Bad U Joints?

rellerman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1993 F-250 Ex. cab long bed, 5spd with the factory turbo'ed 7.3. I knew when a I bought it that the U Joints were bad, as I could hear them clank when I put the truck in reverse. Just today it started shuddering (not the best at to describe it) in 2nd and 3rd gear. The engine idles smooth and it doesn't sound as if it's missing. It also doesn't happen at higher speeds in higher gears. Any idea what might be causing that? It has 315k on the engine, per the odo, and supposedly 15k on a rebuilt trans, though he didn't have any paper work to prove it.

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your drive shaft center support bearing. I had in my truck before I was cruising at 55 mph, stopped at a light and once I started moving again at about 20 mph it started shuddering. It was the center support bearing on mine.

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^Same thing for me. It's a pretty violent shake, especially if the rubber bushing is worn away and it's the bearing banging against the hangar.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is the DS dented at all?
go under the truck and try to wiggle it.
if your U-joints are new, i would say carrier bearing also, but a worn out cap will do the same.

i also had this issue, but it happened to be the slipyoke after the carrier.

rellerman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies, I'll check it out today after work. Side question, what's that black sponge like piece under the air filter for?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the pre-filter. The idea behind it is that you keep it oiled, and it makes your paper filter last longer. The downside is you need to clean it often.

rellerman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The drive shaft does have some play in it, so I think I'm going to replace the u joints, and the center support bearing. Is it a pretty quick job?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
The Carrier Bearing needs to be pressed/driven off and then new one pressed/driven back on.

If it were me and I had to do a carrier bearing, I would remove the entire drive shaft from the transmission to the rear differential and the carrier bearing, and take it to a REPUTABLE driveline shop. I have a buddy at work (He is a "Jeep Guy" and does a lot of work on them) has a "driveline guy" (a good friend/jeep buddy) so I would take it to my buddy at work, so he could take it to this shop........ for me the cost is minimal compared to trying to swap the carrier bearing......

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i just had mine redone,
new carrier bearing, and all 3 splicer u-joints 225 bucks.
sure you can use the ole hammer and socket technique, but he had it done in a day, and all i had to do was install it

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
i just had mine redone,
new carrier bearing, and all 3 splicer u-joints 225 bucks.
sure you can use the ole hammer and socket technique, but he had it done in a day, and all i had to do was install it

If you have a NAPA with a machine shop near by, it's $15 per u-joint replacement and I think $30 for a carrier bearing.

rellerman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am definitely still going to replace the U joints, but just wanted to post a quick update. I had my buddy ride with me, then drive it as well, and he seemed to think it was a miss. The truck does shake pretty bad in 2nd and 3rd gear up until about 30-35MPH but idles smooth. And that shake turns into a vibration at 35MPH and continues to vibrate until you slow down. As I was coasting to a stop, I had it in 2nd gear with the clutch in and as it hit that 15-20MPH slowing down, it had a little shudder/shake to it, like the one when accelerating at the that speed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01