SPIDER INFESTATION!!!

Runningaford

Reaction score
Diatomaceous earth spread in, and around the rig? I'd have thought the peppermint oil would've worked.. I think that's one of the primary ingredients of many of the 'natural' insecticides out there. ......Some of these responses got me laughing, down in Az, black widows are on, and in everything; scares the crap out of ya! I recently was talking to a tire guy at discount tire about the stuff they find, and he pulled out a bottle of raid; he said he regularly got vehicles in that were loaded with spiders behind the wheels......... NO THANKS!

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to the Home Depot or lowes & get yourself a 3 pack of hot shot foggers. Make sure it specifies that it's effective for black widows on instructions.
Take out all your personal belongings, throw a fogger in cab & make sure all doors & windows are closed. don't come back to it for a few hours.
Then open all windows & using an all purpose cleaner, wipe down all surfaces that you may touch. Job done.

SDEconVan

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Runningaford- the place the van was stored for decades was like that, up north in the Berkely/Oakland CA area, in a barn/shed on the shaded side of a large house overgrown with trees, moist/damp spongy soil, and the dirt was the result of many years of falling leaves and vegetation. My ClubWagon had two "populations" of bugs: snails and spiders. Also, every seam/crack was gagged with rotted leaves/dirt, some pockets were about a FOOT DEEP, like the rad support and the pocket just in front of the front door pillars. Funny, one pocket was over a foot deep in snail shells (empty dry) but no rodent crap so maybe the spiders(?) then another pocket would be full of dirt/soil, and the wheel hub caps were PACKED with those white fuzz ball spider nests. One rear wheel cap was SOLID nests, and the rear brake drums had fuzz ball nests INSIDE the drums/backing plates. I cleaned up what I could, a guy wanted the hubcaps real bad so I sold them "as is" ha ha, and wire brushed the remainder, NEVER SEEING A SINGLE LIVING SPIDER. So I thought, "they were like the dinosaurs, they thrived, peaked and now only their webs and fuzz balls remain..." Obviously, I was wrong. I have aftermarket wheels and the front axle is completely different (4x4) as are many other components (trans, transfer case, d-shafts.) Surprisingly the underside panels are clean, no webs, no shells, no soil.

Hydro-idi- I been doing a lot of reading on this now, and the consensus is the foggers kill insects but NOT arachnids (spiders,) because the poison must contact the bugs' body and with longer legs and webs to travel on, the spiders almost never get any fog residue on them. Most insects DO get the poisons on their bodies, and die. So when a fogger is used, the FOOD SOURCE OF BUGS GOES and thus, the spiders go. Now, I am giving this some serious thought, starve the F*(&ing spiders out of my rig. Also, who knows, there could be a bunch of other unseen crawlies in my van, in spite of how clean the interior looks (check my video of right before I took delivery of it (link below).)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tppYgMSPhW4

(You wouldn't think there was a single bug on that van, from looking at the video)

All this said, I found several websites that WARNED AGAINST bug bombing because the stuff can combust (???/!!!) I pictured putting plastic sheet over the engine/windshield area and bombing it, and one bomb inside, so jury is still out on that one. I like the idea so far (sans explosion...) Wished I still had the 10 foot tall workstall where I converted the van to 4x4, I could have bombed the entire stall with MY VAN IN IT. (van is high rider, won't go into a garage any more.)

jwalterus- Yes, I got that info the first time, thank you very much. I asked a question about the need for CONTACT with the spiders. Seems the only way to KILL WITH POISON IS ACTUAL POISON CONTACT.
Here was that question to you, post number #8:

Then there's insecticide, like jwalterus suggests, the stuff is spendy but sounds industrial.
On Amazon I see 8oz for 31 smackers, delivered (Demand CS) and 43 for 3/4 gal of Talstar.
I need to know if direct contact must be made with these?

I found the stuff on Amazon, but I want to know what you know, or find out how to get the stuff ON THE SPIDER'S BODIES.

I'm at a bit of a stale mate, I got to get rid of these things, one forum had a gal who went out to her Lincoln at 2AM several nights in a row and sprayed them whilst shining a flashlight on them widows. Said she got rid of them for about 2 months, then they came back.

Oh, Runningaford, the van is parked in a residential area, mostly paved, what little soil is sandy with high quartz/garnet content, not very moist. The location is less than half mile from Pacific Ocean, with prevailing winds onshore (ocean, ON to my van.) Salt air is the main corrosive issue in my area.

Any more info or guidance is MUCH APPRECIATED, THANK YOU;Sweet

Best regards,
George

Last edited:

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
Then there's insecticide, like jwalterus suggests, the stuff is spendy but sounds industrial.
On Amazon I see 8oz for 31 smackers, delivered (Demand CS) and 43 for 3/4 gal of Talstar.
I need to know if direct contact must be made with these?

I found the stuff on Amazon, but I want to know what you know, or find out how to get the stuff ON THE SPIDER'S BODIES.

honestly, you just asked for a small lesson in pesticides...... LOL
I'll try to keep it simple, it's 10 minutes talking in person to explain it completely
these are called microencapsulated products, they are essentially beads suspended in solution, just a few microns (Demand has a diameter of 2.5-12) in diameter, this means at the suggested application rate, one cm has about 700 capsules in the treated area, which is 30 times the lethal dose for insects, spiders, and cockroaches
spray all hard surfaces, once it dries, it's safe for people and pets because they are too small for your skin or clothing to pick up ;Sweet
spiders and the like cross the treated area and pick them up, once in contact the capsules break and release their chemical onto the body of the "host", this is why it's not considered an immediate knockdown product, and if the capsules break on the surface treated, insects pick up the chemical from the surface rather than the capsules

I can tell you more if you want LOL

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I like to do with any project car thats been sitting for years... Go get a box of house bug bombs... Roll the windows up... sit the truck out in the open and set off 1 or 2 of them inside the truck with everything sealed up (make sure batteries are unhooked). They wont cause damage and they'll kill off hidden wasps, etc...

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The black widows here laugh at over the counter sprays. My favorite way of killing them is... Headliner spray. It stops them dead in their tracks, can't move, and they die. I'm not sure if it's something in it that causes the death or if they are suffocating? But it makes it impossible for them to retreat which is nice. For your situation I would purchase a fogger and fog the entire vehicle with a strong pesticide. Remove door panels and head liner first. We have some spiders living in the head liner of our 2014 nissan. It's not enough to need to deal with but it does get old driving down the road and spiders land in your lap, or dangle in front of your face .

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The foggers will work for black widows if you buy the one that specifies them on the pesticide label. Fog will go into areas that they hide. Job done & move on to something else.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was in Walmart tonight and in the boating supplies there was a product made by Star Brite named Spider Away. It says Shoos spiders away lasts 3 - 6 months.

Hope this helps.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
Was in Walmart tonight and in the boating supplies there was a product made by Star Brite named Spider Away. It says Shoos spiders away lasts 3 - 6 months.

pepperment oil 2.5% ,acetic acid in solution 7% (vinegar) , 90.5% water

your trucks gonna smell like a candy cane had *** with a pickle :rotflmao

SDEconVan

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SPIDER INFESTATION!!! *****update*****

I was in the process of getting the microbead stuff as it made sense, but thought I would try one more thing.

I think Black Widows are lazy, they seem like they don't like to make webs over-and-over. The reason I say
this is, every coupla days I took their webs down by hand (I know, BW's are 15 times more poisonous than
the worst rattler here in Southern Kommyfornia,) and after two weeks, it seems to have worked.

NO SPIDER WEBS FOR THE LAST WEEK!!!

I also sprayed the RAID for spiders every time, and expanded the areas sprayed to the underhood deadener
stuff, the front door jamb/front fender areas, and the interior...

...about 5 days into this, I sat down to start the engine and put my hand through a *** of spider webs between
the turn signal stalk and dash board where it says "Glow Plugs".:eek:
(to think for the last year, I've been working on this van, with my arm up to my armpit, reaching into places
I now wouldn't without a longsleeved and gloves on.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Now I'll just wait and see if they got EVICTED or not...

...till then I can enjoy working spider-free, Thank you Members for all your help!

Best regards,
George

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
propane torch worked well for getting rid of the many wolf and black widow spiders in my garage, followed up with poison.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online

Members online