknown miles. No hot start issues though. Timing-we will see. I need to put my drain line back on from filter head to injector cap. My bolt with FI clamp isnt working and Im leaking diesel all over the engine. Back to square one lol.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive been driving it everyday since thursday now. I have yet to pass 800 degrees foot into it, even though i do see some black haze at WOT and higher RPM. just a maxed out stock pump. I am running a 6.0 intercooler and 3" piping, 3" downpipe, 14cm exhaust housing. Love my new fan and oem thermostat, never gets hot (then again temps are still cool), I see it hover between 182 and 191. Has good pull to it. Dont know what a stock newer truck feels like but its definitly no slouch right now even on 37s and 3.73 gear. I need ot get a curb weight on it.
Fuel mileage isnt great. Im not romping on it very much either. I cant tell you mpg figure, but seems the needle moves quite quickly even on my 45 gal tank. I also need to time it still.
Dont remebr if i posted but way back in august when i got my body mounts, I was missing the upper 2 mounts. they sent me 2 new ones, but clearly they are not from the same series. They are of a different material, and are very soft and deform before getting any real torque on the bolt. the other 2 are fine. Energy wont sell me just 2, I am trying to work with Meezer auto group whom i purchased it from thru amazon to see if they can trade me these ones for another set of rear uppers or something. My body is hitting my frame because of this :(

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok got the truck back from discount tire for a tire rebalance again...1/4 of my rear wheel is hammered on weights. Others are normal looking argh. I dont think its the tire but...maybe. Anyway i go rock the truck back and forth pressing against the wheel (lateraly) becuase it looks like the wheel si bent?! it was fine this morning, I dont know if they rotated them or not. Anyway, i feel a clicking/looseness, more so rear driver than rear passenger. Could I have improperly tightened (or not enough) that ratcheting bearings? I defintiyl want em tight before a 600 mile trip!

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok got the truck back from discount tire for a tire rebalance again...1/4 of my rear wheel is hammered on weights. Others are normal looking argh. I dont think its the tire but...maybe. Anyway i go rock the truck back and forth pressing against the wheel (lateraly) becuase it looks like the wheel si bent?! it was fine this morning, I dont know if they rotated them or not. Anyway, i feel a clicking/looseness, more so rear driver than rear passenger. Could I have improperly tightened (or not enough) that ratcheting bearings? I defintiyl want em tight before a 600 mile trip!

One way to check the bearings - pull the shafts and undo the nut and retorque it. Easy enough, and doesn't take long.

Not sure how such a big wheel can get bent without you noticing it while driving. It's probably the tire tho, won't be the first time a set of four has a bad apple in it. May wanna look into the Centramatics wheel balancers, they go over the hub under the wheel and dynamically balance the thing as you drive, very much like how some folks put BBS in their oversized tires.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About the cab mounts, it shouldn't matter how soft or hard the material is, what creates "torque" in the bolt is the steel sleeve inside the bushing the bolt passes thru. f you don't have those sleeves something is messed up with your kit. Other than the missing two front uppers that is... So basically a soft bushing will squish faster and easier than a hard one, but they will both squish by the same amount because this is determined by the length of the inside sleeve.

Also IMHO 180-190 is too cold for a diesel. Ours tends to get best fuel economy at 210-220, even the E-fan is set to come on at 235 and shut off at 220-225. We have quite a few miles on this thing, every time she ran cool (below 200) for whatever reason she also got lousy MPG and power didn't seem quite as good either.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
intersting about the temp. what stat you have in it? I had an unknown brand in there before from whenever it was done by the PO and it would be around 220-which is fine by me, but when idling in the summer it would creep up and go to 240-250..But then again, my fan clutch was probably shot. Its all OEM now.

as to my body mount kit-it was sparce, came with jsu thte bushings and thats itr. I hafd to make my own sleeves, bolts, washers etc. I guess they want you to reuuse your old hardware. However up here, if your doing body mounts, chances are your hardware isnt going to survive the replacement either. Regarding the sleeve being too short, in my case now-there is no doubt I made the sleeve too short then!. I used some 1/4" wall 1" OD tube for it, and a 3/4" bolt to hold it all together. My sleeve I am betting is probably an inch too short or so. no big deal, Ill grab some more pipe and cut it to length