Steering ISSUE fix - Drag link roll causing dead spot

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not.
before you made these I went with the carriack steering.
im just a middle man. and don't have another rig that's running

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't picked mine up yet, not even sure it has been delivered. I only leave the farm once a week or so to go get the mail and any delivered packages.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can anyone yet confirm or deny that they will work with Moog steering links? I put all new Moog parts on mine so I was hesitant.

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is all MOOG as well and I figured I may have to do a little hand fitting, which is ok with me.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe they will fit Moog. Worst case it might be a little long or short, but the boot side should be fine. You can get the boot off without wrecking it - use a utility knife as a wedge to tap between the boot and the TRE to start separating it. Will pop right off.

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, did anyone install one yet? :popcorn
No, not yet... Mine doesn't arrive 'till tomorrow...

Will be installing the cure sometime this weekend...

Mblaney, thanks bigly for these fantastic pieces! I can't wait and will be reporting back as soon as it's installed!

MOWOG

Gearhead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
UPS guy dropped it off an Saturday (very nice packaging job, Brian!), but haven't got it installed yet. I wanted to get one of those splitters to try out. Right now I'm trying to fix some problems that I created on the truck before I head out on vacation. Thanks Mblaney!

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's here yet. I'll have to talk to the wife. she has a habit of bringing in the mail and forgetting where she put it.

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know it's a bit late to help on your install but, I picked up one of these when I was working on my Jetta:

You must be registered for see images attach

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-quarter-inch-forged-ball-joint-separator-99849.html

I also used it when replacing all the tie-rods on the 2000 Crown Vic a few weeks ago. Tighten it with a 3/4 wrench or socket, and after a few turns, you get a nice bang like a gunshot and the tie-rod or similar joint is apart, with no damage to the joint or boot!!!!!!! Much better than a pickle fork.......
But will it work with our oversized and heavy-duty TREs? If anybody has used these on their trucks, I'd like to know about it...

Thanks!

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, As promised, pictures of the actual tool....

The 4 individual pieces, disassembled:

Small Setting, Maximum Jaw Opening:

Large Setting, Maximum Jaw Opening:

Positioned in "In-Use" Position, on a dead Crown Vic TRE, Maximum Opening:

Adjusted for proper positioning: (This is in the Smaller Setting configuration, from above)

Side View, proper adjustment:

As you can see, this is a fairly decent sized tool. The 2 lever portions of the body are cast iron or steel, and the pin and bolt are machined fairly well. It's is not a light piece, I'd say a pound to a pound and a half (I'd weigh it, but Momma would be a bit unhappy if I put a greasy tool on her kitchen scale.....)

I've removed at least a dozen joints with the tool in the pictures, and the tool shows no real signs of wear, other than the paint that has worn off the threads...

Last minute bonus picture..... Just in the the sauna (well driveway, but we've had a stormy week here in Central Indiana, and the heat index is pushing 100 at the moment, and I don't do heat well)

Here is the tool, held in position on the passenger side TRE on the D-50 Mono-beam in my 03 Excursion (F-250 Equivalent). From what I've seen, the D-60 in the 97 and older, and the D-50 in the 99+ Super Duty trucks are of a similar size. I am just holding it, as I need to replace the TRE's but not today, and didn't want to chance damaging the boot. (On every other joint, I've not damaged a boot, but just my luck, I would on this one) I do have some opening to spare. The ends opposite the jaws ARE NOT TOUCHING inside my hand, I still had more I could open the jaws.

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Snicklas!

I did look at the one at my harbor freight and I didn't have enough foresight to carry my tape measure with me... So I decided to check out Advance auto and they had a similar one for 24 bux, but they wouldn't let me open it to measure the opening...

Ended up getting their front end service loaner tool...

That set has a really big and beefy tie rod puller like the Harbor Freight one... Just really bigger...

Will tackle it in the morning...

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An old trick I learned back in the ice ages: hit the tapered arm at 90 degrees to the tie rod end hard, and the tie rod will loosed and come out. Use a 5 pound hammer.

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well guys, I haven't had the chance to install the cure and now that tropical storm looks like I'm going to have a deluge... Sunday I might get some drying off time... Will have to see...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online

No members online now.