white smoke... almost all the time :(

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck has for almost as long as i have had it, blown some white smoke. At idle it doesn't that i can see, but when it just starts up it blows a lot of white, but it smells like fuel, burns my eyes. No sweet smell or smell like antifreeze. When i take off, even when its warm, it will blow black when i really get on it, or shift through the gears but anything over idle when driving it seems to blow white, or possibly gray. Anyways, i ran it a little low on oil once, i think i was about 5 quarts low or so. Also, when it start it up, it has a knocking, or ticking noise, almost in between. Maybe its out of time, or maybe its just me and these old idi's sound like that. But when its at idle and i raise the rpms a little, it goes away, and almost comes back at a higher rpm. Other than that, runs great. The glow plugs don't work now, so i start it with ether a little. Glow plugs come tomorrow hopefully. So i dont know if it starts hard. when its warm though, it starts right up and the truck runs great otherwise. any ideas?

smokinbaby

coal lover
Reaction score
sounds like injectors or timing.. white smoke is either a fuel problem or a coolant problem... do you have any coolant loss?

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, i have driven it probably over a thousand miles, or about a thousand miles, and no coolant loss at all. i topped it off a week ago, but it wasn't down much at all, and it was at the same spot when i bought it. Could i have lo compression due to low oil level before? oh, and it has gcodes for injectors. need to get em changed

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The white smoke is fuel from cold combustion when you start it up. The white/grey is likely the same thing, but like stated above, it sounds like you have an injector or injectors that have seen better days. A few are likely leaking and/or have a poor spray pattern/low pop pressure.

Timing can also play a role.

Heath

86ford69

86 Ford F250 6.9
Reaction score
Mine does the same thing. Same knock slash tap. Same white smoke sith strong diesel smell same hard start and injector issue. I advanced the timing last week it didnt help. Smokes lime crazy when it cold but after 10 mins or so its fine. No black smoke just some grey when I mash it or run it up to 2500. Im seriously leaning towards injectors.

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
smoke

I had a lot of white smoke when I first got my truck...but mostly at start up and idle. I advanced the timing a dimes width and it went away.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
could be either because I have had two trucks do this to me and new injectors fixed both of them. the bottom line is you have fuel getting through there almost completely unburnt. could be the injectors bleeding off or an ip problem

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When using that ether to start, have the hood open so it don't get damaged when a head blows, or maybe it will tick and/or knock because the rods are bent.

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, i had to get to work, so i used ether, couldn't push start it by myself, 8000 pounds is too much for me to push. Now i got glow plugs, ether doesn't hurt too much in small doses. Still, if it is pushing too much fuel tho, why is it whity/grey/blue? I get on it, and it blows black mixed with white or grey smoke. If it was too much fuel, wouldn't it be just black??

OnDaRoad

On the road ....
Reaction score
My truck has for almost as long as i have had it, blown some white smoke. At idle it doesn't that i can see, but when it just starts up it blows a lot of white, but it smells like fuel, burns my eyes. No sweet smell or smell like antifreeze. When i take off, even when its warm, it will blow black when i really get on it, or shift through the gears but anything over idle when driving it seems to blow white, or possibly gray. Anyways, i ran it a little low on oil once, i think i was about 5 quarts low or so. Also, when it start it up, it has a knocking, or ticking noise, almost in between. Maybe its out of time, or maybe its just me and these old idi's sound like that. But when its at idle and i raise the rpms a little, it goes away, and almost comes back at a higher rpm. Other than that, runs great. The glow plugs don't work now, so i start it with ether a little. Glow plugs come tomorrow hopefully. So i dont know if it starts hard. when its warm though, it starts right up and the truck runs great otherwise. any ideas?

For starters never use ether on a diesel engine with glow plugs :rolleyes:

Instead of guessing invest $100 in a compression test from
a reputable diesel shop on all (8) cylinders

Baed upon those results - take corrective action

Jim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online