big fuel tank options?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Not fair I want a tank that size for the rear...

No you don't Al. Right now it is almost 2 bills ($175-$200) USD to fill it up. This morning on the way to work my usual station was $3.539. I was almost empty, and put $30 in cause I was in a hurry and that gave me right at 1/4 tank (slightly over 8 gal US) If I were to fill up, it would have been almost $150 to fill the tank. Diesel is down here at the moment, it was at $3.99+ USD a few weeks ago, that would have been over $175...... I don't fill it completely full much anymore......

Too bad I can't burn the red stuff in the next pump over..... it is only 3 bucks a gallon. But the chance at the $10,000 tax evasion fine makes it not really worth it.........

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but doesnt matter how big the tank is really, you can choose to put in 10$ or 150$. Its nice to have the capicity when you need it when doing a cross country run or something.
Whether you put in 20 bucks a week or 100 a month, you will still use the same amount of fuel to get wherever you need to go. Just nice to have the capacity available.

a not nic ething im seeing though, is apparent you have to cut out a rear cross member to fit the rear tank..no way! but i saw this on a 250, maybe they dont have dual tanks? Or do 05+ just not run behind the axle tanks at all? either way i want all teh cross bracing I can get in the frame. we shall see on monday.

diesel by me is 3.78 currently..thats right at a buck a litre, diesel in ontario is currently 1.25 a litre! and was 1.40 even. ontario is nuuutttsss.

but i do agree..i would hate to fill that big tank..just feels so bad having that much money drained out.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
but doesnt matter how big the tank is really, you can choose to put in 10$ or 150$. Its nice to have the capicity when you need it when doing a cross country run or something.
Whether you put in 20 bucks a week or 100 a month, you will still use the same amount of fuel to get wherever you need to go. Just nice to have the capacity available.

a not nic ething im seeing though, is apparent you have to cut out a rear cross member to fit the rear tank..no way! but i saw this on a 250, maybe they dont have dual tanks? Or do 05+ just not run behind the axle tanks at all? either way i want all teh cross bracing I can get in the frame. we shall see on monday.

diesel by me is 3.78 currently..thats right at a buck a litre, diesel in ontario is currently 1.25 a litre! and was 1.40 even. ontario is nuuutttsss.

but i do agree..i would hate to fill that big tank..just feels so bad having that much money drained out.

True, I still use the same amount, it just doesn't seem as painful $20 at a time.....

On the 99+ SuperDuty Pickups, the ran a single, 30-something gallon midship tank. No dual tank option on the SuperDuty. The only SuperDuty Chassis that I know that ran a Single rear tank are the 2000-2005 Excursion, and I believe the C&C Pickups F-350+, because I remember seeing the tank in the rear on trucks with flat and service beds on them. If the SuperDuty Chassis had a pickup box on it, it was a midship mount tank. Drivers side of vehicle, under cab/front of bed, between the Drivers frame rail and the driveshaft, behind the transmission/transfer case, in front of the rear axle. The space in the rear behind the axle in the pickups was for the spare...... yea, they still have not figured out a good place to put the spare since the 70's dentside F-350 Camper Specials that is went inside a compartment on the passenger side of the bed........

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couple thought I haven't seen mentioned yet:

44 gallons of fuel is somewhere around 300 pounds.

Could be a negative - decreased mpg due to the extra weight. Probably negligible though.

Then again I probably have an extra 300 pounds of tools, parts, and misc. junk rolling around in mine at any given time.

If we were that concerned with mpg, we'd probably be driving something else.......

A plus could be filling the tank to add extra ballast to the ass end of the truck for traction. I know I could tell a difference on ice covered roads just by throwing my fifth wheel hitch in the back of the bed.

Basically, I'd like the extra capacity as well - I'd hardly ever fill it, but I'm a guy that likes having options.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
options are always great, and that is actually my main though-ballast in the winter. The further behind the rear axle, the bigger lever arm as well. 300 pounds is good and wont take up bed space like the sandbags did.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No you don't Al. Right now it is almost 2 bills ($175-$200) USD to fill it up. This morning on the way to work my usual station was $3.539. I was almost empty, and put $30 in cause I was in a hurry and that gave me right at 1/4 tank (slightly over 8 gal US) If I were to fill up, it would have been almost $150 to fill the tank. Diesel is down here at the moment, it was at $3.99+ USD a few weeks ago, that would have been over $175...... I don't fill it completely full much anymore......

Too bad I can't burn the red stuff in the next pump over..... it is only 3 bucks a gallon. But the chance at the $10,000 tax evasion fine makes it not really worth it.........

YES I DO, cause I could come down there and fuel up....up heere it's around 1.43 L or $5.57 so you figure it out?????

Ya it's that much here so stop whining!

I want BIG tank and fuel up in WA just for that reason.

I save 30 bucks filling the Ranger in US per tank....including exchange imagine my savings on a tank that big!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your basicaly making money at that point! might as well buy some more car parts then with all that free money you made lol.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
YES I DO, cause I could come down there and fuel up....up heere it's around 1.43 L or $5.57 so you figure it out?????

Does that price come with a jar of Vaseline? I would hope so..... or would they just put sand in it........ Ill keep my price then..... That does sting......

eastsideauto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Superduty vans, E350 and E450, have a 55gallon tank mounted at the rear between the rails. Been wanting to try that, just haven't got around to it yet

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
yea, they still have not figured out a good place to put the spare since the 70's dentside F-350 Camper Specials that is went inside a compartment on the passenger side of the bed........
I remember that. I would like to see pictures to see how that was done.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

One thing on these, this was a specific truck and package. I only remember seeing this in the dentside (73-79) F-350 Camper Special. On these truck, the rear axle was closer to the rear of the truck than a standard F-250 or F-350, so the space between the front of the bed and the rear axle was longer.

Notice how far the axle is back in this picture:

You must be registered for see images attach

On the standard F-250 and F-350 had an option of a toolbox in about the same location, but it was not as big as the spare tire carrier. We had a 73 F-250 that had a toolbox....

You must be registered for see images

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^^ Wow, a whole different wheelbase / frame, bed, etc! Those must be extremely rare these days, like the early '60s integrated-bed trucks.

Even the tool box in the trucks with the conventional frame and bed were awesome. Shame they ever did away with it.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
I never realized that the axle was moved back. That was a cool idea. It beets trying to get our out on the side of the road,in the rain, lol. Is that a currant pic of that truck? That thing is nice.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On these truck, the rear axle was closer to the rear of the truck than a standard F-250 or F-350, so the space between the front of the bed and the rear axle was longer. Notice how far the axle is back in this picture:

I believe Ford called this the "Super Camper Special" package - can't imagine too many of these were made back in the day. Always loved that little tool box on the bedside. This tool box option was also available in the bumpside trucks too. The tool box area was one of the first places the salt ate the body up.

Thanks for posting up those pics - nice little walk through the past.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Is that a currant pic of that truck? That thing is nice.

I have no idea, I stole those pics from google..... I have only seen 1 of these trucks, and it was the same paint scheme, but red instead of blue. Our 73 is long gone, not sure if it still even exists, it was traded in on our 83 F-150 4x4 in 1986....... and I know our 83 does not exist anymore, the engine blew and it was sold. The cab went on a truck that had been rolled and the frame was cut in half and the bed, frame and rear axle were made into a trailer.